How many people actually look at the DECK?

This is where we place discussions and conversations about the Lakewood Observer Observation Deck.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Patrick Wadden

How many people actually look at the DECK?

Postby Patrick Wadden » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:50 pm

Jim,

As a life long Lakewoodite who enjoys the back and forth of the deck, I would like to know how many people look at posts on the DECK.

Some of these posts seem to get thousands of views but I am courious if these are discrete views. My gut tells me that these are a total of views accumulated by the same person checking in on the deck to see if there was something new to look at. I do it every day.

Although I don't chose to comment on every post, I am wondering how the "views" are measured?

The "Wake up Lakewood" post has 848 views. Is that 848 made up of my 9 views when I was checking on the post to see who and what was said? Are these individual views or is that a total number by all people that check the Deck 6 times a day like me?
Attachments
image.png
image.png (163.81 KiB) Viewed 65094 times

Bridget Conant

Re: How many people actually look at the DECK?

Postby Bridget Conant » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:13 am

Apparently, LOTS of people, including those who haven't bothered to register to post.

It's one of those things like driving by a train wreck - even if you claim to hate the Deck, ya gotta look!

Patrick Wadden

Postby Patrick Wadden » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:19 am

Great point B. LOL. So did 18 individual people look at my post or was the 18 made up of my 6 times checking to see if someone responded?
Attachments
image.png
image.png (169.38 KiB) Viewed 65073 times

Patrick Wadden

Postby Patrick Wadden » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:33 am

Now it's up to 35!!!!! Is that Bridget Condent checking to see if people commented? Or is it actual views?
Attachments
image.png
image.png (168.74 KiB) Viewed 65058 times

Patrick Wadden

Postby Patrick Wadden » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:00 am

Nor sure why Bridget decided to troll this post( MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE TYPED IT IN ALL CAPS)but I have to hop on a Saturday call with Austrailia. Back to the original question: So are the views individual or are they total of views by the same people who check in multiple times?? I will check back on this post tomorrow.
Last edited by Patrick Wadden on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:25 am

I think that Kevin Butler looks at the Deck, because when I post about how he has violated the law by failing to properly respond to dozens of requests, he gives me a token response to one of my requests. Of course, he could be having Jenn Pae or another City Hall employee or sort of former City Hall employee like Rick Alltricks watch for him. So count at least "one" person in your tallying on that score to be conservative,

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:32 am

It is a WMMS scoring system, one person gets many votes.

Personally I don't think this is good or bad, it is what it is.

Corey Rossen

"I have neither aligned myself with SLH, nor BL." ~ Jim O'Bryan

"I am not neutral." ~Jim O'Bryan

"I am not here to stir up anything." ~Jim O'Bryan
Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:43 am

Corey Rossen wrote:It is a WMMS scoring system, one person gets many votes.

Corey,

I just noticed that I joined the Deck 9 years after you, and I am only 10 posts behind you.

So would it seem to you that I am getting more "votes" and having had a greater impact in a shorter time frame?

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:54 am

In my experience (which is quite extensive) this is definitely the top Lakewood news destination.

*As we all know, the "movers and shakers" all read this forum regularly.....especially the ones that claim "noone reads the Deck". Essi points out Butler's pattern of response....we also see City Hall jumping in to comment in specific non-hospital spots (for example, Gilman answering Lori's question about Plover). This is the only City Hall in America where the PR job is shared between the Finance Director and the Fire Chief....Gilman is the only one willing to respond here, while Pae is in charge of the fake "Lakewood Community" facebook page.

*I'm active here and on many of the Lakewood Facebook pages. However, I definitely get the most feedback from stuff I post here. Even when I meet strangers, they recognize my name from the Deck....moreso than from my print articles or any of my Facebook postings.

*As mentioned on another thread, the Buzz is dead. It had a mild resurgence before the election...with many of its discussion threads being about Deck topics. Essi was a major topic of discussion over there.

*I've noticed some BL folks llurking here in recent weeks. They never respond, of course...just look. As with all social media sites, the vast majority of visitors are voyeurs, not participants.

Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:10 am

Brian Essi wrote:
Corey Rossen wrote:It is a WMMS scoring system, one person gets many votes.

Corey,

I just noticed that I joined the Deck 9 years after you, and I am only 10 posts behind you.

So would it seem to you that I am getting more "votes" and having had a greater impact in a shorter time frame?

Okay. But your votes seem to go to the other team.

This topic really doesn't matter to me. It is rally scoring, no big deal.

They are really votes, you do know that, right?

Corey Rossen

"I have neither aligned myself with SLH, nor BL." ~ Jim O'Bryan

"I am not neutral." ~Jim O'Bryan

"I am not here to stir up anything." ~Jim O'Bryan
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:33 pm

I don't get why this needs to be explained. Views are views. They are a cumulative number of clicks on a given subject. It's not an exact representation of individuals who have read the thread, but it does indicate its relative popularity, unless some troll is stuffing the ballot box - I don't think that has happened much recently. It's not totally accurate, but it is the count that we have. If a topic has a handful of views, it's not getting much attention, but once it reaches 500, 1000, 4000, you know a ton of people are looking at it I leave it to JOB to correct me if I'm wrong. It's evident that the city's decision makers are paying attention, except for those who boycott the deck out of some misguided boycott. However unpleasant it may be to them, they are doing themselves a disservice.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:37 pm

Patrick Wadden wrote:Jim,

As a life long Lakewoodite who enjoys the back and forth of the deck, I would like to know how many people look at posts on the DECK.

Some of these posts seem to get thousands of views but I am courious if these are discrete views. My gut tells me that these are a total of views accumulated by the same person checking in on the deck to see if there was something new to look at. I do it every day.

Although I don't chose to comment on every post, I am wondering how the "views" are measured?

The "Wake up Lakewood" post has 848 views. Is that 848 made up of my 9 views when I was checking on the post to see who and what was said? Are these individual views or is that a total number by all people that check the Deck 6 times a day like me?

Patrick

We do not monitor views, looks or likes, we never have. WE have no interest in monetizing the website. The ads on the front are FREE to advertisers, and are rotated. Here on the Deck the only ads are the ones by businesses talking about themselves.

Deck views get spread many different ways.
1) The Deck, most posts are just this, a post. (anyone registered can do this)
2) Posts that get interest and are shared or retweeted from the post. (anyone can do this_
3) Posts that are moved over to various places, Facebook, Twitter, etc. (5 people can do that to the Observer FB Page, two to Twitter)
4) Posts that get national attention. (Crimes, national names, etc)
5) Crime or photos
6) The most number of views in any day was posting about a kidnapping with a plea from the mother. It was picked up by Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore and retweeted.

No figuring it out, it just is.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Brad T Humphreys

Postby Brad T Humphreys » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:59 am

[Tangentially related Latin Quote: Semper ubi sub ubi]

So why do I come here periodically? I think calling gawking at a accident metaphor that I hear is too much of a simplification.... it's more of a social science experiment gone awry.

Mr. OBryan had an interesting hypothesis that if people were required to use their real names, they would engage themselves in the decorum of adults with good debate and discourse. Seems like a reasonable hypothesis. And I think he was correct, most do (and want to limit themselves to adult interactions) - especially in this day and age of online associations being a google search away.

But what makes this an interesting social experiment gone awry, is what happens when your hypothesis is true, BUT the outcome of the experiment is counter what you expected. Say 95% (number just for sake of demonstrating a large majority) do follow the hypothesis. But to 5%, the hypothesis does not hold, BUT it those outliers that determines the outcome of the experiment?

----------------------------
[Quotes.com - blah blah blah blah]

Return to “Discussions About The Deck”