Lakewood Arts Festival Bike Parking Planning Thread

BikeLakewood Virtual Meeting Room

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Tim Liston

Lakewood Arts Festival Bike Parking Planning Thread

Postby Tim Liston » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:05 am

This year the Lakewood Arts Festival is August 4th from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM, on Detroit between Elmwood and Belle. I believe that BikeLakewood should provide "valet" bike parking for this event, including bike safety checks, for a modest amount of money. I don't know much about valet bike parking but I know that OCBC does it pretty routinely, and I know that there is some information on the ThunderHead Alliance web site, including pre-printed claim checks we can use. Let's use this thread to discuss.

Amy Delp

Postby Amy Delp » Wed May 02, 2007 9:17 pm

I think a booth would be too small, isn't that a city lot in front of Marc's on Detroit, (The Sinagra Park area) perhaps we can negotiate with the city for the front half, its right on the sidewalk, so we will be close to foot traffic people will see us etc.

Mike Deneen

Postby Mike Deneen » Fri May 11, 2007 6:21 pm

I received the application yesterday.

As I mentioned before, groups are required to have tax exempt status to participate. I cannot promise, but I will work to get us around that hurdle.

They are also asking that submit a copy of our liability insurance with the application. It is not clear if failure to have insurance disqualifies a group. I will talk to city hall and see if we can clear this hurdle, too. However, I think we do need to consider liability issues in the event someone's bike is stolen.

We can inquire about getting parking spaces at Sinagra Park, but I am somewhat skeptical that they would give us very many. Parking is in very, very high demand for this event. Plus, I think they set up a concert stage there (but my memory may be faulty)

I am very willing to use whatever influence I have with the city to pull this event off. However, I do not have the time or energy to coordinate the entire thing. We need someone to step up to coordinate the volunteers (we will need many, since the event is from 10-6pm), get the claim checks, spearhead the lobbying effort for parking spaces, etc. This event will be far, far busier and labor intensive than the Community Festival or Earth Day.

I will do what I can to smooth the process...plus, I can guarantee extensive advertising in the Observer.

Application deadline is June 1. We need a volunteer.

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Sat May 12, 2007 7:19 am

I'm very pressed for time today.

We cannot have the lot next to Sinagra park. Karen Cooper said we could have one end or the other (Belle or Elmwood). Their permit actually extends a couple extra blocks in each direction.

Someone mentioned the possibility of hospital involvement. Might be an opportunity there.

And I have an e-mail in to the Ohio City Bicycle Co-op asking if they can help.

Gotta run.

Return to “BikeLakewood”