Reel Mower sharpening

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Brad Hutchison

Reel Mower sharpening

Postby Brad Hutchison » Mon May 10, 2010 10:53 am

Anybody know where I can get the blades on my reel mower sharpened? Any idea what that costs?

Be the change you want to see in the world.

-Gandhi
Brian Pedaci

Re: Reel Mower sharpening

Postby Brian Pedaci » Mon May 10, 2010 11:39 am

Lakewood Hardware. Can't remember what he quoted me, but it was cheap - $5 or something like that. Thanks for the reminder that I have to get mine over there too.

Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Mon May 10, 2010 11:58 am

My wife called Lakewood Hardware, and they referred her to Alternative Rental on Hilliard. She called them, and they only do it the last Saturday of the month. Which is why I posted this, because I want it done sooner than that.

-Gandhi
Brian Pedaci

Postby Brian Pedaci » Mon May 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Well, then I'm glad you posted before I hauled my mower over there. Sorry for the mis-info - he told me that last summer, I guess he doesn't do it anymore.

Will Brown

Postby Will Brown » Tue May 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Its not hard to do it yourself. You just need some grinding compound and a tool to spin the blades, backward if I recall correctly. Turn it upside down so the wheels are off the ground. Remove one wheel (its the right one on mine) and you will find a square rod sticking out that will spin the blades. There is a special crank to turn the rod, but I just use an electric drill. Daub the grinding compound where the reel blades cross the bar at the bottom and have at it. It usually helps to adjust the bottom bar for evenness and just the right amount of pressure when it is sharp. When the bar is adjusted properly, the mower is easy to push.

Society in every state is a blessing, but the Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil...
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Tue May 11, 2010 2:53 pm

Brad--- man up there--- get a REAL mower :wink: one that gulps gasoline and spews fumes :mrgreen:

Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Thu May 13, 2010 4:19 pm

If anyone is interested, I've been calling all over and NOBODY does it, except Alternative Rental on the last Saturday of the month. As it turns out, primitive lawn mowers require futuristic equipment for maintenance. Go figure...

-Gandhi
Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Thu May 13, 2010 4:22 pm

Will Brown wrote:Its not hard to do it yourself. You just need some grinding compound and a tool to spin the blades, backward if I recall correctly. Turn it upside down so the wheels are off the ground. Remove one wheel (its the right one on mine) and you will find a square rod sticking out that will spin the blades. There is a special crank to turn the rod, but I just use an electric drill. Daub the grinding compound where the reel blades cross the bar at the bottom and have at it. It usually helps to adjust the bottom bar for evenness and just the right amount of pressure when it is sharp. When the bar is adjusted properly, the mower is easy to push.

Thanks for the advice Will. I almost made it ten words before I went into a coma.

-Gandhi
Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Fri May 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Alternative Rental is doing it Saturday, May 29. They charge $69 + tax.

-Gandhi
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Fri May 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Brian--- I'm assuming your arithmetic, but it does sound a tad bit expensive as compared to the cost of any maintenance for a power mower or even sharpening one blade on a rotary mower. And, the cost of a new reel mower is about just twice what they want for simple sharpening.
Things to consider, I guess.
Stan

Charlie Page

Postby Charlie Page » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Did anyone get their reels sharpened at Alternative? I was about to but the price kept me home. I took a file to my reels and in about 15 minutes had them sharp enough for this year.

I found a sharpening kit on-line. It has an attachment with self-stick sand paper strips that's supposed to sharpen as you run it. Has anyone tried that?

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/brill- ... g-kit.html

I was going to sue her for defamation of character but then I realized I had no character – Charles Barkley
Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:34 pm

I did get mine sharpened at Alternative. It made a huge difference. They cleaned and oiled it up too. He suggested getting it done every couple years and maintaining the blades in the interim with WD-40 or similar penetrating oil.

I can't comment on the cost-effectiveness of Alternative's service vs. any of these do-it-yourself methods, but they did do a nice job and the mower is working great.

-Gandhi
Paul Schrimpf

Postby Paul Schrimpf » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:06 pm

This is my third summer following a spring 2008 sharpening of a reel mower I have, done by Alternative. Still cuts well. I sweep it off and give it a shot of WD 40 after each use. The price freaked me out at first too but the difference in cutting is substantial.

I keep a second reel mower for my backyard that I have not ever had sharpened... bought it from Sears in 1995. We have a maple tree with roots popping out everywhere, and it beats the stuffing out of the mower. So, since it's the back yard and I don't necessarily care about a mega manicure look the second mower does just fine.

What I like best about my approach to lawn care is, no gas cans, no mess, and virtually no chance of mower failure. Only downside are buckhorn plantain seed pods... when they get too high the mower won't cut em.

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”