"Homeless Jesus" Finds Home In Lakewood, Ohio

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

"Homeless Jesus" Finds Home In Lakewood, Ohio

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:46 pm

I have been looking for and finding "Homeless Jesus" statues by the artist Timothy Schmalz, The first one I ever saw was at the Old Stone Church on Public Square, then another popped up at St, Malachi's, then a third in front of Lutheran Hospital.

Today this one showed up in Lakewood, at Lakewood United Methodist Parish at Detroit and Summit.

From Timothy Schmalz's website:
The “Homeless Jesus” sculpture is a visual representation of Matthew 25. The sculpture suggests that Christ is with the most marginalized in our society. The Christ figure is shrouded in a blanket with His face covered with the only indication that the figure is Jesus being the visible wounds on the feet. The life-size version of the work provides enough room for someone to sit on the bench and is cast in bronze metal measuring 36”H x 84”L x 24”D.

For over 25 years, Timothy has been sculpting large scale sculptures. He is a figurative artist with his pieces installed worldwide. Some of his most reputed pieces are installed in historical churches in Rome and at the Vatican. Timothy describes his most important work as visual translations of the Bible. Although most of his work is based upon a spiritual theme, he also creates large, complex public sculptures in bronze. Some of these include monuments that honor veterans and firefighters. Timothy strives to create epic artwork that connects with viewers through design and details that not only touch the viewer on an emotional level, but also allow them to feel somewhat a ‘part’ of the piece.

"Jesus As A Beggar" at the Old Stone Church, Public Square.

"Homeless Jesus" at St. Malachi Parish, on West 25th.

"When I Was Sick Jesus" at Lutheran Hospital, West 25th.

There will be a total of seven in Cleveland when he is done.

Check it out!

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”