Bar Italia's New Patio, As So Many Called And Asked

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Bar Italia's New Patio, As So Many Called And Asked

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue May 25, 2021 3:06 pm

It would seem more than a handful of people have opinions about the new Bar Italia Patio reaching into parking and bike lanes on State Route 6 aka Detroit.

So we went down and took some photos, made some calls and got some answers.

The very unattractive concrete barriers were paid for by Bar Italia, they also paid for the installation and will pay for the removal in November. They are actually concrete barriers used last in the Republican National Convention. This is part of a program started by Councilman Tom Bullock and Councilman Jason Shachner to give bars and restaurants more space, even though the mandates are lifted and bar/restaurant occupancy is over 173% of this time 5 years ago.

So let's take a look at the new patio. Photos sent in...

I asked why the Bar Italia patio was not in front of Bar Italia, and was told, "The owner wanted to keep the first two spots open for food pick up."

This has been tried in other communities with varying success and failures. This is Lakewood behind riot barriers...

This is High Street in Columbus.
And yes High Street is a State Route. (provided by member of council)

As we always do, you can be sure we did our homework.

One of the interesting things is, at the end of the discussion I had to wonder if City Council did their homework.

You ask why?

Well the restaurant actually had more room to put a patio behind the place, though the seldom used parking spots for management would have been lost.

This would have put the patio next to the patio owned by the Lakewood landlord John Granzier of Merry Arts.

So instead of making Detroit safe for bikers, riders, walkers, tax payers, people with strollers or in wheelchairs, and having the chain use private property, Tom Bullock said no way, let me give you our bike lanes, parking places side walks and streets to drink in.

Who am I kidding the thought never even occurred to Councilman Bullock, too much work.

So there you have all the facts we came up with.

Go discuss it on your evil FB hate groups, but we gave you the facts.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bridget Conant

Re: Bar Italia's New Patio, As So Many Called And Asked

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue May 25, 2021 10:19 pm

Oh you are so negative! Think of the possibilities!

Don’t you enjoy breathing car exhaust while you eat? Or having a car stopped for a light idle right next to your table? Why you can even show off what items you ordered!

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed May 26, 2021 7:45 am

Bridget Conant wrote:Oh you are so negative! Think of the possibilities!

Don’t you enjoy breathing car exhaust while you eat? Or having a car stopped for a light idle right next to your table? Why you can even show off what items you ordered!

Bridget

Actually I thought I was very positive, unlike Lakewood's nasty FB Groups.

I pointed out that, Lakewoodites paid nothing.
I pointed out the John Granzier is one of Lakewood's finest land owners and restaurateurs.
I pointed out that had they chosen their own property it would have served the restaurant better.
I pointed out that a backyard patio could lead to many more and even better opportunities as they can close the parking lot far easier than changing State Route 6.
I pointed out that Councilman Bullock and his minions are still having fun playing "sim city" instead of running the city. (I like people smiling how about you?)
I think the photo below points out that the first two spots for [pick up make more sense than having the Jersey Barrier Café go to the corner.

I see absolutely nothing negative there at all. You spend to much time in digital hell, hate left years ago.

And just to make sure this is a real conversation, not one of Lakewood's kangaroo courts of misinformation I post this photo to show the actual size and placement of Bar Italia's Jersey Barrier Patio Café. (I will also point out there are many Italians in Jersey)

I am merely and observer, and often a presenter of the facts,

Now, please discuss amongst the various Kangaroo Courts, I'm going back to scrapping paint.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed May 26, 2021 8:33 am

Mr. O'Bryan, I appreciate your article and photographs.

I will offer a few basic comments:

1. This is a "model" that the City permitted that was contemplated and implemented with the assistance of the Planning Department;

2. It will be replicated by other corporations in Lakewood that hold Ohio liquor licenses;

3. Please take a moment and imagine this replicated at 10 other locations.

john crino

Postby john crino » Thu May 27, 2021 7:37 am

Im surprised Liquor extended the permit to space in front of another business. Not to mention carrying alcohol on the sidewalk to get to it.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu May 27, 2021 7:50 am

This is not my area of expertise, but in some real sense the City of Lakewood has effectively augmented some (many) local Ohio liquor licenses through the ordinance that provided for expanded outdoor dining onto sidewalks, streets and municipal parking lots.

In 2020, I wrote multiple essays here on this general topic and communicated my objections to city officials.

It's all here, please take a look.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu May 27, 2021 12:02 pm

Leo Wetula wrote:No Ohio Department of Transportation approval needed for something like this?

Leo

I have no idea. I would think no. Then it was pointed out to me that High St. is a state road. And other cities were conned into trying it.

The restaurant/bar lobby in Ohio is pretty powerful.

When I saw conned, I merely mean that anytime business is supported with public assets, their should be a noticeable reward for the residents and land owners and businesses. For some strange reason Lakewood has developed this sense that we need to underwrite our businesses, when in most communities businesses not only underwrite themselves and their neighborhoods but also support the schools and residents. Foreign concept in Lakewood. Coventry Road is the best example. Everything you see there and have ever seen there was paid for, planning paid for, implementation and upkeep thats to the SID "Coventry Road." The Special Interest District members pay dues and fees. When it makes sense for the city to help it does.

In Lakewood or civic leaders would think you have to buy friends. Sell of assets and give them to friends in building opportunities. Raise taxes for "Downtown Improvements" underwrite parking, police, etc. Lakewood residents are in an abusive relationship with our council and committees.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri May 28, 2021 8:56 am

Umbrellas replaced the "tents" that were originally situated within the concrete barriers.

The city's ground level, rent-paying, merchants should be going bonkers by now.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon May 31, 2021 7:15 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Umbrellas replaced the "tents" that were originally situated within the concrete barriers.

The city's ground level, rent-paying, merchants should be going bonkers by now.

It has gotten very little use. I mean compared to the amount of use the space was being used.

A different table popped up on the far east end. Maybe giving others 4' or so.

Fascinating I took some photos of other ones this weekend in other cities. ALL but Bar Italia's have double jersey barrier at the end facing traffic.

It would seem, that it has caused a slight back up in traffic, so that buses and cars spend an extra light 4' from diners.

Ahhh ambience, just like Italy.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Matthew Lee

Postby Matthew Lee » Mon May 31, 2021 1:48 pm

Not sure if this was meant to happen but was walking by today around 11 AM before Bar Italia was open and every table was taken with people doing takeout from Nature's Oasis. Maybe they worked something out to share the tables while Bar Italia is closed? There actually isn't a sign indicating table usage so definitely not obvious one way or the other.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon May 31, 2021 4:49 pm

Matthew Lee wrote:Not sure if this was meant to happen but was walking by today around 11 AM before Bar Italia was open and every table was taken with people doing takeout from Nature's Oasis. Maybe they worked something out to share the tables while Bar Italia is closed? There actually isn't a sign indicating table usage so definitely not obvious one way or the other.

Thanks for reporting this back, Matthew.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:49 am

We ate at Bar Italia Sunday night because we had company from out of town, it is close by, there were open outdoor tables, and one in our group has a vulnerability to COVID that we didn't want to take a chance with dining inside, even with vaccinations.

The food was great. But the ambiance was everything described above and less. We sat next to the concrete barrier with the sounds and smells of Detroit road traffic adjacent to us. If they had the opportunity to put it in the back of the building and didn't take it, I can't fathom why.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:01 am

My final comments on this topic:

1. Until they finish installing the planking to elevate the street to the sidewalk, I do not see how this is compliant with the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act).

2. It is a preposterous eyesore.

3. Transforming our public streets to the benefit of private economic interests (yes, corporations) is an insult to already overburdened tax/rate payers.

4. Why in the world should corporations that hold Ohio liquor licenses have superior legal rights to the rest of Lakewood's non-alcohol businesses.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:16 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:The food was great. But the ambiance was everything described above and less. We sat next to the concrete barrier with the sounds and smells of Detroit road traffic adjacent to us. If they had the opportunity to put it in the back of the building and didn't take it, I can't fathom why.

Dan

You were probably safer eating inside without a mask. At least then only one would have been in danger, partially.

https://www.google.com/search?q=accident+rate+for+street+dining

Was the food really great? The reason I ask, with what you describe as the worst ambiance in the city, it must have been some mighty fine food.

Restaurants are easy to figure out, especially if we do not look at the food cost, popularity, and staffing costs. The more seats, the more chances to make money. So when a restaurant is allowed to increase occupancy for FREE, and get a patio. You have to jump in. You are a fool not to. Especially as the restaurants will lobby to keep the areas they have claimed for the pandemic or fairness of others. They are not given that up, and when forced to will complain "We cannot make it anymore..." council will give in.

How do we know that, the City of Lakewood has basically disregarded occupancy numbers unless you are a business they want to show you how tough they are. Occupancy in this residential community. Was at one time based on square feet AND available parking within 200'. Starting with FitzGerald, the second part of the equation was only enforced selectively, and when needed for friends, supporters, and even city hall employees they would go farther, throw in parking that was already counted, etc. By the time summers put on the Emperor's Clothes it was basically ignored.

While the city has roughly the same number of bars it once had, it has nearly twice as many restaurants, now almost all serving liquor. This puts a massive strain on the side residential streets and city services mostly picked up by the residents and our rising tax rates, thanks to Summers/FitzGerald/Bullock selling off our largest employer and tax generator for $1.

Mark Kindt wrote:M

3. Transforming our public streets to the benefit of private economic interests (yes, corporations) is an insult to already overburdened tax/rate payers.

4. Why in the world should corporations that hold Ohio liquor licenses have superior legal rights to the rest of Lakewood's non-alcohol businesses.

The people giving away our streets and quiet neighborhoods are the same that gave away our largest employer and tax generator for $1.

There are already other non-restaurant stores asking and demanding the same public access.

Thank you

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”