Bar Italia's New Patio, As So Many Called And Asked

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

cmager

Re: Bar Italia's New Patio, As So Many Called And Asked

Postby cmager » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:41 pm

In Arizona, Governor Ducey (who is bankrolled by the AZ Restaurant Assoc, amongst others) has twice ponied up $1M for a slush fund for patio furniture and patio heaters. Because priorities. Rise up and demand free furniture, Ohio!

Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:03 pm

Ok, two councilmen had a public street lane closed. Can we assume the council voted in an open meeting to allow the street lane closed and the right to close a lane was extent all the bars and restaurants in the city. If the council didn't, has the charter has been changed to allow councilmen to make decisions for the use of public property? Unless this was offered to every other business in the city, it is and was illegal.
What does the fact that Democrat concrete barriers that were used during the Republican convention have to do with reality of closing a street lane?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:21 pm

Richard Baker wrote:What does the fact that Democrat concrete barriers that were used during the Republican convention have to do with reality of closing a street lane?

It went through Council unanimously I believe. People protested, as for facts, none forth coming.

I merely mentioned that as when I asked about who paid for them, the person that described every part of the project in detail mentioned, they had last been used at the Republican Convention. I found it an interesting fact.

We had a Republican member of City Council that thought we had a gay flag pole. No matter how many times it was pointed out that it was merely a flag pole with no sexual orientation. Now you believe the barriers are Democratic, hmmmm, more insight into the minds of Republicans.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:39 am

The food really was quite good.

Joe's Deli re-opened its dining room Monday. We were driving by and saw lots of cars in the parking lot so had dinner there. Because of the spaciousness and space between tables, it's one restaurant I feel comfortable eating in these days.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
cmager

Postby cmager » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:34 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Richard Baker wrote:What does the fact that Democrat concrete barriers that were used during the Republican convention have to do with reality of closing a street lane?

We had a Republican member of City Council that thought we had a gay flag pole. No matter how many times it was pointed out that it was merely a flag pole with no sexual orientation. Now you believe the barriers are Democratic, hmmmm, more insight into the minds of Republicans.

Democrat concrete barriers? Gay flag poles? Free* patio furniture? Next: cats and dogs living together?
(*Note: offer of free patio furniture only applies to restaurant owners in the State of AZ. Restrictions apply, like it's probably better to be a restaurant owner who donates to the GOP).

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:40 pm

cmager wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:

Democrat concrete barriers? Gay flag poles? Free* patio furniture? Next: cats and dogs living together?
(*Note: offer of free patio furniture only applies to restaurant owners in the State of AZ. Restrictions apply, like it's probably better to be a restaurant owner who donates to the GOP).

In the old days, on a site that predated this, we had a long discussion about Federal (feral) Cats. Once the slip-up happened the connection between politicians and those Federal Cats became one. Kind of odd how similar they are, and how one can substitute "Politician," "Feral Cat," and "Federal Cat" without changing the understanding.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:44 pm

Putting aside of the irrelevance of the merry flag pole, it is interesting to note that there was no discussion if the street closing was offered to other business and if the council voted on the matter. It bears investigating, I'll going to follow up with a freedom of information request to the city

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:12 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:In the old days, on a site that predated this, we had a long discussion about Federal (feral) Cats. Once the slip-up happened the connection between politicians and those Federal Cats became one.

I recall that discussion although not the context. What was it about and when was it?

The other site has apparently shut down without even leaving an archive.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:56 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:In the old days, on a site that predated this, we had a long discussion about Federal (feral) Cats. Once the slip-up happened the connection between politicians and those Federal Cats became one.

I recall that discussion although not the context. What was it about and when was it?

The other site has apparently shut down without even leaving an archive.

It was a post where someone was talking about federal politicians as Federal Cats a thread a couple months letter mentioned a problem with Federal Cats and how many are loose and causing problems. The second poster was obviously talking about feral cats, but the post could read either way. From there it just got out of control and would pop up for years.

I would have bought the archive, there were some classics of Lakewood, Federal Cats, RPDBGFP (Ryan Patrick Demro's Big Gay Flag Pole), and Lakewood civic leaders being outed for posting with fake names and being so over the top it was sick.

Yeah I would have bought that one.

This is one of the many problems in this day and age, no sustainability, no longevity. Cities losing history as fast as they make it.

Sad, everyone is into the Royal "we," not community, not history, not what life is about.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:59 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
I would have bought the archive, there were some classics of Lakewood, Federal Cats, RPDBGFP (Ryan Patrick Demro's Big Gay Flag Pole), and Lakewood civic leaders being outed for posting with fake names and being so over the top it was sick.

Yeah I would have bought that one.

I wonder if it still lives offline on a server somewhere? You are the only logical buyer. There's a lot of good material from those days.

Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:44 am

The results to my inquiry to city hall:
• There are two [2] “parks” aka street lane closures for private bar/restaurant enterprises use and
profit
• The closing the streets was authorized by the Planning Commission
• The City Council supposedly has authorized the Planning Commission to close street and state
highway traffic lanes
• It is very doubtful if the Planning Commission or the City had the State of Ohio’s permission to partially
block a state highway traffic lane and a bike lane for the use by private enterprise

This begs the following questions:
• The Planning Commission consists of five appointed positions and why do they have the authority to
close city and state street traffic lanes?
• Did the City or Planning Commission have permission from the State to close a highway traffic lane
for the use by a private enterprise?
• Was notification made to all the city’s bar/restaurants that the city would close a street lane to allow
them to use it for outdoor seating for their patrons?
• If not, why did two councilmen make requests to the Planning Commission to allow just two private
enterprises to use the street?
• Why were the street lane closures designated “parks” [a deception] when in fact it was public
property was being used for the benefit of a private enterprise?

The checks and balances in the City of Lakewood are none existent. When an appointed board can allow the use of public property for private enterprises' profit without a public notice and the city councils approval in a public meeting, a change in the delegation of authority should be considered.

I will be making inquiries with the State of Ohio to determine if the City of Lakewood abused its preapproval agreement to close a traffic lane on a state highway by allowing the use of state property for private enterprise gain. If in the unlikely event the State was notified, I’m sure they will be surprised that it was not a “park”, but closed for private business use.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:54 am

On this one, I am in 100% in support of Mr. Baker!

His diligence is much appreciated, too.

I have been contemplating a public records request to determine just how many conditional use permits were issued in 2020 and 2021 to grant bar/restaurant service on public rights of way.

This use is never safe; when it is made safe, it becomes an urban eyesore that deprives other neighborhood businesses access to on-street parking for their customers.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”