What have we learned from the pandemic year? What should we have learned?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Dan Alaimo

What have we learned from the pandemic year? What should we have learned?

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu May 20, 2021 7:12 pm

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill, quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel

The pandemic is drawing to a close - maybe, I'm not sure I believe it, but a lot of people do - and it's time to take stock of what we have learned - personally, municipally, educationally, statewide, nationwide, internationally - in all ways. I intend this as an open-ended question and seek serious input.

I'll suggest several ideas for starters and then leave it to others to add some things before I post more.

Technology - i respectfully disagree with Mark Kindt's view of remote City Zoom meetings and many parents' view of remote learning. Both will now have a place going forward.

Masks - Many are glad to be done with them, but I suggest taking stock of their benefits. For example, in flu season, they can be very helpful in schools and workplaces. Plus I find they add a layer of warmth in the winter.

Hand-shaking - Do we really need to go back to it? In terms of health, it is better not to touch. In terms of sexually-related behavior confusion, it is also better not to touch. We now have good alternatives. Why not continue using them.

Staying home - I've learned to like it, but I share my life with a woman I like a lot. That makes a difference.

So reactions, additions, side notes, whatever. Have at it.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Mark Kindt

Re: What have we learned from the pandemic year? What should we have learned?

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri May 21, 2021 12:12 pm

I learned that my local public officials (both city and county) could not provide any accurate or reasonably accurate data about conditions in Lakewood and that I had to make my personal decisions absent of meaningful information about my local situation.

Suggestions made to expand public health infrastructure in Lakewood were dismissed bluntly as too expensive and unworkable.

Simultaneously, tax deferrals were provided to developers and alcoholic beverage service on public rights-of-way were "tracked" to permanence.

It took Lakewood Seven (7) months to adopt a mask rule.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat May 22, 2021 9:32 am

The Health & Human Services Committee is moribund and its financial approval functions should be moved to the Finance Committee.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon May 24, 2021 6:04 am

Mark Kindt wrote:The Health & Human Services Committee is moribund and its financial approval functions should be moved to the Finance Committee.

Not sure that would create the change we need.

I would hope a Health Board would be removed from politics entirely.

As far as the bars and restaurants, I have noticed that nearly any restaurant that wanted a liquor license has been given one.

The move to a bar based entertainment based economy continued at full steam under the pandemic. Odd response to something that closed those very places.

Lakewood politicians continue down dead-ends and blind alleys desperate to please only the squeakiest of wheels or greasing the skids of friends and supporters.

I think the term is, blind leading the blind. Perhaps another ad-hoc committee of people with little or no expertise would help.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Mon May 24, 2021 7:51 am

The rest of the developed world learned a lot more about the United States.

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”