The City of Lakewood will receive about $50 million in ARPA money

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bill Call

The City of Lakewood will receive about $50 million in ARPA money

Postby Bill Call » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:49 am

The City of Lakewood will receive about $50 million in ARPA money over the next twelve months:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB1feTTK

The ARPA funding was created to replace lost revenue and added expenses due to the economic disruption caused by the COVID virus.

Total general fund receipts for 2020 were about $1 million less than 2019.
Total general fund expenditures where about $43.9 million in 2019 and $41.7 million in 2020.

So, the net result of lower revenue and lower expenditures is a positive $1 million. The general fund unencumbered balance increased by about $1.2 million.

Since City lost $2 million per year when it moved the Hospital to Avon one could argue that that decision did far more financial damage than COVID.

I am generally opposed to “stimulus” spending. Very little gets built and what is built is way to expensive and usually unneeded and wasteful. The funds just become a grab bag for special interests and a funding source for stupid ideas.

Like the $1 billion dollar per mile train track:

https://www.worldtribune.com/off-the-ra ... -per-mile/

One curious requirement of the ARPA funding is that the money must be spent by the end of 2024. What is meant by spent? Is it money actually paid? Or does spent mean money allocated for a specific purpose that can be spent over time? If it’s the former then ARPA money is just ghost money passed out to various special interests. If it’s the latter then it can actually do some good.
If Lakewood and Cites throughout Ohio decide to spend their ARPA funds on infrastructure what infrastructure gets built? Who decides? Is infrastructure a welfare check? Is infrastructure raises for government employees? Is infrastructure spending $10 million for a bridge that should cost $1 million?

https://www.gfoa.org/american-rescue-pl ... principles

What have we stimulated when we hand out $1 trillion to the American people so they can purchase Chinese manufactured goods?
Why do we spend so much on infrastructure and get so little?

https://theweek.com/articles/449646/why ... ge-america

How about the $80 million elevator?

https://slate.com/business/2019/09/mta- ... blems.html
Attachments
01-31-21-City-of-Lakewood-Month-End-YTD-Financial-Report.pdf
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 185 times

ryan costa

Re: The City of Lakewood will receive about $50 million in ARPA money

Postby ryan costa » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:32 am

If it is spent on infrastructure that generally means concrete, asphalt, excavation, water/sewage/gas lines

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:32 am

ryan costa wrote:If it is spent on infrastructure that generally means concrete, asphalt, excavation, water/sewage/gas lines

Ryan - What you describe is HARD INFRASTRUCTURE. Don't forget SOFT INFRASTRUCTURE: the various services (and associated institutions/organizations) needed to maintain a society's cultural, economic, health, and social standards.

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:01 pm

Peter Grossetti wrote:
ryan costa wrote:If it is spent on infrastructure that generally means concrete, asphalt, excavation, water/sewage/gas lines

Ryan - What you describe is HARD INFRASTRUCTURE. Don't forget SOFT INFRASTRUCTURE: the various services (and associated institutions/organizations) needed to maintain a society's cultural, economic, health, and social standards.

And we've got plenty of everything that needs attention. I'd like to see more spending on soft infrastructure.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:23 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:
Peter Grossetti wrote:

And we've got plenty of everything that needs attention. I'd like to see more spending on soft infrastructure.

OR there is the $50+ million dollar project they are getting ready to raise our taxes on. You know that little sewer project that was only $10 million when first thought of. But 3 Mayors later we are quickly arriving at $60 million.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:21 am

Here's what I think I know:

1. The City of Lakewood does not have enough funds to organize the functional equivalent of a health department.

2. The City of Lakewood does have enough funds to grant $9,000,000 in future tax relief for developers.

3. Water/sewer rates have been doubled over a 5-year period to fund the EPA-mandated sewer upgrade projects.

4. The City of Lakewood has committed itself to "safe" dining on public sidewalks, streets, and parking lots at a cost unknown to the residents.

5. The costs to be born by the City of Lakewood for the redevelopment of the former hospital site are unknown to the residents.

What am I missing?

ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:14 pm

These people in Hong Kong like to pay 900 million dollars an acre. Just sell it to some billionaire from Hong Kong or Taiwan.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hong-ko ... ord-2021-2

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”