When Does Zoom Government End?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Dan Alaimo

Re: When Does Zoom Government End?

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu May 20, 2021 6:09 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:A friend has remind me that only some residents of Lakewood have reliable broadband internet access. Most don't.

But if the pandemic year has taught us anything, it's the importance of good wi-fi internet connections and the equipment to use it. Once we are clear of COVID-19, we must make getting everyone connected a priority, and those who can afford it should upgrade.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Thu May 20, 2021 11:48 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:A friend has remind me that only some residents of Lakewood have reliable broadband internet access. Most don't.

The Biden administration has admonished local governments receiving American Rescue Plan funding to use it specifically for improving broadband access. I am hopeful we make this a priority in Lakewood.

Dan O'Malley
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri May 21, 2021 10:16 am

Dan OMalley wrote:

The Biden administration has admonished local governments receiving American Rescue Plan funding to use it specifically for improving broadband access. I am hopeful we make this a priority in Lakewood.

Dan

The Observer not only studied this but had a plan, using St. James, the Library and St. Cyril. There would have been enough coverage for the city. We also looked at creating bubble with COX, that would have given Lakewood FREE wireless corridors in 2008. But the Mayor Ed FitzGerald said, "I got this, we will make it happen."

Of course when City Hall gets involved, everything slows down.

Today in 2021, our coverage is a joke, the city;s website is a joke, and we continue to fall behind the rest of the county, even with some of the highest taxes.

Dan, perhaps for a year or so, City Council could pretend residents are as important as bars. Just a thought.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri May 21, 2021 10:50 am

Mark Kindt wrote:A friend has reminded me that only some residents of Lakewood have reliable broadband internet access. Most don't.

I am not suggesting at all that the City of Lakewood has any responsibility to mitigate this disparity.

My primary concern in this thread is a prompt return to ordinary statutory open meetings and open proceedings available to all members of the public.

I was most chagrined to read that the meeting in June on the new storm-sewer user fees was not going to be a public meeting, but would be "virtual".

About 55% of residents do not have sufficient technology to even participate..."virtually".

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon May 24, 2021 9:19 am

Mark Kindt wrote:
Mark Kindt wrote:A friend has reminded me that only some residents of Lakewood have reliable broadband internet access. Most don't.

I am not suggesting at all that the City of Lakewood has any responsibility to mitigate this disparity.

My primary concern in this thread is a prompt return to ordinary statutory open meetings and open proceedings available to all members of the public.

I was most chagrined to read that the meeting in June on the new storm-sewer user fees was not going to be a public meeting, but would be "virtual".

About 55% of residents do not have sufficient technology to even participate..."virtually".

Those of us that use this technology on a daily professional basis also know that it has regular unpredictable glitches.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon May 24, 2021 10:13 am

Mark Kindt wrote:
Mark Kindt wrote:

Those of us that use this technology on a daily professional basis also know that it has regular unpredictable glitches.

Related to the other topic, I would say that a powerful learning from the pandemic is the need to upgrade tech systems and equipment for the City, its residents and the school system and its students. (As referenced here by Dan O'Malley.)

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
cmager

Postby cmager » Mon May 24, 2021 3:31 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:

Dan
The Observer not only studied this but had a plan, using St. James, the Library and St. Cyril. There would have been enough coverage for the city. We also looked at creating bubble with COX, that would have given Lakewood FREE wireless corridors in 2008. But the Mayor Ed FitzGerald said, "I got this, we will make it happen."

Of course when City Hall gets involved, everything slows down. Today in 2021, our coverage is a joke, the city;s website is a joke, and we continue to fall behind the rest of the county, even with some of the highest taxes.

Dan, perhaps for a year or so, City Council could pretend residents are as important as bars. Just a thought.

Bars have campaign cash. Those with lousy internet connectivity typically do not.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”