HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES COMMITTEE

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Re: HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES COMMITTEE

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:40 am

"Think Bigger!"

Think bigger says it all.

When Mr. Eadeh speaks, I listen!

Lakewood is stuck in the "do loop" created in 2013 by former Mayor Summers, Ken Haber, and Tom Gable. It wrecked the City of Lakewood and now echoes across subsequent public policy choices.

The Planning Department is stuck with stale concepts that were both dated and misguided at the time they were conceived.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:02 am

Mark Kindt wrote:"Think Bigger!"

Think bigger says it all.

When Mr. Eadeh speaks, I listen!

Lakewood is stuck in the "do loop" created in 2013 by former Mayor Summers, Ken Haber, and Tom Gable. It wrecked the City of Lakewood and now echoes across subsequent public policy choices.

The Planning Department is stuck with stale concepts that were both dated and misguided at the time they were conceived.

It was planned this way. Do you not forget all the sycophants chanting the Summers, FitzGerald drum beat, "we have to push on before it is too late."

What they were talking about is the point of no return. Get the city to that point and it cannot go back, and their friends and associates will reap all the rewards they planned on getting.

City was played, by many of the same people still on Council, why would expect anything different.

Mr. Kindt as you know too well. When City officials were given a legitimate chance to look into what happened by outside sources there were a total of 2 elected officials that were interested. That would be one person, now the mayor. 3/4 of one that acted interested, and 1/4 of another that ended up thinking it would be bad for their future political career.

Leaders, hahahahahahahaha

Of course the real problem is, you put residents in these positions that have won popularity contests, not a contests of ideas and dreams.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:02 am

OK. Someone has to ask: are we really at or past the point of no return? I think first about the big pit at the corner of St. Charles and Detroit, and then the lack of a healh commission. I'm sure there's more, or is it all bad for our political future?

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:38 am

Dan,

I am ever the optimist.

Ever since January 2015, I have given this all a very deep dive and considerable thought.

If I saw truly positive progress, I would write about it. I would give credit where credit is due. I am not there at all yet. Not there yet at all.

I appreciate the fact that the City Administration has its hands full with the pandemic response. I am no longer commenting upon that.

Regardless of the pandemic, my general impression is that the only agenda and most of the votes revolve around real estate development and taxpayer support (subsidies) for that agenda.

At a fundamental level, Lakewood needs a meaningful and enforceable "ethics-in-government" ordinance. --That was dead on arrival. I have heard nothing about it since Rader proposed it.

Lakewood has many fine attributes. We all know that, but municipal governmental process is not one of those finer attributes.

Mono-party government is by its very nature a failure, regardless of its flavors. We witnessed that with the biased and closed process that resulted in the latest appointment to City Council.

Tristan Rader takes credit (on his webpage) for the improvement in public records response time, but we all know that that resulted from litigated court orders that the City lost. The former Law Director had no choice after public records had been suppressed for years, but to begin to comply with the law and start releasing records. Trust me, the City was forced by the courts to do this. I appreciate the support of those council-members that supported and funded the new process. --They had little choice.

In a city that constantly violated the open meeting laws and was sued for the violations; we now have no option but to accept non-public "zoom" government.

The HHS Committee rarely meets and it does not meet in public, but only under a special exemption granted by the State.

Even if a citizen wanted to attend a public meeting in person this is impossible.

I look for a brighter future. I see a great deal of real estate development on the way. All or most of it taxpayer subsidized in one way or another. None of it affordable to the general residents of Lakewood, despite new set-asides.

That's fine, but we should not pretend that this is either progressive or liberal. It's just Reagan-ism through the Bill Clinton lens.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:09 pm

Outdoor Dining on Public Property through December 31, 2022 (!)

Here we can watch how the temporary transfer of valuable public assets (our sidewalks, other public right-of-ways) becomes permanent to the benefit of purely private interests.

The HHS Committee rarely meets. It hasn't meet since November 9th of last year.

Our local government has reached certain conclusions about the duration of the Covid-19 pandemic (a major HHS issue) and is now acting upon those conclusions.

Will there be a meeting of the HHS Committee to discuss this?

If so, when? In not, why not?

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:57 pm

The HHs Committee has now stopped meeting entirely. There are no planned meetings at all for this committee on the City Calendar.

The Tree committee is more active.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”