Council President Dan O'Malley

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Council President Dan O'Malley

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:45 pm

Congratulations to Ward 4 Councilman Dan O'Malley on being selected Lakewood City Council President.

The choice was pretty obvious.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Michael Deneen

Re: Council President Dan O'Malley

Postby Michael Deneen » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:58 pm

I notice that Litten was chosen as VP.

So that means Tom Bullock -- who has more tenure than all the other council members COMBINED -- has again been passed over.

Fredo corleone 2.JPG
Fredo corleone 2.JPG (121.73 KiB) Viewed 13847 times

cmager

Postby cmager » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:32 am

Michael Deneen wrote:I notice that Litten was chosen as VP. So that means Tom Bullock -- who has more tenure than all the other council members COMBINED -- has again been passed over.
B434E7E4-EF89-4C30-86DE-410328C44514_4_5005_c.jpeg
B434E7E4-EF89-4C30-86DE-410328C44514_4_5005_c.jpeg (59.22 KiB) Viewed 13805 times

Fredo!
This is already worthy of entry in the running for 2020 comment-of-the-year. :lol:

Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:52 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Congratulations to Ward 4 Councilman Dan O'Malley on being selected Lakewood City Council President

Thanks Jim. My goal as council president is to provide steady leadership and to make sure everyone has a voice.

Dan O'Malley
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Best of luck, Dan!

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Dan OMalley wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:Congratulations to Ward 4 Councilman Dan O'Malley on being selected Lakewood City Council President

Thanks Jim. My goal as council president is to provide steady leadership and to make sure everyone has a voice.

Dear Council President O,'Malley:

I applaud you for your pledge to "make sure everyone has a voice". The open seat on City Council is the perfect opportunity for you to take action to match your pledge. Because of City Council's lack of diversity, significant and important voices are not heard in our city. Without diversity in leadership we will never be the inclusive community that our slogans so often espouse and that you have pledged to ensure.

Take this first step in making sure everyone has a voice. Make sure the next voice on City Council is a person of color.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:32 pm

m buckley wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:

I applaud you for your pledge to "make sure everyone has a voice". The open seat on City Council is the perfect opportunity for you to take action to match your pledge. Because of City Council's lack of diversity, significant and important voices are not heard in our city. Without diversity in leadership we will never be the inclusive community that our slogans so often espouse and that you have pledged to ensure.

Take this first step in making sure everyone has a voice. Make sure the next voice on City Council is a person of color.

I understand the importance of diversity and representation. I think every person I’ve appointed to city boards and commissions happens to have been a woman, person of color, and/or LGBTQ. My approach to the filling of the council vacancy is to keep a completely open mind until everyone has had the opportunity to apply. City Council has serious and difficult work to do these next two years and filling this vacancy with the right person will be crucial to our success.

Dan O'Malley
Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:06 pm

m buckley wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:

To be more specific, Laura Rodriguez Carbone should be appointed. She is extremely well versed on the issues, she has tremendous concern for the community, and she could bring a perspective to council that is badly needed.

However, I am highly doubtful that this council has the guts to make the correct choice. I expect Lakewood City Council to remain "Whites Only".
When push comes to shove, Lakewood's so-called "tolerance and diversity" are exposed as hot air.

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:43 pm

Dan OMalley wrote:
m buckley wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:

I understand the importance of diversity and representation. I think every person I’ve appointed to city boards and commissions happens to have been a woman, person of color, and/or LGBTQ. My approach to the filling of the council vacancy is to keep a completely open mind until everyone has had the opportunity to apply. City Council has serious and difficult work to do these next two years and filling this vacancy with the right person will be crucial to our success.

Dear Council President O'Malley:

I applaud your commitment to diversity reflected in your earlier appointments. But I was not challenging your commitment. Rather, I was asking that you use this important opportunity to add diversity to the voices at City Council. I assume that by "the right person" you mean someone who is qualified, engaged, has integrity and is committed to the best interests of our city. I agree with that. But, there is never only one "right person". There is always a group of candidates from which to choose, if we are open to identifying them and opening the door. There are a number of people who would serve the city well in this role - including people of color. (Although some may need encouragement to express interest, given the current and historic demographics of City Council.)

You plan to ensure "everyone has a voice". Take this opportunity to ensure that the voices on City Council include a person of color whose experience and world view adds the strength of diversity. It's a critical first step to achieve your goal.

To start the list of candidates, Michael Deneen has suggested Laura Rodriguez-Carbone. Her experience, described in her profile as a Crain's 40 Under 40, is certainly at least as impressive as anyone on the currently all-white city council.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:47 pm

m buckley wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:
m buckley wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:

I applaud your commitment to diversity reflected in your earlier appointments. But I was not challenging your commitment. Rather, I was asking that you use this important opportunity to add diversity to the voices at City Council. I assume that by "the right person" you mean someone who is qualified, engaged, has integrity and is committed to the best interests of our city. I agree with that. But, there is never only one "right person". There is always a group of candidates from which to choose, if we are open to identifying them and opening the door. There are a number of people who would serve the city well in this role - including people of color. (Although some may need encouragement to express interest, given the current and historic demographics of City Council.)

You plan to ensure "everyone has a voice". Take this opportunity to ensure that the voices on City Council include a person of color whose experience and world view adds the strength of diversity. It's a critical first step to achieve your goal.

To start the list of candidates, Michael Deneen has suggested Laura Rodriguez-Carbone. Her experience, described in her profile as a Crain's 40 Under 40, is certainly at least as impressive as anyone on the currently all-white city council.

Mark, fair points. Thanks.

Dan O'Malley
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:14 pm

I’d like to think the council would see the last two elections as a message from the voters that we want change. We especially want to get away from the taint of the hospital debacle.

So do we want to work, as Meghan George does, to heal and unify the community?

Then council members, think long and hard before appointing anyone associated with Team Summers. We do not need that constant reminder of the divisiveness his administration spawned.

And if you need more hints, I hardly think anyone wants a council member who thinks dealing with taxpaying residents means you can delete and block them if you disagree with their opinions, or even worse, you simply don’t like them. I think we’ve had enough of that juvenile behavior.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:49 pm

As JOB has repeatedly pointed out: "Knowledge without wisdom equals bullshit." That's not just a peaen to age, but to relevant llife experience. In the case of Lakewood, that means unifying a community that was badly divided by the last administration.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:48 pm

Dan OMalley wrote:
m buckley wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:
m buckley wrote:
Dan OMalley wrote:

Mark, fair points. Thanks.

Dan, you're welcome.
Looking forward to continuing the conversation on diversity, inclusion and Lakewood City Council.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”