Higher Property Taxes Less Service

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Richard Baker

Higher Property Taxes Less Service

Postby Richard Baker » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:33 pm

Property taxes are increasing while we are receiving less and less services from Cuyahoga County Treasurer's office. Before their “new” website, a property taxpayer could go online and schedule an E-check payment for property taxes. However, the Democrat Treasurer will no longer allow taxpayers to schedule an E-check payment. The Treasurer must think this is good money management, eliminating scheduling payments. Join me in assisting his dream of removing services and increasing taxes by sending him a paper check and be sure you staple it to the invoice with print facing inwards with staples to keep them together.

Richard Baker

Re: Higher Property Taxes Less Service

Postby Richard Baker » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:21 am

[quote="michael gill"]That is interesting behavior.[/quote]

A quite protest to a county that can't provide rudimentary technology to residents so they can schedule a tax payment. I'm not from the Cleveland area where it appears that citizens voted to give up their right of democracy to vote for officials for security. Was the reason Cuyahoga County voters would change the County Auditor office from an elected official reporting to the people to an appointed postion reporting the county board because they couldn't find an Democrat without vested interest to elect?

michael gill

Postby michael gill » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:57 pm

[quote=Was the reason Cuyahoga County voters would change the County Auditor office from an elected official reporting to the people to an appointed postion reporting the county board because they couldn't find an Democrat without vested interest to elect?[/quote]

I'm not sure. Why do you think that? Does the fiscal officer have a vested interest in paper checks? Scratching my head. Not sure where you are headed.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:04 am

michael gill wrote:[quote=Was the reason Cuyahoga County voters would change the County Auditor office from an elected official reporting to the people to an appointed postion reporting the county board because they couldn't find an Democrat without vested interest to elect?

I'm not sure. Why do you think that? Does the fiscal officer have a vested interest in paper checks? Scratching my head. Not sure where you are headed.[/quote]

It causes the most amount of work for a person that had nothing to do with the tax themselves.

A quiet protest that the person who should see it, never will.

Call it a nasty tweet, from the days before twitter.

About as effectual too.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:38 pm

[quote="Jim O'Bryan"][quote="michael gill"][quote=Was the reason Cuyahoga County voters would change the County Auditor office from an elected official reporting to the people to an appointed postion reporting the county board because they couldn't find an Democrat without vested interest to elect?[/quote]

I'm not sure. Why do you think that? Does the fiscal officer have a vested interest in paper checks? Scratching my head. Not sure where you are headed.[/quote]

.[/quote]

Ineffective, without a doubt, but then I didn’t give up my right of democracy to elect my representatives and officials for convenience or the need for authoritarian rule due to “corruption" in the auditor’s office.

More work for the person that had nothing to do with it. Ahh, an innocent government employee will become a victim by opening a envelope and removing a staple to deposit a check. I’m sure they will be eligible for PSTD after the next tax payment.

I don’t tweet, there is much more to life doing, then a constant waste of time regurgitating nonsensical activates and opinions to “followers”, real or not, with the pretense they care. However, from what I have read, Tip toeing through the tulips will no longer be the only opinions on Twitter.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:44 am

I think lost in this conversation is the gist of Richard Baker’s complaint.

Previously, if you paid your taxes online, from your checking account, you could schedule a future withdrawal date. It was very convenient to know the payment would be made in time, on the date you wanted, and you could do this whenever you had free time. The county now has a new payment system and it only allows you to pay right at that time -no more future date. So if you wanted to take care of bills but we’re waiting for deposits, you now have to remember to come back and pay prior to the due date.

I, myself, was annoyed to discover this.

Richard was annoyed, rightly so, but took it a step farther and obsfucated his original issue.

I’m hoping they add back that functionality. I certainly pay enough in taxes to expect that.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”