The Casto Project

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Re: The Casto Project

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed May 25, 2022 9:22 am

As I consider all of this further, I am scratching my head at the idea of building any office building on the former hospital site. It seems like such a total dead-end with little or no benefit to residents, taxpayers or visitors.

Frankly, it would have made more sense to relocate City Hall and the Lakewood School Board into a new government complex on this acerage, that at least, would be a valid use of public property for a public purpose.

The Planning Department and the civic leadership had a decade to figure this out, but here we are with more of the same "visioning" into another dead-end.

I have already written at length about using taxpayer supported funding for plans to build housing that only the wealthier residents of the region can afford; I will not flog that dead horse again.

That never made any sense, but here we go again.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed May 25, 2022 2:27 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Your wisdom, knowledge, and experience are greatly needed.

I have wracked my brain for several days trying to think of how there is any rational public justification for direct or indirect public subsidies to an insurance company to remain here.

We are paying more for these full and part-time employees beyond anything these 100 individuals will ever pay in taxes.

Always good to hear from you.

Mark

I would say 70% of this is because of people "are desperate to develop..."

I have always said many on council act like paying for friendship is an everyday occurrence.

A city of 51,000 people, does not need to pay anyone to come or stay here.

The community has buying power and sustainability.

Once again the loudest, not the smartest are pushing the city down roads we do not even have to visit, what alone go down.

City talks a good game but has always had low self esteem. At least the last two administrations.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu May 26, 2022 3:31 am

From the Westlake/Bay Village Observer (and the "why-can't-we-have-nice-things?" department, as noted by a former Lakewood resident)

Bay Village planning Village Green
http://www.westlakebayvillageobserver.c ... lage-green

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri May 27, 2022 10:04 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Mark Kindt wrote:Your wisdom, knowledge, and experience are greatly needed.

I have wracked my brain for several days trying to think of how there is any rational public justification for direct or indirect public subsidies to an insurance company to remain here.

We are paying more for these full and part-time employees beyond anything these 100 individuals will ever pay in taxes.

Always good to hear from you.

Mark

I would say 70% of this is because of people "are desperate to develop..."

I have always said many on council act like paying for friendship is an everyday occurrence.

A city of 51,000 people, does not need to pay anyone to come or stay here.

The community has buying power and sustainability.

Once again the loudest, not the smartest are pushing the city down roads we do not even have to visit, what alone go down.

City talks a good game but has always had low self esteem. At least the last two administrations.

Well, for that "70%" there are numerous development projects underway of various types most of them already in receipt of taxpayer funding via abatements and TIFs. They all have varying merits, but nonetheless, they are economic development projects planned with the assistance of the Planning Department and supported by the city. Here is a short list.

1. The former Trinity Church block;

2. The former Spitzer dealership site; and,

3. The former Steve Barry dealership site.

Much like the prior failed Carnegie project, the Casto Project has little in its favor and much running against it.

Arriving in the third-year of a global pandemic, yes, it is not over -- I've now had my 4th vaccination -- how can our elected leaders and other civic leadership rationalize dumping millions of public dollars into the former hospital site and continue to ignore pressing community public health needs?

Well, I guess we can, because we have.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sun May 29, 2022 10:23 am

Continuing the economic development list:

4. Townhome project at the site of the former St. Clement school building;

5. Office project renovation of the former St. James school building; and,

6. High-end residential home project at the site of the former historic Marathon station on Lake Avenue.

The primary problem with the Casto Project is that it serves no purpose that isn't being met or hasn't already has been met.

While the City of Lakewood has a contractual duty to provide parking for the Cleveland Clinic health center, the former hospital site should NOT be the epicenter of that duty.

We can do better. Why aren't we?

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:44 am

New President of City Counsel

Reading the article on the newly appointed President of City Council, John Litten, my take is that he is committed to the fulfillment of the "legacy" of former Mayor Summers and the "Build Lakewood" types.

He "signals" that with the same old tired PR language that we have heard for years now....that he will work with the developer on "a once-in-a-generation" opportunity.

I was sadden to read it. Yet, not surprised.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:39 am

As I thought more about this this morning, I was going to attempt to write something more constructive and thoughtful and I did so, but I will leave it at this.

After ten years or more of serious public planning, a stale and mediocre development will occur on an invaluable downtown city-owned real estate parcel along with major public subsidies for an insurance office building and a parking garage.

However, there is a body of urban planning literature related to the concepts around "centers of excellence" that I have written about previously and that I encourage of you to seek-out.

We have witnessed a very misguided decade and likely face a misguided future for what should be a true gem of an ideal small city.

My guess, is that the next big idea we will see from the planning folks or council will be a designated public "open-container" area for more alcoholic beverage service.

Seriously.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:49 am

Mark Kindt wrote:As I thought more about this this morning, I was going to attempt to write something more constructive and thoughtful and I did so, but I will leave it at this.

After ten years or more of serious public planning, a stale and mediocre development will occur on an invaluable downtown city-owned real estate parcel along with major public subsidies for an insurance office building and a parking garage.

However, there is a body of urban planning literature related to the concepts around "centers of excellence" that I have written about previously and that I encourage of you to seek-out.

We have witnessed a very misguided decade and likely face a misguided future for what should be a true gem of an ideal small city.

My guess, is that the next big idea we will see from the planning folks or council will be a designated public "open-container" area for more alcoholic beverage service.

Seriously.

Let's see:

John Litten, former board member of LHA who subsequently voted for the liquidation and demolition of Lakewood Hospital and the failed Summers/Fitzgerald-guided redevelopment plans.

Tom Bullock, former public board member of LHA who voted for the liquidation and demolition of Lakewood Hospital and the failed Summers/Fitzgerald-guided redevelopment plans.

Cindy Marx who voted for the liquidation and demotion of Lakewood Hospital.

Again, I will repeat myself to be clear, we all have witnessed a very misguided decade and likely face a misguided future for what should be a true gem of an Ideal small city.

Litten, Bullock, and Marx who all left us without a hospital on the brink of a global pandemic.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:31 am

Mark Kindt wrote:
Mark Kindt wrote:As I thought more about this this morning, I was going to attempt to write something more constructive and thoughtful and I did so, but I will leave it at this.

Seriously.

Let's see:

John Litten, former board member of LHA who subsequently voted for the liquidation and demolition of Lakewood Hospital and the failed Summers/Fitzgerald-guided redevelopment plans.

Tom Bullock, former public board member of LHA who voted for the liquidation and demolition of Lakewood Hospital and the failed Summers/Fitzgerald-guided redevelopment plans.

Cindy Marx who voted for the liquidation and demotion of Lakewood Hospital.

Again, I will repeat myself to be clear, we all have witnessed a very misguided decade and likely face a misguided future for what should be a true gem of an Ideal small city.

Litten, Bullock, and Marx who all left us without a hospital on the brink of a global pandemic.

Mark

Every human makes mistakes in judgement now and then. Hard to blame ignorant of the facts, gullible, trusting friends over facts, and political debts. You know the system as well as anyone.

However they also stood by many times as residents fought for public records. Not just on the hospital, but on pitbull ban, Legal matters, and even police investigations into city employees, friends and people working on their campaigns. Sadly for one of these people it continues.

When elected officials stand together to deny public record request, destroy documents and believe that those not in their camp deserve illegal intimidation, it is time to realize they are not working for the city, but a higher power... Political debts and favors.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”