When Does Zoom Government End?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:03 pm

I was curious as to whether anyone has heard anything about when Lakewood will return to normal open meetings and open governmental processes.

I'd be interested in official news, semi-official news, and your opinions.

How many Lakewood residents have to be vaccinated? How many Lakewood residents have to be recovered?

How would such determinations be made?

Who would make such determinations?

Are there any plans?

If so what are they?

When will we know?

Dan OMalley

Re: When Does Zoom Government End?

Postby Dan OMalley » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:30 pm

Mark, as far as city council goes, I am eager to resume in-person meetings once it’s safe to do so. Guidance from the Ohio attorney general and our own ordinances permit us to meet remotely as long as the emergency health declaration is still in place. CDC guidance indicates that groups can gather in small numbers as long as everyone is vaccinated. I am hoping that by mid June this will be true of all councilmembers and we can return to meeting in chambers.

Dan O'Malley
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:11 am

Thank you for this update. I hope for the best. --What a time!

Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Fri May 14, 2021 5:54 pm

Lakewood City Council will resume meeting in person this coming Monday, May 17th. Citizens will still be able to watch the livestream and participate remotely. Health protocols will remain in place for those of us attending the meeting at City Hall.

Dan O'Malley
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sat May 15, 2021 12:21 am

Mark Kindt wrote:Link To Today's Washington Post Story

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... op-stories

Let's end Zoom Government by Independence Day!

Why do you think it's a bad thing, as long as in-person meetings are reinstated?

To me it's not either/or, although my PERSONAL choice is to attend neither unless there is a compelling reason. Again, PERSONAL choice. I just don't like meetings, period. I would hope for a reliable journalist to tell me what happened. The fact that we don't have one at this time is part of a problem - and no I'm not raising my hand.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat May 15, 2021 9:15 am

Fundamentally, I view them as exclusionary and inconsistent with broader concepts of open government.

I do not think that having to have a high-speed internet connection, a computer, and a cell-phone should be requirements for participatory democracy.

Not interested in crawling-up into the Matrix anymore that I absolutely have to.

My cell phone is 9 years out- of-date.

My home AT&T connection is expensive and mostly marginally operable.

My biases are generational. I see Jimmy Carter as a great President, too.

I remember Bert Lance.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat May 15, 2021 9:20 am

Dan OMalley wrote:Lakewood City Council will resume meeting in person this coming Monday, May 17th. Citizens will still be able to watch the livestream and participate remotely. Health protocols will remain in place for those of us attending the meeting at City Hall.

Thank you for this update. Much appreciated.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sat May 15, 2021 7:16 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Fundamentally, I view them as exclusionary and inconsistent with broader concepts of open government.

I do not think that having to have a high-speed internet connection, a computer, and a cell-phone should be requirements for participatory democracy.

Not interested in crawling-up into the Matrix anymore that I absolutely have to.

I remember Bert Lance.

If I recall correctly, I've got you by a year or two in the age race and so I humbly advise: UPGRADE your tech.
* Phone - How often do you use various stuff you own? Car, TV, toaster. Compare that to how much you use or would use your handheld phone/computer. For most people it's worth it to ante up for a good new one, especially if a carrier will pay most if not all of the cost.
* AT&T. - i've got a long-term bias agalinst them based on many years of suffering with their service in various technical iterations. AT&T is like a haunted house - GET OUT! Cox is a very respectable alternative. Change. You are worth it.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sat May 15, 2021 7:17 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Fundamentally, I view them as exclusionary and inconsistent with broader concepts of open government.

I remember Bert Lance.

If I recall correctly, I've got you by a year or two in the age race and so I humbly advise: UPGRADE your tech.
* Phone - How often do you use various stuff you own? Car, TV, toaster. Compare that to how much you use or would use your handheld phone/computer. For most people it's worth it to ante up for a good new one, especially if a carrier will pay most if not all of the cost.
* AT&T. - i've got a long-term bias agalinst them based on many years of suffering with their service in various technical iterations. AT&T is like a haunted house - GET OUT! Cox is a very respectable alternative. Change. You are worth it.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon May 17, 2021 10:14 am

Dan, I've been upgrading my "tech" now for 30 years. How are they doing at Colonial Pipeline? --Now upgrading their "tech" and $5,000,000 short, too.

Like Al Gore, I was truly there at the beginning. In 1994, I helped form one of Northeast Ohio's earliest Internet access companies -- Multiverse, Inc.

I see decreasing, not increasing, benefits from advancements in digital technology.

Where some people see "Gee Whiz"; I now mostly see "Oh Shit!"

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon May 17, 2021 11:34 am

Dan, I think you may have made my point for me.

Pandemic aside -- why should any citizen have to enter into a contract with AT&T or Cox to acquire technology on a monthly subscription cost in order to view the proceedings of local government.

I get that this is the "future".

It's the same "future" that has alcoholic beverage service on public sidewalks.

"It's cool."

My new album is "Through with cool."

Dan OMalley

Postby Dan OMalley » Tue May 18, 2021 11:55 pm

Here is the recording from Monday’s meeting. FYI. All councilmembers and staff are fully vaccinated.
http://onelakewood.granicus.com/player/ ... irect=true

Dan O'Malley
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed May 19, 2021 9:32 am

Thank you for taking the time to post the link here! Much appreciated.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu May 20, 2021 9:57 am

A friend has remind me that only some residents of Lakewood have reliable broadband internet access. Most don't.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”