AT&T vs. Cox 3Mbps internet

Businesses and consumers are encouraged to post and update information about any local business.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Jeremy Hoag

AT&T vs. Cox 3Mbps internet

Postby Jeremy Hoag » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can speak from experience as to whether they're getting the advertised connection speed from either of these companies.

I've been using Cox's 12Mbps service for 3+ years, and never see downstream speeds greater than 1.5Mbps anywhere other than speedtest.net, and that's a rare peak. Speedtest shows 9-10Mbps with nearby servers, but I never see a fraction of those speeds when downloading or streaming.

I want to trim my internet bill, but I'm wondering what I can really expect. If Cox's 3Mbps plan performs like their 12Mbps plan, I'd be looking at dial-up speeds :/ I do use Hulu quite a bit, and occasionally play online games, and I've read about AT&T service elsewhere being unstable or intermittent.

Thank you for any info.

Jerry Ritcey

Re: AT&T vs. Cox 3Mbps internet

Postby Jerry Ritcey » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:52 pm

AT&T's speeds seem ok to me - they register around what I pay for on the speed testing sites. I don't do a ton of downloading but we seem ok with running TV/Internet on three machines/wireless at the same time without problems. Have not had Internet service outages that I had to call them about yet, had them since around 2003ish. That being said, their Internet/TV service is probably pricier than Cox's - I don't use a voice service, I just use my cell.

--
Jerry Ritcey
David Lay

Re: AT&T vs. Cox 3Mbps internet

Postby David Lay » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:25 am

Jeremy - Have you called Cox Tech Support regarding your speeds?

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com

Return to “Lakewood Businesses”