State of Ohio COVID-19 Update 04.16.2020

This will be the archive for the daily COVID-19 Updates and eventually all COVID-19 posts.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

State of Ohio COVID-19 Update 04.16.2020

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:38 pm

Where we are today…

COVID-19 By the Numbers

United States
3,345,741 -
Total Tested
667,572 - Total Number of Cases ↑ 19,424 (2.99%)
33,903 - Total Number of Deaths ↑ 1,315 (4.03%)

Ohio
8,239 -
Confirmed Cases
175 - CDC Expanded Case Definition (Probable)
8,414 - Total Cases

2,331 - Number of Hospitalizations in Ohio
707 - Number of ICU Admissions

373 - Confirmed Deaths
16 - CDC Expanded Death Definition (Probable)
389 - Total Deaths

Gov. Mike DeWine
Winston Churchill “This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But perhaps it is the end of the begining.”

Essential Facts of where we are.
1) Ohioans have done a great job at distancing. Gov. Has never been prouder.
2) We have flattened the curve. We still do not have real data
3) We live in a state in a country with COVID-19, and that will not change until we have a vaccine. 6 months-2 years.
4) This period of time will not last forever. At least for a period of time.
5) We must get Ohio’s economy moving again. We have to get back to work.

We must start back up correctly We do not want a huge spike and have to do this all over again.

Gov Board of Economic Advisors - CEOs from companies in Ohio
Today the Gov. Was given a glimpse at a work win progress from them. No plan will guarantee people will not get it. Companies that have been allowed to continue have put in place protocols to work around the virus safely. Well as safe as can be done in a work environment.

Proper PPE for all and stock.
Screen everyone coming in for health.
Demand good hygiene
Ass employees with public transportation
Mandatory masks,
And on and on and on

Ohio is looking to begin this process on May 1, just like President Trump has asked for. Regardless
We have put together lists of companies that we believe can start back to work. Life will be different and the workplace will change. But we have to get back to work.

We are entering a time of a new reality. This could last until there is a vaccine. Masks everywhere.

As we start back in, people are going to have to make their best decisions. They are on their own.

People with conditions are much more at risk than others.

As we enter this new period we are asking our young people to be responsible.

We are going to follow the facts. (Not really testing any longer)

We hope to start going down, we certainly do not want to go back up.

Testing capacity “I am an optimist I hope it goes, up, I know it will go up. Well it should go up.”

“I promise to bring the economy back. That is our commitment to you.”

“No place is totally safe.”

“Keep flying out flag, US or Ohio”

Dr. Amy Acton

“It has been the honor of my lifetime to work alongside the Governor.”

Keep washing your hands.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jim O'Bryan

Re: State of Ohio COVID-19 Update 04.16.2020

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:43 pm

You people talking about how great DeWine is doing?

Today made me sick. We are still not testing, and we really have no real handle on this we are reopening May1.

The rushed off to a telephone conference with President Trump and he could assure the President, Ohio is ready to Open.

I guess a soda cracker looks like a steak dinner to a starving human.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:05 pm

Not safe to go back.

I have the luxury of choosing to stay home. My concern is for someone who does not want to take the chance of catching this, but their employer won’t agree to them staying home.

So do they lose their job? Will they qualify for unemployment if they refuse to return?

This is not going to be pretty.

Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:52 pm

My impression of Governor DeWine's briefing today was that he was going to attempt this opening in phases, allowing businesses to open only as they exhibited the ability to achieve "best practices." He said it would be fact-driven, adjusting as we go, based on four factors that he says we will use to "steer the ship"-- monitoring the curve, monitoring the number of hospitalizations, monitoring the availability of PPE supplies for businesses, and monitoring the testing which he says we will get more of. I think we should look at his words so we can hold him to them.

DeWine's comments:

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is perhaps the beginning of the end.

We are about to enter a new phase.

I would promise you to the best of my ability I would tell you where we're at and what we knew.

You have done a phenomenal job with the distancing. Doing all the things that need to be done. I've never been more proud to be an Ohioan.

It would appear that we have flattened the curve. We need to see that continue and we need to see it start edging down.

Hospital admissions-- people are staying in the hospital a long time. Admissions have been flat for a week. So we wait to see what happens.

We all must live in a state and a country with Covid 19. It's still here and we're going to have to live with it until  we have immunization. It could be a year. It could be longer.  It's going to be a while. This period of time is not going to last forever, we will get through this. We don't know the exact period of time.

We must get Ohio's economy moving again. We must get people  back to work. I fully understand what people are dealing with. People that are unemployed want to work. Ohioans are chomping at the bit ready to go, ready to go back to work.

Why it's important for us to start back: We know that when the economy goes down and we have this significant drop, there are medical consequences, certain things happen. Overdoses go up, people relapse.We see people have more anxiety and depression, we see more homelessness. These things are important and that matters a lot.

It's essential though that as we start back, we do this the right way. We must get this right. Because the stakes are very high. If we don't do it right, the consequences are horrendous. 

What we do not want to do is to start back, start getting back getting businesses up, small businesses up, and then have a disaster, a huge spike in the number of the people who test positive and who are in the hospital. That would be disastrous. We have an obligation as we start back, and it's so very very important for our state to keep our employees safe and for businesses to keep their customers safe. 

We are fighting a two front war: one has to do with keeping us safe from a medical point of view, medical crisis, but the other has to do with an economic crisis. A crisis about jobs and the economy. A while ago we created the Governor's board of economic advisors. Just as I look to the medical community to give us help and give us advice-- doctors and others who really understand pandemics-- we have put together this group of economic advisors, these are CEOs from many of the major companies and smaller companies in the state of Ohio. I asked them to inform us to help us to look at what we need to do to address this economic crisis. 

This morning I received a report from them. The report is a work in progress. It's a plan but the plan is not done yet. It gave me a glimpse of what they have come up with.  Let me talk for a moment about that. While Covid is out there, no plan will guarantee people will not get it.  That's the reality. But during the stay at home time, the companies that were allowed to continue, have learned a lot. And we've seen them put in place some very stringent measures, and so in a sense this has been a trial period where we can see some of the things that work, and we have learned from that.

I've asked the Lt Governor to work with all kinds of businesses around the state-- I'm doing it too, but he's taking the lead on it-- to come up with the best practices that we can use, and again some of this is based on what they've learned in the past month, and some of it is based obviously on medical science. What we're seeing is companies that have done quite a good job.  

Frank Sullivan of RPM heads up this group that we put together. Here is a slide of some of the things that they have done. One company, one type of business, for other businesses there may be different things, but this is kind of an example of what you could put together. Regular checks of PPE stock, supply lead times, make sure that it's there. Limit visitors, essential ones only. Screen for health upon entry. Clear guidelines on hygiene: instruct on self-monitoring for illness, no fever cough or respiratory issues, sore throat, Assist employees with alternatives to public transportation. Enforce six foot physical distancing, Mandatory masks. Communicate suspected exposure to cases of Covid 19. That's just one example but that's the type of protocol that we're looking to put together as people hope to start back in. 

We're looking to begin this process on May 1. We've got a lot more work to do between now and May 1 because we want to get this right. We will start with companies that can demonstrate that they can do these things. This will be phased in because  we've got to measure how we're doing as we go. We'll do this with some companies where we've put together the guidelines and companies that we think can start back down this road.

The world that we're going to see is a different world. We're going to see people with masks, a lot of barriers, distancing, sanitizers, the work place is going to change. For companies to be able to come back we're going to want to make sure that they're able to assure this for their employees and for their customers. We're  entering a time when this is a new reality. This is going to last until we're done with Covid and til we have a vaccine. You're going to see masks everywhere in public, washing of hands, wiping surfaces, sanitizers, distance, distance, distance. That is our new reality.

As we start back in people are going to have to make decisions. And people are going to have to make the best decisions they can that are in their best interest, in their own well-being. We have a slide that shows people that are the most at risk. Older adults, people with immune compromised system, higher risk of hospitalization, higher risk of death, those are the individuals in this new world-- that's going to last for a year or so, not forever, but for a while-- those are the individuals who are certainly at the most risk and who are going to have to be exceedingly careful as they look at what they do, and the decisions that they make.

Let me address young people, you can be just a much a carrier as anyone else, the odds are better for you but we have young people hospitalized. We are going to ask them to be very responsible. 

As we enter this new period beginning May 1, we're going to continue to be fact-driven, we're going to follow the facts, we're going to see where we're going, we're going to have the ability to adjust where we're going. 

What are the variables as we steer the ship that are going to make us go one way or the other? I think they're obvious.
1.) Where are we at with flattening the curve? We hope we start going down but we certainly don't want to go back up. So as we open up we're going to have to be very careful that that does not happen.
2) Keep an eye on the hospital admissions, that goes hand in hand with the curve we're talking about.
3) How're we doing on the PPE availability, that's an every day battle, I know it is for hospitals, private industries, with our team we're out there trying to find it, making sure it gets manufactured. The good news is that as time goes on, and we have bought some time, that that's going to get better, we're going to have more domestic companies making it, availability will go up.
4.) Testing capacity: I think our testing capacity is going to go up. We know it's going to go up. We hope it goes up fast, again, that is a variable, as we move Ohio forward.
Again, we're going to be very fact driven. We're going to adjust as we move forward. 

Let me say to everyone that we're a two-front war now. Got to keep safe, gotta protect the most vulnerable, at the same time we've go to move our economy back forward. We've got to do both things at once, and we can do that.

My commitment to you is that I will fight just as hard to bring this economy back as I have foughtt to save lives of Ohioans. That's what Dr. Acton will do, that's what Lt. Governor Husted will do. That is our commitment to you. We will work on both of these every single day. We will take the best advice that we can find as we do it, but those are our objectives. They aren't inconsistent, they can go hand in hand.

We just have to be careful how we do it, when we put businesses back in we have got to make sure that they can do everything they can, as much as humanly possible, to assure that their employees and their customers if they're retail, to make sure that they have a safe place to work. I'm an optimist. I think we can do this. I know we can do this. This is a new thing for us. And it's tough. No one says it's easy. We can do this. 

We've done well, we just have to keep moving. And now we move onto this new phase,  As we get ready to start on May 1st, I will continue to report to you, as we know more, as we lay this plan out, the outlines are there but as we get more details, we will lay this out in the days ahead.  But this is my report as of today, where we are and where we intend to go on May 1st. 

Betsy Voinovich

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:34 pm

A virus like this knows no deadline.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:28 pm

Back to my earlier comment, 'why isn't everyone wearing masks?'
As soon as anyone steps off of their property, they should be wearing a mask.

The fact that someone as robust and in shape like the singer Pink, got knocked on her ass with covid19, should show, that this virus is not to be taken lightly. She has no idea how she got it. She and her very young son got sick, while her husband and daughter did not.

When I look at the stats, there is no number for the people, who have recovered.
Has no one recovered? Other states list recoveries, but not Ohio.
What's with that?

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:48 pm

pj bennett wrote:Back to my earlier comment, 'why isn't everyone wearing masks?'
As soon as anyone steps off of their property, they should be wearing a mask.

The fact that someone as robust and in shape like the singer Pink, got knocked on her ass with covid19, should show, that this virus is not to be taken lightly. She has no idea how she got it. She and her very young son got sick, while her husband and daughter did not.

When I look at the stats, there is no number for the people, who have recovered.
Has no one recovered? Other states list recoveries, but not Ohio.
What's with that?

There are recovery numbers out there. It seems that I've seem them for NYS. Again i recommend Gov. Cuomo's daily press conferences, as well as his conversations with his brother, CNN's Chris, who has the virus. Chris also is a very fit individual. I'll mention recovery stats here the next time I see them.

You don't need masks all the time, but whenever you are close to people.

Availability of masks deserves its own thread.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:16 pm

Yes, and Chris's wife has tested positive.
I know that other states have had recoveries. I am referring to Ohio not having recoveries in their stats.

Dan, I live on Clifton Blvd. The other day, I was mowing my tree lawn. I went to turn around, only to have a mouth-breathing jogger come right along side me. I was forced to step out of his path. He never gave me a glance.

I see people walking their dogs, only to congregate on the corner as they wait for the light to change. Everyone is chatting everyone else up, and then go on their merry way.

I think, that everyone can agree that Lakewood is a very dense community. It is near impossible to walk around my block without having someone else sharing the sidewalk.

No one can predict, when they might come into close contact with someone. It happens.

I, for one, really do not want this virus.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:57 pm

pj bennett wrote:Yes, and Chris's wife has tested positive.
I know that other states have had recoveries. I am referring to Ohio not having recoveries in their stats.

Dan, I live on Clifton Blvd. The other day, I was mowing my tree lawn. I went to turn around, only to have a mouth-breathing jogger come right along side me. I was forced to step out of his path. He never gave me a glance.

I see people walking their dogs, only to congregate on the corner as they wait for the light to change. Everyone is chatting everyone else up, and then go on their merry way.

I think, that everyone can agree that Lakewood is a very dense community. It is near impossible to walk around my block without having someone else sharing the sidewalk.

No one can predict, when they might come into close contact with someone. It happens.

I, for one, really do not want this virus.

Clifton is a particular problem. That is where I encountered the oblivious crowd watching a house fire when I was trying to walk dogs. Crossing the street is not an easy option on Clifton.

I don't know about laws and and enforcement. One citation appropriately publicized would go a long way.

Return to “COVID-19 Archives”