The Covid Tracking Project

This will be the archive for the daily COVID-19 Updates and eventually all COVID-19 posts.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Dan Alaimo

Re: The Covid Tracking Project

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:25 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Here is a link to state-by-state data:

https://covidtracking.com/

Thanks, Mark. There's so much we don't know, it's refreshing to see hard facts.
The lack of testing and how it is only now being expanded will make a big difference, but hopefully that will be reflected here in the future.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:50 pm

I'm racking my brain trying to find one good use for the state-by-state data. And I'm coming up empty. Nor am I coming up with any particular reason for the emphasis on testing, at least insofar as any impact testing may have (or not have) on guiding policy. But my guess is that the only people being tested are substantially symptomatic, and probably from at-risk groups.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:21 pm

Tim Liston wrote:I'm racking my brain trying to find one good use for the state-by-state data. And I'm coming up empty. Nor am I coming up with any particular reason for the emphasis on testing, at least insofar as any impact testing may have (or not have) on guiding policy. But my guess is that the only people being tested are substantially symptomatic, and probably from at-risk groups.

Tim,
I'm in touch with people around the country with varying perspectives: someone in Atlanta thinking it's just about over; people in New York afraid that there will soon be a "shelter-in-place" order, and I find it useful to see the actual numbers in those places and how they compare with Ohio. Testing is the wild card, of course, and we just don't know what is out there to make real comparisons. I find it informative to see it all in one place. It would be more so if there were more comparative numbers and percentages, but like everything else related to this pandemic, it is just getting started.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:06 pm

My way of tracking covid 19 is through the urban sketchers and textile artists that I follow on Instagram.

(I am not on Facebook, so I have no idea what is being said on that site.)

These artists don't mention statistics; rather, they talk about their fears and loneliness, as the number of cases rise around them. They talk about having to cancel classes, workshops, gallery exhibits, etc. For many, this is their only source of income.

All in all, they are trying to stay positive. There's no whining. But, keeping an upper stiff lip can be hard to maintain.

I follow artists in the UK, Italy, Spain, Australia, New Zealand, Turkey, Japan, Germany, Austria, U.S. and a few other places.

They are sketching the same view from their window, but in different mediums. They are sketching their living rooms and kitchens. They are sketching everything, that is in their apartments.

The street photographers that I follow, can now only post from their archives.

I am looking forward to the day, when some artists begin to say that the number of coronavirus cases is decreasing.

On a different note.... earlier today, I called my credit card company to make a payment on my account's balance. I learned, that the young man assisting me is in the Philippines. He was quite upset by the hoarders buying everything up, leaving nothing behind but empty shelves. His parting words to me were, "Wash your hands! Please do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth!" The urgency and sincerity, with which he spoke, was incredibly touching.

I can see, where tracking numbers has merit and serves a purpose for many.

For the most part, I track the coronavirus through IG.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:47 pm

pj bennett wrote:My way of tracking covid 19 is through the urban sketchers and textile artists that I follow on Instagram.

(I am not on Facebook, so I have no idea what is being said on that site.)

These artists don't mention statistics; rather, they talk about their fears and loneliness, as the number of cases rise around them. They talk about having to cancel classes, workshops, gallery exhibits, etc. For many, this is their only source of income.

All in all, they are trying to stay positive. There's no whining. But, keeping an upper stiff lip can be hard to maintain.

I follow artists in the UK, Italy, Spain, Australia, New Zealand, Turkey, Japan, Germany, Austria, U.S. and a few other places.

They are sketching the same view from their window, but in different mediums. They are sketching their living rooms and kitchens. They are sketching everything, that is in their apartments.

The street photographers that I follow, can now only post from their archives.

I am looking forward to the day, when some artists begin to say that the number of coronavirus cases is decreasing.

On a different note.... earlier today, I called my credit card company to make a payment on my account's balance. I learned, that the young man assisting me is in the Philippines. He was quite upset by the hoarders buying everything up, leaving nothing behind but empty shelves. His parting words to me were, "Wash your hands! Please do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth!" The urgency and sincerity, with which he spoke, was incredibly touching.

I can see, where tracking numbers has merit and serves a purpose for many.

For the most part, I track the coronavirus through IG.

Thank you, an amazing post.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:10 pm

and thank you, Jim for having these boards, so that we can all share our experiences, our opinions, our concerns.....

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:12 pm

How do you all like this revelation?

Our “leaders” knew all along this was on the way.

They worried more about their money than the lives of you or your family.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/818192535/burr-recording-sparks-questions-about-private-comments-on-covid-19

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:12 pm

How do you all like this revelation?

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/818192535/burr-recording-sparks-questions-about-private-comments-on-covid-19

pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:32 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:How do you all like this revelation?

Well, that has become the way. That large hole on the former site of a hospital is proof, that money comes before lives.

Meanwhile, I read earlier today, that general practitioners in northern Italy, were seeing some strange cases of the flu/pneumonia as early as December/January, and didn't understand what was going on. They weren't aware yet, of what was happening in China.

And, I heard that an inflatable hospital, complete with an I.C.U has been erected in central Mexico.

Plus, 2 naval hospital ships, that can hold 1,000 patients each are being prepped. One will dock in New York, and the other will head towards California. Exactly where in California is yet to be determined.

ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:00 am

This guy makes comparisons between the 1957 Flu and this new Corona.

https://news-decoder.com/2020/03/05/asi ... ronavirus/

The main difference is...There were a lot fewer televisions back then. A lot fewer televisions per person. And you were lucky to get three stations. And there was no internet. and no cell phones. and no internet on cell phones. These conventions produce different kinds of civilizations.

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:04 am

Maps And Analysis At Politico

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/2 ... aps-146144

Tremendous graphic overview of policy implementations to "flatten the curve."

Nadhal Eadeh

Postby Nadhal Eadeh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:27 pm

All,

I wanted to share this website. It provides a state by state “flattening the curve” assessment:

http://www.91-divoc.com/pages/covid-vis ... b1WVtOKjuE

The good news is Ohio seems to be on the right path. Hope this helps!

Nadhal

Return to “COVID-19 Archives”