Lakewood Observer to start charging for papers now

This is where we place discussions and conversations about the Lakewood Observer Observation Deck.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Corey Rossen

Lakewood Observer to start charging for papers now

Postby Corey Rossen » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:15 pm

I overheard in a recent conversation that due to decreasing distribution the Lakewood Observer was going to begin charging for papers at newsstands and other outlets. Digital subscription fees are not far behind for readership, either. Losing City Hall distribution and papers being taken to the dump could not have hit that hard, but must have.

Easy decision really, considering printed newspapers are on the decline, rags are overly abundant, advertisers are hard to find and will probably not renew and internet is taking over. People are more prone to pay online fees and subscriptions nowadays so maybe that the best way to go.

Corey Rossen

"I have neither aligned myself with SLH, nor BL." ~ Jim O'Bryan

"I am not neutral." ~Jim O'Bryan

"I am not here to stir up anything." ~Jim O'Bryan
Jim O'Bryan

Re: Lakewood Observer to start charging for papers now

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Corey Rossen wrote:I overheard in a recent conversation that due to decreasing distribution the Lakewood Observer was going to begin charging for papers at newsstands and other outlets. Digital subscription fees are not far behind for readership, either. Losing City Hall distribution and papers being taken to the dump could not have hit that hard, but must have.

Easy decision really, considering printed newspapers are on the decline, rags are overly abundant, advertisers are hard to find and will probably not renew and internet is taking over. People are more prone to pay online fees and subscriptions nowadays so maybe that the best way to go.

Corey

More Corey BS, no talk of charging.

We just got funding to reprint more of this issue of this issue, an insert next issue, and crowd sourcing is being looked.

Calls have some in from ACLU and my buddy Avery Friedman. And more home delivery people are stepping up.

Today I ran into Ex-State Attorney General Mark Dan who loves every issue, and congratulated the LO for being on top of this story.

Actually you are behind the times, Printed papers are on the rise.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:12 pm

Jim, As I've told you, it's one thing to take an unpopular stand, another thing to use unacceptable language, but something else entirely to undermine the platform that enables all of us to express ourselves. Dan

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:00 pm

If print is on the rise then why start charging? Shouldn't the ads pay for the paper, everything is just gravy. Mismanagement maybe? Too much in rent? Too much in other overhead, licensing and legal fees? Anything is possible at this point.

I'm not sure how many people will pay for this online, seeing how all the numbers have dropped since the project alienated nearly all of its readership. Oh well, it's not my ship to sail or sink. Leave that to the management.

Corey Rossen

bentleymike

Postby bentleymike » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:14 pm

I will say...as an advertiser, I'd love to see the poet in every mailbox. I think it's wonderful the paper is free. That's the point of this paper. For the people, by the people. Even if we all don't agree at times.

As a business person, I think I speak for all advertisers, that we'd also like our rates to stay the same.

Mike Bentley
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:24 pm

bentleymike wrote:As a business person, I think I speak for all advertisers, that we'd also like our rates to stay the same.

Mike

Always a pleasure, thanks for the support, and your understanding of the project.

Same prices for 12 years. No plans to change.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:32 pm

bentleymike wrote:I will say...as an advertiser, I'd love to see the poet in every mailbox. I think it's wonderful the paper is free. That's the point of this paper. For the people, by the people. Even if we all don't agree at times.

As a business person, I think I speak for all advertisers, that we'd also like our rates to stay the same.

See that's where the problem and opportunity come together. Rates may be great now but readership and advertisers are going away for the project. Less readers means less advertisers willing to contribute. Less advertisers means increased rates for those who stick around. Increased rates for advertisers leads to charging readers because advertisers will diminish. This will lower readership even more. It is a vicious cycle.

Live it up now, times are changing. People feel alienated and it will only continue to get worse in this mad dash election time. Keep in mind the votes went against what the project is pushing for.

I have heard Jim and the project proclaim far too many times that "we just landed a big ad" or "we just got paid" or "just wait, you'll see what we have coming" and each time there is nothing to show for it. I have heard it far too many times.

Corey Rossen

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:05 pm

Corey Rossen wrote:
bentleymike wrote:I will say...as an advertiser, I'd love to see the poet in every mailbox. I think it's wonderful the paper is free. That's the point of this paper. For the people, by the people. Even if we all don't agree at times.

See that's where the problem and opportunity come together. Rates may be great now but readership and advertisers are going away for the project. Less readers means less advertisers willing to contribute. Less advertisers means increased rates for those who stick around. Increased rates for advertisers leads to charging readers because advertisers will diminish. This will lower readership even more. It is a vicious cycle.

Live it up now, times are changing. People feel alienated and it will only continue to get worse in this mad dash election time. Keep in mind the votes went against what the project is pushing for.

I have heard Jim and the project proclaim far too many times that "we just landed a big ad" or "we just got paid" or "just wait, you'll see what we have coming" and each time there is nothing to show for it. I have heard it far too many times.

Mr. Rossen, There something really malicious about you.
About the pleasure you take in the anticipation of the demise of The Lakewood Observer.
A local institution not unlike Rozi's Wine House.
I've had enough of you and your venom.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:14 pm

Well, mbuckley, consider that their efforts to obliterate the Observer by commencing a lawsuit isn't working out too well.

And the money! How much you think they've got in it by now? Must be in the tens of thousands considering all the subpoenas, motions, and filings. My goodness, someone's pockets are getting emptied pretty quick, eh?

So it's time to send in the trolls to stir it up a bit.

Isn't disparaging a business called something? Hmmm. Could it be defamation? Or commercial disparagement?

I believe those statements Corey made could be actionable.

Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:30 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:Well, mbuckley, consider that their efforts to obliterate the Observer by commencing a lawsuit isn't working out too well.

And the money! How much you think they've got in it by now? Must be in the tens of thousands considering all the subpoenas, motions, and filings. My goodness, someone's pockets are getting emptied pretty quick, eh?

Isn't disparaging a business called something? Hmmm. Could it be defamation? Or commercial disparagement?

I am not telling anyone not to invest in the project, I am just observing. This is a readership driven business. Once the readership has been alienated, and it has been noted here time and time again that people are leaving, throwing papers in dumpsters,etc. therein begins the problems.

All the eggs have been thrown in one basket. Unless on November 9th there is a fully functional hospital on Belle Avenue and Essi is elected Mayor, I foresee problems. Otherwise, as in the recent past, the votes go the other way and readership continues to decline there will need to be a financial solution. Fees will be that solution. These fees will be assessed to an already declining readership which is problematic in efforts to profit and/or maintain. It will be interesting to see what those fees will be. "Big news coming in mid-November" - I can see the headline now.

Corey Rossen

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:32 pm

Corey Rossen wrote:
Bridget Conant wrote:Well, mbuckley, consider that their efforts to obliterate the Observer by commencing a lawsuit isn't working out too well.

I am not telling anyone not to invest in the project, I am just observing. This is a readership driven business. Once the readership has been alienated, and it has been noted here time and time again that people are leaving, throwing papers in dumpsters,etc. therein begins the problems.

All the eggs have been thrown in one basket. Unless on November 9th there is a fully functional hospital on Belle Avenue and Essi is elected Mayor, I foresee problems. Otherwise, as in the recent past, the votes go the other way and readership continues to decline there will need to be a financial solution. Fees will be that solution. These fees will be assessed to an already declining readership which is problematic in efforts to profit and/or maintain. It will be interesting to see what those fees will be. "Big news coming in mid-November" - I can see the headline now.

Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:32 pm

m buckley wrote:
Corey Rossen wrote:

Mr. Rossen, There something really malicious about you.
About the pleasure you take in the anticipation of the demise of The Lakewood Observer.
A local institution not unlike Rozi's Wine House.
I've had enough of you and your venom.

Please tell me how they are similar.

Corey Rossen

Return to “Discussions About The Deck”