How many people actually look at the DECK?

This is where we place discussions and conversations about the Lakewood Observer Observation Deck.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim O'Bryan

Re: How many people actually look at the DECK?

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:11 am

Brad T Humphreys wrote:[Tangentially related Latin Quote: Semper ubi sub ubi]

So why do I come here periodically? I think calling gawking at a accident metaphor that I hear is too much of a simplification.... it's more of a social science experiment gone awry.

Mr. OBryan had an interesting hypothesis that if people were required to use their real names, they would engage themselves in the decorum of adults with good debate and discourse. Seems like a reasonable hypothesis. And I think he was correct, most do (and want to limit themselves to adult interactions) - especially in this day and age of online associations being a google search away.

But what makes this an interesting social experiment gone awry, is what happens when your hypothesis is true, BUT the outcome of the experiment is counter what you expected. Say 95% (number just for sake of demonstrating a large majority) do follow the hypothesis. But to 5%, the hypothesis does not hold, BUT it those outliers that determines the outcome of the experiment?

----------------------------
[Quotes.com - blah blah blah blah]

Brad

I would say you have nailed it, but as you point out an over simplification.

We, about 15 of us, looked at everything that had gone wrong in the city in the past when it came to the media and social media.

About 9 of us set forth this idea, with the concept of accountability, and as you put it, "online associations being a google search away."

Our thought was, we will let individuals define themselves, by their words and actions. It works very well as is being proven everyday.

I would say the question is, What does the city need now, that we have seen this erode into whatever it is right now, but still very reflective of the community.

I would also say one of the many things we have said from day one, most sites are working to suck you in, make you sit on their website and digest their BS. We had always hoped that this would become, as you put it, a place to stop by and check in on what is going on, with the residents of the community. The Observer project has no interest in serving koolaid, making you part of "the team," any of that.

Which again is one of the best parts of Observing the Deck. Most project from their own lives, and the way they do things.

It is all very telling, about the community.

Thanks for the post, and the occasional checking in.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:28 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Patrick Wadden wrote:Jim,

As a life long Lakewoodite who enjoys the back and forth of the deck, I would like to know how many people look at posts on the DECK.

Some of these posts seem to get thousands of views but I am courious if these are discrete views. My gut tells me that these are a total of views accumulated by the same person checking in on the deck to see if there was something new to look at. I do it every day.

Although I don't chose to comment on every post, I am wondering how the "views" are measured?

The "Wake up Lakewood" post has 848 views. Is that 848 made up of my 9 views when I was checking on the post to see who and what was said? Are these individual views or is that a total number by all people that check the Deck 6 times a day like me?

Patrick

We do not monitor views, looks or likes, we never have. WE have no interest in monetizing the website. The ads on the front are FREE to advertisers, and are rotated. Here on the Deck the only ads are the ones by businesses talking about themselves.

Deck views get spread many different ways.
1) The Deck, most posts are just this, a post. (anyone registered can do this)
2) Posts that get interest and are shared or retweeted from the post. (anyone can do this_
3) Posts that are moved over to various places, Facebook, Twitter, etc. (5 people can do that to the Observer FB Page, two to Twitter)
4) Posts that get national attention. (Crimes, national names, etc)
5) Crime or photos
6) The most number of views in any day was posting about a kidnapping with a plea from the mother. It was picked up by Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore and retweeted.

No figuring it out, it just is.

Patrick Wadden wrote:Thanks Jim. That's what I was looking for.

Mr. Wadden you seem to be stuck on this one.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:58 am

I look at it and try to come and view weekly, although the overall scope of Deck posts has certainly declined. I believe a paper is a great way to get news out, but the forums seem to fail in execution quite often.

It can be entertaining (and sad) to watch the core LO people gang attack someone who they don't agree with like a stranger slapped their child.

:roll:

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:08 am

J Hrlec wrote:I look at it and try to come and view weekly, although the overall scope of Deck posts has certainly declined. I believe a paper is a great way to get news out, but the forums seem to fail in execution quite often.

It can be entertaining (and sad) to watch the core LO people gang attack someone who they don't agree with like a stranger slapped their child.

The scope of topics has declined because the Hospital is the most important Lakewood issue for at least the last 13 years...perhaps ever.
There is still plenty of other material on the Deck, but the Hospital is what drives discussion.

You trot out the "someone who they don't agree with" trope. Facts are not an opinion....if City Hall comes here to spread lies, they can and should be called out on it. We need more of that in our politics....and at every level.
One of the reasons Trump has gotten so close to the presidency is that mass media failed to call out his BS....they wanted to "tell both sides" in order not to offend anyone. Truth and facts went out the window.

J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:08 am

J Hrlec wrote:I look at it and try to come and view weekly, although the overall scope of Deck posts has certainly declined. I believe a paper is a great way to get news out, but the forums seem to fail in execution quite often.

I forgot to add.... also waiting for the standard 2-3 paragraph response from the 'LO team' trying to explain why all is good and true here which basically can be translated to "blah, blah, blah, same old blah"

:lol:

cmager

Postby cmager » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:06 pm

Is it a "gang attack" as you claim, or is it an "amplification" of one's position?
The Deck does what the internet does with facts and with lies, and does it very well. Everyone who posts on The Deck is subject to having their statements fairly scrutinized by Deckizens. Those statements that stand fair scrutiny may resonate and sail warmly ahead. Those statements that don't stand fair scrutiny may gain attention and sometimes sink. No matter if one comes with facts or with BS, one can expect to have their remarks amplified. It just is.

And this scrutiny creates a track record of good will and integrity and trust, or lack thereof. The Deck tolerates posters and those who help others add to the collective wisdom of the community. The Deck tolerates less so poseurs and those more destructive. If one is looking for safety, facts always win.

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:08 pm

todd vainisi wrote:Do you pronounce that "k-mah-jer" or "seem-AYE-grrr" or what?

Great stuff, Todd.
I always look forward to the trenchant wit of Build Lakewood.

Vote against 64.

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
cameron karslake

Postby cameron karslake » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:47 pm

todd vainisi wrote:Do you pronounce that "k-mah-jer" or "seem-AYE-grrr" or what?

Really? Who cares about such things?

Those who haven't anything better to care about apparently.

cmager

Postby cmager » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:22 pm

Sorry for the delay, I was called in to perform brain surgery.
Patrick Wadden wrote:Thanks Bill Mager, you brain surgeon.

It's a hard G. Mispronunciations used to frustrate my grandfather. I answer to many things, so I'd like to think I've evolved.
cameron karslake wrote:

Really? Who cares about such things? Those who haven't anything better to care about apparently.

I'd rather not care about how to calculate views or "amplifications" either. That's just going into the weeds.
cmager wrote:Is it a "gang attack" as you claim, or is it an "amplification" of one's position?
The Deck does what the internet does with facts and with lies, and does it very well. Everyone who posts on The Deck is subject to having their statements fairly scrutinized by Deckizens. Those statements that stand fair scrutiny may resonate and sail warmly ahead. Those statements that don't stand fair scrutiny may gain attention and sometimes sink. No matter if one comes with facts or with BS, one can expect to have their remarks amplified. It just is.

And this scrutiny creates a track record of good will and integrity and trust, or lack thereof. The Deck tolerates posters and those who help others add to the collective wisdom of the community. The Deck tolerates less so poseurs and those more destructive. If one is looking for safety, facts always win.

Stay focused, VOTE AGAINST 64.

todd vainisi

Postby todd vainisi » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:07 pm

Great stuff, Todd.

Vote against 64.

This is exactly what people are talking about. So because I don't like that you aren't abiding by the same rules that I have to abide by here, it makes me part of Build Lakewood? Quit labeling everyone not in your little clique as Build Lakewood. I voted for your freaking guy in the last election even though I didn't think he made a good choice to be mayor, but I didn't like the way the hospital was handled.

And yes, I'm going to keep making digs at your illegal usernames. If you don't want to hear them, put your real damn name in there like the rest of us have to.

m buckley

Postby m buckley » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:18 pm

todd vainisi wrote:
Great stuff, Todd.

Vote against 64.

This is exactly what people are talking about. So because I don't like that you aren't abiding by the same rules that I have to abide by here, it makes me part of Build Lakewood? Quit labeling everyone not in your little clique as Build Lakewood. I voted for your freaking guy in the last election even though I didn't think he made a good choice to be mayor, but I didn't like the way the hospital was handled.

And yes, I'm going to keep making digs at your illegal usernames. If you don't want to hear them, put your real damn name in there like the rest of us have to.

Stay focused Todd, you're really onto something.

todd vainisi

Postby todd vainisi » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Really? Who cares about such things?

Those who haven't anything better to care about apparently.

Yes, Cameron Karslake. It bothers me that I am recorded on this site under my real name making comments about the mayor about basketball hoops, etc while several other people are free to disparage and insult other users (including myself) from the secrecy of a username.

This is you, right? https://www.linkedin.com/in/cameron-karslake-55919736

I can do that because you are using your real name here. You, like me, are exposed on this website. Some others are not.

todd vainisi

Postby todd vainisi » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:34 pm

Thanks for the encouragement "m". And guess what, I don't need to stay focused. That's you. A good start would be to quit treating yourself differently than the rest of us and put your real and full name next to your comments on this site. I have 0 respect for you or your opinion until then since they are words spoken from a veil of secrecy. Look at the guts of a woman like Lori. I disagree with her mostly and think that she has poor manners but that lady risks a lot to say the things she does. It's brave. Being one of a handful of people with a pseudonym in a message board full of people forced to use their real names is cowardly.

All anybody needs to read here is Jim and Brian Essi anyway. The rest of you "focusers" are just crowd noise with little info and lousy takes.

Stay focused Todd, you're really onto something.

Patrick Wadden

Postby Patrick Wadden » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:41 pm

Cmager is Bill Mager a Lakewood High grad that lives in Phoenix and works for Intel? At least I think that's who it is. How would I know? All participants should be asked to use their full names in keeping with the transparency and accountability on the Deck.

https://m.facebook.com/bill.mager.14?ts ... =typeahead

I am not sure this is who Cmager is I just don't know.

Return to “Discussions About The Deck”