Observation Deck founder not being called before Congress

This is where we place discussions and conversations about the Lakewood Observer Observation Deck.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

mjkuhns

Observation Deck founder not being called before Congress

Postby mjkuhns » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:28 pm

The past week or so has provided another reminder—perhaps more intense and perhaps not—that Facebook is basically a bad platform administered by a terrible company.

Which makes me feel like we could do with an appreciation for the Observation Deck's relative merits.

Not selling your data to make money.
Not, presumably, selling your data at all.
Collecting a lot less data on you, also.
Unlike Facebook, I doubt that the Observation Deck is collecting a record of all calls that you make with a device from which you access the Observation Deck.
Not allowing secret ads, not allowing ads to target based on race, not selling ads to dodgy agencies connected with hostile foreign powers… not selling ads at all in fact.

Admittedly I'm guessing on some of these things, and maybe it would be worth updating the FAQ on various points.

But basically, the Deck is local; identities can be confirmed in person. It's small and has no shareholders, so there is no need to generate cash flow. In turn, there's no need to monetize participants.

Sounds good!

Maybe… it's time to reconsider this humble forum's advantages?

:: matt kuhns ::
Jim O'Bryan

Re: Observation Deck founder not being called before Congress

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:39 am

mjkuhns wrote:The past week or so has provided another reminder—perhaps more intense and perhaps not—that Facebook is basically a bad platform administered by a terrible company.

Which makes me feel like we could do with an appreciation for the Observation Deck's relative merits.

Not selling your data to make money.
Not, presumably, selling your data at all.
Collecting a lot less data on you, also.
Unlike Facebook, I doubt that the Observation Deck is collecting a record of all calls that you make with a device from which you access the Observation Deck.
Not allowing secret ads, not allowing ads to target based on race, not selling ads to dodgy agencies connected with hostile foreign powers… not selling ads at all in fact.

Admittedly I'm guessing on some of these things, and maybe it would be worth updating the FAQ on various points.

But basically, the Deck is local; identities can be confirmed in person. It's small and has no shareholders, so there is no need to generate cash flow. In turn, there's no need to monetize participants.

Sounds good!

Maybe… it's time to reconsider this humble forum's advantages?

Matt

As Facebook quietly celebrates their largest hack in their history, by still never mentioning it it members...

We collect no data, with the exception of IP Adresses, which are only used to track down faux names(6 times), and used by Authorities in proving where posts came from (3 times) That would be accessing the only information collected a total of 9 times in 15 years, and over 200,000 posts.

We do not sell email lists, we do not even send out mass emails, or contact members except when completely necessary.

We cannot access passwords, only generate new ones.

These were all the things we designed into this platform, when we saw places like MySpace, Patch, AOL, Google, and FaceBook monetizing every piece of information they could, and grabbing massive amounts of meta data. In most web efforts, this is really the gold they mine, we do not.

Even the real name feature was built in to protect not abuse our members.

Thank you for noticing.

Jim

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Discussions About The Deck”