Lakewood's Health Care Future Meeting 1.28.2015

A store house of articles, facts and discussions related to the loss of Lakewood Hospital, LHA, LHF.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim O'Bryan

Lakewood's Health Care Future Meeting 1.28.2015

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:23 pm

A standing room only crowd filled the Beck Center from the beginning. I mentioned to Scott
Spence one of my favorite people at the Beck Center about the crowded lot, and he
mentioned "It's the first night of classes and would normally be packed." I always tend to
forget just how students the Beck Center has.

The meeting was pretty much one would suspect with the members of the various groups
involved in the decision explain how much care went into the decision. Nothing new was
being talked about and the Mayor continued to talk about the sale of property in this deal
as something other than us liquidating our own assets for tax revenue.

Ken Haber who has the distinction of being on the Lakewood Hospital Foundation, and the
Hospital Board spoke about how they worked together to get a decision and briefly touched
on "a new 21 person XXXXXXX Board." To figure out the best way to handle the money that
in actuality belongs to the city. That the Clinic would have 3 members from the Clinic, and
they have not figure out the rest or what to do with the money.

The Clinic representatives touched on the future of healthcare, and how this new state
of the art facility would handle all needs until 2026 and beyond.

Actual presentation and slides to be posted later.
So the City starts the process and two year later ends up with same dance partner, 1,108
less jobs, massive negative impact on shops and city, but room for something like a rec
center?

During the lengthy question and answer period may good questions were asked, but
perhaps the most important asked by Bill Grulich when he asked the Clininc, "How much
wiggle room is in the 90 day limit on the offer?" They made a pat answer that it was put
in only to keep this discussion moving along, and was not etched in stone.

Ryan Salo got the house going when he asked, Tom Gable of the Hospital Board, "Do you
expect us to believe that closing of Lakewood Hospital and the opening of the Avon Hospital
is just a coincidence?" Tom answered "Yes." and the place erupted in cat calls and
laughter for a brief moment.

Ryan Salo asking Mayor Summers a question.

Another moment was when they described how studies showed why the Clinic needed to
open Avon Hospital, and the answer was community needed one. One some yelled from
the audience "so do we." and everyone cheered.

For the most part the audience was well behaved, and Mayor did a fair job working the
room for questions.

I am sure Ryan can add more, and I will ad more after looking at the pics and videos.

One thing I know, we need to make sure this is well thought out. Though personally I
would rather see the money go to the City of Lakewood, be available through this board,
or another vehicle and approved by City Council.

Heidi Finiff and Christine Cowen looking fabulous!

Stay tuned....

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Ryan Salo

Re: Lakewood's Health Care Future Meeting 1.28.2015

Postby Ryan Salo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:17 am

I was really glad to see so many residents there to voice their concerns or ask questions. I only went to try to get them on record to saw who started the conversation about downsizing and find out if city council will be able to make changes and have more than 90 days to make a decision. When I asked point blank who started the conversation I was told it was the Hospital Board. They are the ones that approached the clinic and said things aren't working.

Tom Gable did reiterate that the timing between Lakewood and Avon was just a coincidence. I don't believe that. I think the board knew that the Clinic was going to have to staff a new hospital and if they were going to shut down Lakewood there wasn't a better time than during the transition. It would be a PR nightmare if this happened 2 years from now when the Clinic didn't have job openings for everyone that would get fired. I also believe that the board knew that this would give city council a limited time to deliberate since the employees at Lakewood were already warned of the closing. If council takes too long we will either see all the Lakewood employees quit and start working at Avon or they will be jobless if they hang on to the bitter end.

I know the Clinic has had declining services but in my opinion they were OK keeping the status quo. The board is the one that got the ball rolling and is pushing it down the hill so they can get what they want, a new mini clinic and 4 acres to develop...

Ryan Salo
Ryan Salo

Postby Ryan Salo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:37 am

Concerning city council, I was really encouraged to talk with Sam O'Leary, David Anderson and Shawn Juris after the meeting until they turned the lights out on us. They all assured me they had no intention of rushing through the process. One of them stated they had heard the city was looking for a potential change in hospital partners back in September and then the next thing he heard was in January that it was a done deal and they were closing the hospital. They also were wondering who would actually introduce a bill for them to even vote on, right now they have nothing. Unfortunately they are just 3 of the 7 votes, I am not sure the powers to be care if it is a unanimous decision like the hospital board was.

In regards to the board vote, I heard that many of the hospital board members were kept in the dark for many of the conversations and plans and then pressured to support it so they looked like a united front. Not sure if that was true but it wouldn't surprise me.

Ryan Salo
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:20 pm

Ryan Salo wrote:In regards to the board vote, I heard that many of the hospital board members were kept in the dark for many of the conversations and plans and then pressured to support it so they looked like a united front. Not sure if that was true but it wouldn't surprise me.

Hospital board members kept in the dark? Pressured to support a deal they knew nothing about?

How can we take these public meetings seriously?

What purpose do they serve?

Are there any board members willing to speak up?

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:40 pm

Hey Jim!
Did you talk to the people handing out the leaflets?

I hope they submit an article for the next issue...I would like to hear more of what they have to say.

Bill Grulich

Postby Bill Grulich » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:29 pm

While I was at last night's meeting, my good friend Sharon was at the Lakewood Hospital emergency room after a bad fall. You'll never guess where they sent her for a followup visit on 1.29.2015? Give up? The Cleveland Clinic Medical Facility in Avon, Ohio. I drove with her to Avon and snapped these photos of the construction of the new Lakewood, I mean Avon Hospital ("Avon's First Full Service Hospital") They're working fast!
Attachments
Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital Looking Down.JPG
Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital Looking Down.JPG (68.27 KiB) Viewed 55397 times
Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital Workers.JPG
Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital Workers.JPG (76.96 KiB) Viewed 55397 times
Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital Sign.JPG
Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital Sign.JPG (53.36 KiB) Viewed 55397 times

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:34 pm

Michael Deneen wrote:Hey Jim!
Did you talk to the people handing out the leaflets?

I hope they submit an article for the next issue...I would like to hear more of what they have to say.

Mike

I know Steve. I met him almost a decade ago when he was handing out how the Lakewood Observer
is a tool for City Hall and the Library. He was made because of some change in the tech center, like
you can only hit ten pages a day. And he would slide his pieces against the Observer into the Observers
around town.

One day at bela dubby I saw him doing it and ask for a copy, and started a conversation. I asked him
why he was made at the Observer and he told me how the owner was a total tool for City Hall, and
supported the library and he was mad at the library. Not knowing he was talking to me he continued
on about how biased and unfair I was. I asked him if he ever sent in an article and he said no.

I introduced myself, and showed him how to submit a story about what a Jerk I am. Ever since then we
talk and if I see him at a bus stop or walking in the rain I'll give him a ride. I spoke with him last
night, he has to submit before it can run...

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:47 pm

Their flier calls for City Hall to take over and run the hospital.

I'm curious to know how they would fund this proposal....not to mention how to manage it.

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:46 am

Bill Grulich wrote:While I was at last night's meeting, my good friend Sharon was at the Lakewood Hospital emergency room after a bad fall. You'll never guess where they sent her for a followup visit on 1.29.2015? Give up? The Cleveland Clinic Medical Facility in Avon, Ohio. I drove with her to Avon and snapped these photos of the construction of the new Lakewood, I mean Avon Hospital ("Avon's First Full Service Hospital") They're working fast!

The Clinic has been undermining Lakewood Hospital for ten years. I always assumed that members of the Hospital Foundation and Hospital Board were doing their best to preserve and protect the Hospital but I guess I was wrong.

This is such a hoot. Avon, population 22,000, gets a new hospital on the day Lakewood, population 52,000, loses its hospital but Clinic officials and various media outlets tell us that it's all just a coincidence. :roll:

As recently as two years ago a City official told me that the Clinic wasn't going anywhere because they have a lease. If they are that blind to reality how can we depend on the City to take action?

Since Jim O'Bryan doesn't like it when I start new posts on the subject I'll say it here:

Where the actions of the Board just a rogue operation? A few well placed individuals working with the Clinic to undermine Lakewood Hospital to secure the land for future development? It seems possible. Where was the rest of the board on this issue?

At his point:

The City Council:

should insist on a Clinic facility as big as what is in Brunswick with similar services.
get it built on the Rockport land stretching from Detroit to Clifton
set aside the current hospital property for residential development

AND MOST IMPORTANT:

Demand that the Foundation and Hospital board be dissolved. They have played a double game and cannot be trusted. All money and property that is currently managed by the Board and Foundation should be surrendered to the City.

Both the Board and Foundation have a lot to answer for. It would be nice if we could get them under oath so they can tell us all about it.

Of course none of this is going to happen. When the next meeting comes to town just stay home. It's all dog and pony show.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:52 am

Bill Call wrote:
Bill Grulich wrote:While I was at last night's meeting, my good friend Sharon was at the Lakewood Hospital emergency room after a bad fall. You'll never guess where they sent her for a followup visit on 1.29.2015? Give up? The Cleveland Clinic Medical Facility in Avon, Ohio. I drove with her to Avon and snapped these photos of the construction of the new Lakewood, I mean Avon Hospital ("Avon's First Full Service Hospital") They're working fast!

The Clinic has been undermining Lakewood Hospital for ten years. I always assumed that members of the Hospital Foundation and Hospital Board were doing their best to preserve and protect the Hospital but I guess I was wrong.

This is such a hoot. Avon, population 22,000, gets a new hospital on the day Lakewood, population 52,000, loses its hospital but Clinic officials and various media outlets tell us that it's all just a coincidence. :roll:

As recently as two years ago a City official told me that the Clinic wasn't going anywhere because they have a lease. If they are that blind to reality how can we depend on the City to take action?

Since Jim O'Bryan doesn't like it when I start new posts on the subject I'll say it here:

Where the actions of the Board just a rogue operation? A few well placed individuals working with the Clinic to undermine Lakewood Hospital to secure the land for future development? It seems possible. Where was the rest of the board on this issue?

At his point:

The City Council:

should insist on a Clinic facility as big as what is in Brunswick with similar services.
get it built on the Rockport land stretching from Detroit to Clifton
set aside the current hospital property for residential development

AND MOST IMPORTANT:

Demand that the Foundation and Hospital board be dissolved. They have played a double game and cannot be trusted. All money and property that is currently managed by the Board and Foundation should be surrendered to the City.

Both the Board and Foundation have a lot to answer for. It would be nice if we could get them under oath so they can tell us all about it.

Of course none of this is going to happen. When the next meeting comes to town just stay home. It's all dog and pony show.

Bill

It was not just me asking for aline up of posts but others that were trying to figure out what was going on. You would post
a premise and it would be answered, but then ask again somewhere else. I got messages from WTF to shut him down.
Of course I would not shut you down, so I asked for a little moderation. Didn't mean to crush your groove.

Carry on.

Mike

Steve has a habit of suggesting things that are nearly impossible to do.

The City of Lakewood, in its current form, cannot run a hospital.

This was what started the Charter change XV, which is a true statement
and might underline how this worked.

If you realize the City cannot run a hospital, then there is very little reason
to keep the Board.

But if you had told the Charter Review team, "The City cannot run a hospital
but dissolving the Board could result in a "Foundation" receiving up to $82 mill
of funds that should go to the City, they might have suggested a different change.

If you tell the Hospital Board through paid consultants, there is no future for
Lakewood Hospital, then what would the Board think? Why would the Board
think "They are wrong?" No, they think it is impossible in this day and age.

If the Board is not told, there are other offers on the table, then they don't know.

The same is true for the Foundation and City Council. Though City Council can meet
in Executive Session to discuss in private, so keeping them out of the loop seems
pretty extreme, and adds to the idea of a cover-up and scheme.

Lakewood Hospital became iffy when Mayor Cain said no the the building, and
they built Fairview. Avon was not the death nail, but Fairview. While one hospital
has grown to a behemoth, Lakewood has sat on the same footprint for a long time.

This is why Tom Gable can say, Avon opening has nothing to do with Lakewood.
Even though people were transferred, people are transferred all the time. At
the meeting they referred to travel time to Fairview.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:41 pm

I would like to thank the Lakewood Hospital Board member that was willing to sit for me for over 3 hours
while I asked questions, and they explained their thoughts on the process. What you have said has
really helped me understand the timeline overall, and your thoughts on the deal.

Thank you.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:32 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:I would like to thank the Lakewood Hospital Board member that was willing to sit for me for over 3 hours
while I asked questions, and they explained their thoughts on the process. What you have said has
really helped me understand the timeline overall, and your thoughts on the deal.

Thank you.

Jim,

Nice open-ended bait post!

Why doesn't this same person provide an article for the community to read so that the knowledge can travel past you and your keyboard?

Corey

Corey Rossen

"I have neither aligned myself with SLH, nor BL." ~ Jim O'Bryan

"I am not neutral." ~Jim O'Bryan

"I am not here to stir up anything." ~Jim O'Bryan
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:00 pm

Corey Rossen wrote:Jim,

Why doesn't this same person provide an article for the community to read so that the knowledge can travel past you and your keyboard?

Corey

Corey

I don't people what to post or write.

I spoke with over 100 people for 5 months to put together the announcement and timeline.

Sometimes you need to hear something from many people, or different pieces of the puzzle
before anything of value surfaces.

I have a long history of sharing my observations and this topic is no different.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:59 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Corey Rossen wrote:Jim,

Corey

Corey

I don't people what to post or write.

I spoke with over 100 people for 5 months to put together the announcement and timeline.

Sometimes you need to hear something from many people, or different pieces of the puzzle
before anything of value surfaces.

I have a long history of sharing my observations and this topic is no different.

it said Board member, not memberS, prompting my response.

Corey

Corey Rossen

"I have neither aligned myself with SLH, nor BL." ~ Jim O'Bryan

"I am not neutral." ~Jim O'Bryan

"I am not here to stir up anything." ~Jim O'Bryan
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:45 pm

Corey Rossen wrote:
it said Board member, not memberS, prompting my response.

Corey[/quote]

I found out I know more than a few Hospital Board Members.
It wasn't until after I published the rumor and the story
did I see a list of Hospital Board Members. The list had been
removed from the City Hall website so the page was blank. I
knew some, met others and know some through work or friends.
Funny, in retrospect I could have called them had I knew who
they were.

I feel kind of bad about this, many of my friends are being blamed
for "dropping dime" or taking sides with the LO, and on and on,
when it was nothing like that.

I would hope the only side LO stands for is honest transparent
attempts at community dialogue without bias. So that the entire
community can Observe and take what they want out of it.

Anyway, it is a put up or shut project. This you know.
They will put up, or shut up I guess.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Hospital Archives 2014-2015”