Snowman Contest!

Where, what, & who noteworthy topics about what's going on in Lakewood and its neighborhoods.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Christina McCallum

Snowman Contest!

Postby Christina McCallum » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:23 pm

The St. Charles/Onondaga Block Club (south of Franklin to Madison) sponsored a snowman contest this weekend. Snowmen were to be finished by 3:30 p.m. Sunday 1/16, with prizes to be awarded for Biggest, Best Traditional, and Most Creative.

Drive through the neighborhood and see what families came up with, despite the cold temps and not very packable snow!

Winners will be announced later.

Christina McCallum

Re: Snowman Contest!

Postby Christina McCallum » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:37 pm

The results are in!

Eight families put together a variety of snow creations. Once the ballots were tallied, the winners were:

Most Creative:
1580 St. Charles (Blue Caterpillar)

Best Traditional:
1619 St. Charles (Snowman)

Biggest Snowman:
1632 St. Charles (Rocket)

Very impressive creations given the extreme cold! Congratulations to everyone who participated and who came out to see the entries!

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Christina

That was a nice diversion in the middle of a cold day.

This was my favorite!

A snow shark chasing a swimming snowman.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Kate McCarthy

Postby Kate McCarthy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Christina,

What an awesome idea. I hope you don't mind if I share it with our block club. We need more activities to maintain connections during the winter months.

Christina McCallum

Postby Christina McCallum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Kate,

Feel free! I cannot take credit for the idea; it came from Megan Krewson, who helps plan events for the neighborhood. It was a great way to get people out over those really cold days, and fun to walk around the neighborhood together to see all the entries.

THis was pretty impromtu--I sent out the email notice Thursday night for the Sunday deadline. Megan and her husband, Kyle, made ballots with the categories. All individuals who came out could vote by writing one address for each category. Kyle and Megan then tallied the votes so we knew who won the categories.

Prizes are always motivating, so we had Malley's chocolate bars for the kids who won. To further entice people to participate in the walk, we had hot chocolate. A coffee pot was set up on a neighbor's front porch with hot water, and we had Swiss Miss to mix by the cup.

Hope this is helpful!

Christina

Return to “Lakewood Out & About”