What happens when we trade the cow for some magic beans

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim O'Bryan

What happens when we trade the cow for some magic beans

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:58 am

I will be using this thread to underline what happens when a community either becomes
disengaged or turns their day to day running etc over to groups peddling promises,
dreams, snake oil and little more. Then build themselves up through lies, mistruths,
smoke and mirrors, while they really have no plan to stay in the mess they are creating.

How they are able to gut the government, the schools, destroy the non-profits, and
generally screw up things so bad they can never be fixed all in the name of "tomorrow
will be better."

It is also fascinating at how long cities and government are willing to let these hucksters go.

Stay tuned.

Real world examples from around the country, that we can apply to our city.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jim O'Bryan

Re: What happens when we trade the cow for some magic beans

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:36 am

From Lakewood's Ned Hill

"This represents an opportunity for a community to aggregate the land and think about what it's doing," he said.

City leaders would have to take risks, Hill said, but he notes that cities could buy dealerships from U.S. Bankruptcy Court, then invite developers to propose new uses.

The strategy takes advantage of depressed prices and gives a city more control.

"If a developer controls the land, the municipality has to negotiate over its use," he said. "With the community holding it, the power changes and you can play a longer-term game."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/2009/02/13/20090213sr-automalls0213.html

Over the success of the Rockport Project and getting other cities to do the same.

Rockport 5 years later.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
sharon kinsella

Re: What happens when we trade the cow for some magic beans

Postby sharon kinsella » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:36 pm

Most hopeful project I've seen lately is the urban farming in the Galleria.

How many flat roofs do we have here that could be turned into living roofs? How about converting empty buildings (Giant Eagle on Bunts and Detroit) into a renewable resources incubator?

Retail projects - nope.
Chain restaraunts - give me a break.
Doubles into single family homes - waste of space, resources and energy.
Foreclosed homes - green space left to waste.

Something new just scares people, especially when it doesn't give them all the power and bucks.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde

Return to “Urban Dynamics”