South Euclid Man Arrested In Beachwood Hostage Standoff

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Bill Call

South Euclid Man Arrested In Beachwood Hostage Standoff

Postby Bill Call » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:13 am

From the Plain Dealer:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/06 ... ed_to.html

I'm just whining.

When there was an Avon Lake man involved in a standoff in Lakewood there was no mention of an Avon Lake man in the headline.

When a Cleveland man commited a murder in Lakewood there was in mention of Cleveland man in the headline.

Like I said, I was just whining.

Jim O'Bryan

Re: South Euclid Man Arrested In Beachwood Hostage Standoff

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:05 am

Bill Call wrote:From the Plain Dealer:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/06 ... ed_to.html

I'm just whining.

When there was an Avon Lake man involved in a standoff in Lakewood there was no mention of an Avon Lake man in the headline.

When a Cleveland man commited a murder in Lakewood there was in mention of Cleveland man in the headline.

Like I said, I was just whining.

Bill

In the Lakewood Observer there was. In all three standoffs and the murders we made sure
people or more importantly the resident of Lakewood at least understood these were outside
influences and trouble makers coming into Lakewood.

When we started the Lakewood Observer up it was to address problems like these. While
we sat and read story after story that highlighted even erroneously Lakewood crimes and
criminals. Many people do not remember back, but for a long time the only time the PD
showed up was to report crime in Lakewood, never "the good deeds." And the Sun Papers
were little better worrying more about their more affluent cities like Bay Village and Westlake. Early in this process we realized that by starting this paper the LO could force
the media to look at Lakewood differently and more often.

Early on Jeff Endress was writing a piece how fair "the real media" it centered around the
"Phil Distsasio pedophile - The Lakewood Monster" who actually lived in Rocky River, and
had lived in Beechwood, Cleveland, Shaker Hts but NEVER Lakewood. He worked YMCAs,
coffee shops all over the county, but because the people of Lakewood were smart enough,
to see through his very weak BS, and because we had one coffee shop willing to let us
interview him there, Lakewood at that coffee shop were named as his hunting grounds.

Indeed it worked, in a mad chase to keep up with the Observer the Sun went through a
bunch of reporters until they stumbled on Kate Spirgen, a Lakewood High grad, and the
coverage of Lakewood has doubled. The Plain Dealer has often run positive stories of the
city after picking up leads on the Observation Deck. Actually all of the Cleveland media
keeps an eye on our Deck for breaking news.

FWIW

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:......bunch of reporters until they stumbled on Kate Spirgen, a Lakewood High grad, and the
coverage of Lakewood has doubled.

Competition is a terrible thing. :wink:

Jim O'Bryan wrote:......

....The Plain Dealer has often run positive stories of the
city after picking up leads on the Observation Deck. Actually all of the Cleveland media

I suspected that might be true. Every once in awhile the PD does a story on an obscure subject after the issue was raised on the deck. I wondered if it was just a coincidence.

I posted something on a $26 million superintendent pension and a few days later a front page story about superintendent's pensions. Could be a coincidence.

I suspect that politicians and the people who run the "non-profits" do not like the existence of the Observeration Deck. To many secrets revealed, to many questions asked. Although mostly they think they will weather the storm.

I happen to think that my compaint about the location of Tri-C's campus on the borders of Lorain County deserve more attention than it is likely to get. I don't think any other paper or news organization will explore the issue. Just like no one wants to discuss Mental Health Services homeless resettlement program. Oh well..

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Bill Call wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:......bunch of reporters until they stumbled on Kate Spirgen, a Lakewood High grad, and the
coverage of Lakewood has doubled.

Competition is a terrible thing. :wink:

Jim O'Bryan wrote:......

....The Plain Dealer has often run positive stories of the

I suspected that might be true. Every once in awhile the PD does a story on an obscure subject after the issue was raised on the deck. I wondered if it was just a coincidence.

I posted something on a $26 million superintendent pension and a few days later a front page story about superintendent's pensions. Could be a coincidence.

I suspect that politicians and the people who run the "non-profits" do not like the existence of the Observeration Deck. To many secrets revealed, to many questions asked. Although mostly they think they will weather the storm.

I happen to think that my compaint about the location of Tri-C's campus on the borders of Lorain County deserve more attention than it is likely to get. I don't think any other paper or news organization will explore the issue. Just like no one wants to discuss Mental Health Services homeless resettlement program. Oh well..

Bill

I have had long talks with Dick Russ at Channel 3, he claims they hit the website about
every 15 minutes and have subscribed to our RSS Feed, as has 19, 5 and Fox. I know for
a fact that the PD and Sun monitor it as well. The PD and Sun are actually on most of the
time trying to scoop us(?)! This has been brought to my attention through numerous
sources, that have nothing to gain. We also have ongoing relationships with Google and
Yahoo for all of the Observers.

This brings us to Lakewoodites that believe it is cool to say, "Never" What some of us have
realized it that many that say "NEVER" can quote verbatim nearly every post worth
speaking of. Which is where it speaks volumes to the peer pressure in this town to be
cough cough "in."

I had the pleasure to recently meet one of the "leaders" of a civic group here in town. A
person I never had the pleasure of meeting before. She said, "Oh, you are Jim O'Bryan,
you are the one that posts on the Deck. I never read it." I said, "Well then how do you
know I post?" Her answer was "WE WERE TOLD TO NEVER POST." I said does not matter
no reads it or the paper. She answered, "Are you nuts they all read it, they are just
afraid to post."

Imagine that cup of BS, other people telling Lakewoodites not to share their ideas,
comments, words, thoughts, experiences, etc. Because a few cannot put up, and are
afraid?!

Insane, high school BS.

At least the media tells it like it is.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Insane, high school BS.

Another story I thought deserved more attention was the new stadium in Avon. The City is seeking a retroactive change in tax law to save $500,000 per year in property taxes.

The Stadium is leased to a private for profit company. Normally, the lessee pays those property taxes. If Avon is successful in getting that retroactive change the company will save over $5 million over a ten year period.

I did a little digging and found that the original application for tax free status contained material errors in fact. I also found a business relationship between the City and the company that I found... interesting.

No one is interested in the story. When is the last time the State Senate worked overtime to get a retroactive change in tax law for a Lakewood business?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:50 am

Bill Call wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:Insane, high school BS.

Another story I thought deserved more attention was the new stadium in Avon. The City is seeking a retroactive change in tax law to save $500,000 per year in property taxes.

The Stadium is leased to a private for profit company. Normally, the lessee pays those property taxes. If Avon is successful in getting that retroactive change the company will save over $5 million over a ten year period.

I did a little digging and found that the original application for tax free status contained material errors in fact. I also found a business relationship between the City and the company that I found... interesting.

No one is interested in the story. When is the last time the State Senate worked overtime to get a retroactive change in tax law for a Lakewood business?

Bill

One of the very real stories in the world is how residents all over the country, county
and city, are rolling over like submissive little pups, while their elected officials, and civic
leaders pull strings behind the scenes for their own benefit, not the benefit of the people
they are trying to server.

A mass illusion of we are doing it for you... We are the good ones.... Why be negative with
us... And it seems to be working. I am not sure if it is the level of Americans that are
medicated or self medicated, but the country, county, and cities have gone to hell with the
current FORM of power structures, and from what I am seeing here, it will only get worse.

Around here there is talk of getting rid of the Demora power structure. But only by those
trying to get their close little power group into that seat. Look at here in Lakewood, City
Hall to my knowledge has turned down and is actively fighting at least 3 public record
requests! This is insane, especially when you see what the requests are for, and that
Lakewood has lost this very fight at least two other time in court.

We have a school board whose biggest fight amongst themselves behind the scene is
transparency and accountability. Because if they were, they would not be able to work
the agenda some have been told "you better get done." Still the city has no stomach for it.
People behind the scenes that are still actively controlling the school board are Chaz Geiger
and Mike Summers.

I am sure the same is true everywhere else. Old power brokers more worried about control
then the city they have been driving over the cliff for the past 10-20 years. But now they
move their hands slightly differently, and where the latest fads and say, "This time we
really have it right, trust us."

I believe it was Einstein that said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing the
same way and expecting different results. I would say that is true with cities. If we are
to believe the "power brokers" that claim Lakewood needs this and that, then why will
they not answer why they got us to this point? Why should we believe they have the solution?
Why should we believe them when they plug their next "elected official" in through appointment.

?

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:52 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote: Look at here in Lakewood, City
Hall to my knowledge has turned down and is actively fighting at least 3 public record
requests! This is insane, especially when you see what the requests are for, and that

You are such a tease. What 3 public record requests? Who made the requests?

The County reform movement is over.

The PD used the corruption probe as a vehicle to push for regionalism. The never really cared about corruption. Do you think they weren't aware of corruption before last year?

Early next year look out for a series of articles in the PD about how the new county government doesn't have the power (to many municipalities) or resources (taxes are too low) to do the job.

And how do you expect to exert influence on the Lakewood power structure unless you start saying no to tax increases? And why do you support tax increases to provide raises to people who hate the city so much they can't stand thought of living here?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:25 am

Bill Call wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote: Look at here in Lakewood, City

You are such a tease. What 3 public record requests? Who made the requests?

The County reform movement is over.

The PD used the corruption probe as a vehicle to push for regionalism. The never really cared about corruption. Do you think they weren't aware of corruption before last year?

Early next year look out for a series of articles in the PD about how the new county government doesn't have the power (to many municipalities) or resources (taxes are too low) to do the job.

And how do you expect to exert influence on the Lakewood power structure unless you start saying no to tax increases? And why do you support tax increases to provide raises to people who hate the city so much they can't stand thought of living here?

Bill

As you know Public record request can be made annomiously, and I believe these were. I
do know that many people cc the Observer when sending email and requests. I suppose
that is because we can be trusted, and they want to make a public record of the item or
request. The amount of email is pretty staggering as to what is really going on in this city.

I would prefer to keep their wishes, and just say that the time is running out and at $1,000
per document, per day I think that neither the city nor the schools can afford to wait much
longer. I also know the the SPJ (Society of Professional Journalists) has been brought, and
has underwritten the legal fees in the past.

I would agree County Reform is dying. Those that cried out for it, suddenly realize it is
only going to make things worse for the county. Everyone is hoping someone can take
control. But NO ONE wants any one person to have control, especially if that person has
been proven to be controlling, and secretive in how they run things.

People want change and that change is OPENNESS, TRAANSPARENCY and ACCOUNTABILITY.

As I am starting to hear the next line up for council when Nickie moves on, and Ed
gets elected is almost staggering in their boldness to control. This is going to be a fun election.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Urban Dynamics”