Is Lakewood Ready For The Future?

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim O'Bryan

Is Lakewood Ready For The Future?

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon May 10, 2010 8:01 am

The single biggest issue in Lakewood is our housing stock. 100 year old homes that have
suffered tens of rebuilds as owners chase fads. Or even worse did nothing, and now are
desperately in need of updates. Especially around power requirements.

White flight? Suburbs lose young whites to cities
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100509/ap_on_re_us/us_changing_suburbs

As predicted here from the earliest days. Cities and inner-ring cities will be in demand
again. Is Lakewood ready for the young families, that are looking for character, public
parks, schools, safety, and community. How do you score us?

The LakewoodAlive Housing program seems to be accomplishing miracles under the
stewardship of Hilary Schickler, who has a very impressive record of understanding
neighborhoods, homes, property, values, families, and how to work within the system
of grants, loans, and community help.

Lakewood home being brought up to "nice" with the help of LakewoodAlive's Director
of Housing Outreach, Hilary Schickler. For more information to see how this program can
help you or your neighbors call 216.LA1.1554
http://lakewoodalive.com/lakewood-housing.html

Almost ten years ago the VAL(Visionary Alignment for Lakewood) understood this and
told our civic leaders to focus on housing stock, and stop chasing the strip mall dream
of retail. The VAL findings were validated a year later by the Grow Lakewood Committee
that had said "office space and housing" were keys to Lakewood's future. While it would
seem that the GL Committee never saw the explosive growth of "collaborative software" in
killing the need for offices. I was pleased to see they were now looking at housing.

Now we should move quickly as it is late. Fix up housing stock, make our rentals the best
in the region. Offer these young families, just what they need, and it just so happens, it is
exactly what we have.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bill Call

Re: Is Lakewood Ready For The Future?

Postby Bill Call » Tue May 11, 2010 7:12 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:... .. GL Committee never saw the explosive growth of "collaborative software" in
killing the need for offices.

The inability of the "experts" to predict the future leads to the failure of many "expert" solutions.

IBM did not want microsoft. JC Penny did not want Sam Walton. The founders of Google tried to sell it for $750,000 so they could finish college but the "experts" backed the company you never heard of, Excite.

http://www.bspcn.com/2010/04/26/the-8-d ... ions-ever/

Attempts to stem the decline of Cleveland have all revolved around experts using taxpayers subsidies to subsidize money losing companies and non-profits. How is that working?

I was going to start a post titled: "Downtown is dead and it is not coming back" but I can hide it here as well as elswhere.

Downtown Is Dead And It Is Not Coming Back

Plan accordingly.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue May 11, 2010 9:38 pm

Bill Call wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:... .. GL Committee never saw the explosive growth of "collaborative software" in
killing the need for offices.

The inability of the "experts" to predict the future leads to the failure of many "expert" solutions.

IBM did not want microsoft. JC Penny did not want Sam Walton. The founders of Google tried to sell it for $750,000 so they could finish college but the "experts" backed the company you never heard of, Excite..

Bill

I am with you but some things can easily be seen, and good housing never goes out of style really.

Safe and clean plays pretty well when looking for homes too.

Bill Call wrote:Attempts to stem the decline of Cleveland have all revolved around experts using taxpayers subsidies to subsidize money losing companies and non-profits. How is that working?

I was going to start a post titled: "Downtown is dead and it is not coming back" but I can hide it here as well as elswhere.

Downtown Is Dead And It Is Not Coming Back

Plan accordingly.

Bill

Grabbing the anchor on a sinking ship is rarely the best answer.

For over a decade leaders have tried to "manage decline." I fear they are even more successful then they
ever dreamed they would be. Yes the region is filled with GREAT decline managers.

The good news?

If Lakewood was in the middle of Iowa, we could sustain ourselves. Add freshwater, clean, safe, affordable,
near everything, with great diversified housing and GREAT schools. We have Cleveland just east of us, like having Mentor over there.

At some point, we need to embrace what we have, good housing, and do it even better.

As for grant/government money.
If it is there,
might as well apply,
someone is going to get it,
might as well have someone
with a good track record,
doing it for us.

Right?

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Wed May 12, 2010 6:49 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:At some point, we need to embrace what we have, good housing, and do it even better.

As for grant/government money.
If it is there,
might as well apply,
someone is going to get it,
might as well have someone
with a good track record,
doing it for us.

Right?

I always thought a good housiing policy was the key. But what kind of housing policy?

As long as the government is printing money and throwing it out the windows of their limosines we should get our fair share.

Our State and Federal reps have done a terrible job of getting us a piece of the action.

A coherent housing policy has to include inducements for the upper middle class and upper income people. They pay the bills.

So..

1. Grants (gifts of money) to homeowners who rip off that old siding and paint the house with period colors. The City should go to the homeowner and not wait for the homeowner to go to the City.

2. Not every fourth floor walk up without parking is a treasure. Tear them down. Pass a street congestion tax of $500 per unit per year for rentals without at least one off street parking place per unit.

3. Seek a change in emminent domain law for commercial buildings. The owner of the Phantasy turned down $2 million because he thought it was worth $5 million. Fine, let him pay taxes on the $5 million instead of the $600,000 he pays on now. This town is hurt by carpet bagging building owners.

4. Concentrate all subsidies and effort in one section of one ward at at time. It's nice to do a house here or there but no one notices. People need to notice.

5. Green Lakewood. I won't pay one penny more in taxes to finance another round of raises. I will pay substantially more in income taxes for a fund that would finance land purchases to build a few more parks. The Rockport area comes to mind.

6. Encourage construction of work/live space. The end of the office building does not mean the end of the need for a place to work.

7. Buiild the peninsula project but concentrate on Lake access for boating, swimming and recreation. Your idea to seize Clifton Park is the perfect liberal solution :D , seize what someone else has instead of creating more of it.

8. Narrow Madison Avenue to expand the sidewalk to allow for more outside eating space. The current plan is too timind. Add parking by (see #2). Madison is underdevelped and is being held hostage by guys like Calini.

9. Build a movie center complex. People leaving the show might be tempted to stop and get something to eat or shop at the local shop.

10. Build a hotel near the hospital.

11. Support the lite rail project only on the condition that Lakewood get 5 stops and that those stops include enough parking and on the condition that the City doesn't give up any City land or park land and that we get a bucket of money for development otherwise forget it.

12. Hold the schools accountable. If they use the new funds for another round of raises KATIE BAR THE DOOR!!!

13. Lein on CAC for our fair share of the loot being collected for the Arts Council. Peanuts and pennies are not acceptable.

14. Lean on Mental Health Services to either end their homeless resettlement plan or include Crocker park. Isn't the purpose of Crocker park to proivde a real city environment?

15. Please Pleae Please someone run against Dale Miller. We need a County representative who represents the people of Lakewood and West Park and not a representative of political hacks.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST: RESTORE CLIFTON PARK!!! LET RR RESIDENTS USE I-90.

DEAD END WEBB AT CLIFTON AND ALLOW RUSH HOUR PARKING ON LAKE!! DO THE CLIFTON AVENUE IMPROVEMENTS!

AND..

DON'T LET CLEVELAND CLINIIC DESTROY LAKEWOOD HOSPITAL!! WHY DON'T THEY MARKET THE HOSPITAL!!

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu May 13, 2010 6:21 am

Bill Call wrote:1. Grants (gifts of money) to homeowners who rip off that old siding and paint the house with period colors. The City should go to the homeowner and not wait for the homeowner to go to the City.

This is actually being done by Hilary. One of the problems have been that people think LA is going to turn them
over to the city. They leave a note offering to talk about help. I believe they are also catching them coming
through Pat Carroll's court.

Bill Call wrote:2. Not every fourth floor walk up without parking is a treasure. Tear them down. Pass a street congestion tax of $500 per unit per year for rentals without at least one off street parking place per unit.

Not sure how many 4 unit rentals are actually in Lakewood. But there has to be a way. Slowly buy them up
and make your pocket parks, or off the street parking with them. I am all for charging Landlords more money
by a lot more than you are talking.

Bill Call wrote:3. Seek a change in emminent domain law for commercial buildings. The owner of the Phantasy turned down $2 million because he thought it was worth $5 million. Fine, let him pay taxes on the $5 million instead of the $600,000 he pays on now. This town is hurt by carpet bagging building owners.

In full disclosure, they are friends, and I have a special place in my heart for the buildings, and would someday like to
go back and finish what I started. It is so close inside to be where it needs to be. That said, John cannot afford
to keep the place up. And yes it possibly should be judged on what it is worth, but surrounded by empty buildings
how much is it really worth? But the building should be brought up to code, and made to stand to the same
standards as the rest of the city. The fire damage should have been fixed in 30 says not 400! But there is more
there than meets the eye, and change in ownership could be anytime now.

Bill Call wrote:4. Concentrate all subsidies and effort in one section of one ward at at time. It's nice to do a house here or there but no one notices. People need to notice.

Which area? and while you are deciding with what money, and with what plan? Birdtown? While the city is
making strides there the "Birdtown Plan" is nothing more than busy work and college dreams. I am not sure
how much impact is in making Bi-Rite move their signage from the left side of the building over the door
to the right side of the building. Do we really need bird houses on yellow poles in front of every house? A
concept piece at best, but glad to see Kent State in Lakewood, good Urban planning department, unlike CSU.

Bill Call wrote:5. Green Lakewood. I won't pay one penny more in taxes to finance another round of raises. I will pay substantially more in income taxes for a fund that would finance land purchases to build a few more parks. The Rockport area comes to mind.

The next census is merely 10 years away. Are we looking for less people or more? If we are speaking of
land banking, I would lean towards community gardens over green space. Let's not forget we have over
2,000 acres of green space. I think taxpayers and consumers would be more valuable.

Bill Call wrote:6. Encourage construction of work/live space. The end of the office building does not mean the end of the need for a place to work.

This is Lakewood's potential gold mine. Live work space. I have said this for years. Lakewood is filled with
Lawyers, designers, photographers, consultants working out of their homes pulling in 6 figures. With the
emerging fields of collaborative software and Software as a Service platforms, more and more and more will
be working from home and should be encouraged to do so. People that work at home LOVE walkable communities
They love pocket parks, and coffee places. They love restaurants where they can meet clients. We need to stop
thinking of these people as the dregs of the earth and embrace our future. This is one of the reasons we had
pushed for a large fulfillment zone be built on Berea Road. Why our next business should be MicroCenter, not
another food place.

Bill Call wrote:7. Buiild the peninsula project but concentrate on Lake access for boating, swimming and recreation. Your idea to seize Clifton Park is the perfect liberal solution :D , seize what someone else has instead of creating more of it.

Bill, yes I am a flaming liberal, but please note you have offered to grab more right now in this letter than I
ever had. I have zero interest in grabbing anything but opening the beach to the public to raise our property
values and start a program of utilizing our lakefront.

But the peninsula The first thing to come our of the plan is a beach, and marina. It would take over a decade
to build it, as you have to use dregings, that do not come from the Cuyahoga as it is too polluted. (This was
the level of study done by Savannah. Then as the property is developed and sold off, it pays for the
amphitheater, the school rooms, the new parts of the park. I have to say that was a real eye opener for me.
How quickly "movers and shakers" poo-pooed the idea. Simple the best most complete study this city might
have ever seen. Many of the ideas presented did not reflect those of the person presenting, but were added
because others saw the need, or it made sense. I think over 200 park users and professional around the
country were interviewed for that project. But why even think of $500,000 in new property, we have a taco
place coming to Lakewood.

Bill Call wrote:8. Narrow Madison Avenue to expand the sidewalk to allow for more outside eating space. The current plan is too timind. Add parking by (see #2). Madison is underdevelped and is being held hostage by guys like Calini.

Yes

Bill Call wrote:9. Build a movie center complex. People leaving the show might be tempted to stop and get something to eat or shop at the local shop.

I believe a dead business. As much as it pains me, I am not sure it can happen anymore in a city of this
size. Looking into various scenarios for the three theaters in town, all looked bleak. Ideas that come up or
worked in other cities, just would not have the same impact here. What has been looked at: movies, dinner
movies, live entertainment, museum, 70mm movies, art films, specialty films. The only one with any legs
is live entertainment.

Bill Call wrote:10. Build a hotel near the hospital.

yes

Bill Call wrote:11. Support the lite rail project only on the condition that Lakewood get 5 stops and that those stops include enough parking and on the condition that the City doesn't give up any City land or park land and that we get a bucket of money for development otherwise forget it.

I could see two, but question what is the need. Originally championed by "train freaks" it would run from
downtown to Lorain. I saw this as a pipeline to desperate 2nd story guys that could work the suburbs even
without a driver's license. I always liked Ken's idea of from the Flats to the Put-In-Bay Ferry. Call it the
"Whiskey Train" and keep the drunks off the roads. A stop at Cedar Point would be nice for families.

Bill Call wrote:12. Hold the schools accountable. If they use the new funds for another round of raises KATIE BAR THE DOOR!!!

If there is one thing coming out of the last year of school board debacles it is at least two groups willing to
start over site of the School Board. While they are good people their decisions over the past decade leave
me scratching my head and wondering who they hell they are getting such bad ideas from. Garfield is a
perfect example, and let's hope the vanity of one or two Lincoln alumi do not allow it to happen again. The
schools spent millions over what was needed to incorporate a wall of the old Garfield into the new building.
Millions, for one wall. When ti was done those that fought for it could not tell that wall from the rest of the
building as architects had done such a good job matching the feel of the old Garfield. Millions, get it millions.

I would also push for over site of the city as well. It does not hurt anyone getting more eyes involved in what
is going on. Would bring better transparency and accountability to everything.

Bill Call wrote:13. Lein on CAC for our fair share of the loot being collected for the Arts Council. Peanuts and pennies are not acceptable.

And where does this money go? To who? What is the big program needing this? The Beck? LA's recently
acquired(taking the high road here) music nights?

When we deserve it, we should get our fair share.

Bill Call wrote:14. Lean on Mental Health Services to either end their homeless resettlement plan or include Crocker park. Isn't the purpose of Crocker park to proivde a real city environment?

Agreed times 10. We should also look for our regional brothers(not) to do their fair share for Section 8.

Bill Call wrote:LAST BUT NOT LEAST: RESTORE CLIFTON PARK!!! LET RR RESIDENTS USE I-90.

DEAD END WEBB AT CLIFTON AND ALLOW RUSH HOUR PARKING ON LAKE!!
DO THE CLIFTON AVENUE IMPROVEMENTS!

Bill

A couple questions. Would you restore the original boundaries? If so, this could be a winner. Not sure we can
close the bridge, but would be in favor of it. Why not allow parking on Clifton and Lake during Rush Hour
anyway? Seems like a huge waste of our police's time to ticket and tow Lakewood residents out of the way
for others driving through the city. Keep it tight and congested. Besides Rush hour no longer exists in
Cleveland, a friend driving in from the East last week pasted Eddy Road called and said, "What happened to
Cleveland? On the Shoreway doing 60 at 8:30am past Eddy Road, no traffic." I answered Cleveland broke its
promise to be a hub city. They have lost their way, and are now more worried about the region then their own
asses. I would hate for Lakewood to be next.

As for the Hospital, it is being improved.

Bill

Finally, thank you for showing up and not giving into the hype. Lakewood can still have
open discussions about our future and what is going on. We do not need to give up our
right to be heard as a single voice in this, our community.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Thu May 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Bill actually put forth some great ideas. Be still my heart.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu May 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Bill Call wrote:[\
I always thought a good housiing policy was the key. But what kind of housing policy?

What is our housing and commercial policies? Spent a time talking with someone that had gone through
The Community Development/LakewoodAlive Housing Program. I also looked into another case, and will
be going over this program. But as I look at the cases, what is being done and how it is happening, we
are really going to need to pull this together. I have always talked about housing as our key.

There are some pretty wild cases out there, and let me assure you, they are our friends and neighbors.

Many over bought, over financed, over refinanced, lost jobs, took pay cuts, lost pensions,
had health problems, just got tired of the upkeep, and no longer really care about that
cool gingerbread 35' up and will cost and extra $1000,00 in a job that is already 5 times
higher than last time you painted. If it is "that neighbor" your friend, or even ourself, there
is help out there. That means there is no excuse to let your house go to hell.

More, off to the East side for now...
Not sure what all the hype is about. More snow, more rain, and it is way out east!

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Heidi Hilty

Postby Heidi Hilty » Fri May 14, 2010 9:02 am

I agree that Bill has put forth some incredibly thoughtful, concrete recommendations to move the city forward.

"from the moment we open our eyes,
there is beauty to behold."
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Fri May 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:to build it, as you have to use dregings, that do not come from the Cuyahoga as it is too polluted.

I'll go out on a limb and say someone is selling you a bill of goods on the pollution problem of Cuyahoga River dredgings. Not that they don't exist but that they are not insurmountable.

http://www.glc.org/dredging/publications/benuse.pdf

Restoring Clifton Park is pie in the sky but while we are baking...

Yes, restore the original boundries and use the bridge as a multipurpose bikeway/walkway/condo site.

Downtown is dead and it is not coming back. Objections to:

restoring Clifton Park, rehabing Clifton, converting the shoreway to a true boulevard and making the Lakeshore a residential oasis..

are based on concerns about the commuting time and are not valid.

Restore the Park
Rebuild the homes!

The wails and cries
of River Folk

Are song to ears
to those awoked

By passing cars
with dreams distrubed

The wails and cries
of River folk

Are music to my ears

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri May 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Bill Call wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:to build it, as you have to use dregings, that do not come from the Cuyahoga as it is too polluted.

I'll go out on a limb and say someone is selling you a bill of goods on the pollution problem of Cuyahoga River dredgings. Not that they don't exist but that they are not insurmountable.

This actually came from the findings of a year later when the city of Cleveland decided they needed a peninsula
as well. Some pretty toxic stuff at the bottom of the river.

I have an 1885 Map of Lakewood that has the original boundary for Clifton Beach going straight up West Clifton
to Riverside Drive.

If we are closing off the bridge, I can think of another 25 streets we could add to the new cul de sac city.

Why not gate the entire city? Property in gated communities are on average are worth more than the cities
that surround the gated community. Would certainly make us safer.

FWIW

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Sun May 16, 2010 6:49 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Bill Call wrote:

This actually came from the findings of a year later when the city of Cleveland decided they needed a peninsula
as well. Some pretty toxic stuff at the bottom of the river.

In todays Plain Dealer Elizabeth Sullivan gushes enthusiastic about Cleveland:

http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index. ... level.html

One of her reasons for optimism is that Dike 14 (made by dredgings from the Cuyahoga) will be made into a major park. How can that be?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun May 16, 2010 11:45 am

Bill Call wrote:
In todays Plain Dealer Elizabeth Sullivan gushes enthusiastic about Cleveland:

http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index. ... level.html

One of her reasons for optimism is that Dike 14 (made by dredgings from the Cuyahoga) will be made into a major park. How can that be?

Bill

Not sure, I could be wrong. But Iremember reading either in Savannah's study or the study for Cleveland Peninsula, that the dregings could not be used. In the discussion was if filled could be used first or last to
cover the need for these dregings, and the answer was no, but Rocky River, Black River, etc. could be used
but add years to the build up.

If it is not true, makes our wasting 3-years in getting started even worse. While I am not convinced that
Cleveland needs a peninsula as much as a sober dose of reality. Lakewood does, we are completely built out
and we need more land, through building out or acquisition.

FWIW

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Donald Farris

Postby Donald Farris » Sun May 16, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi,
As I recall, dredgings from the Cuyahoga could be used if it was in the middle and properly sealed. Cleveland did not properly seal that huge track of land at the end of MLK. I believe the sealing meant a barrier of clay, I'm sure there are experts that would define it.

Mankind must put an end to war or
war will put an end to mankind.
--John F. Kennedy

Stability and peace in our land will not come from the barrel of a gun, because peace without justice is an impossibility.
--Desmond Tutu
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Mon May 17, 2010 6:30 am

Donald Farris wrote:Hi,
As I recall, dredgings from the Cuyahoga could be used if it was in the middle and properly sealed. Cleveland did not properly seal that huge track of land at the end of MLK. I believe the sealing meant a barrier of clay, I'm sure there are experts that would define it.

What do we know?

We know that Burke Lakefront Airport was built with dredged material. We know that Dyke 14 was built with dredged material. We know that the Port Authority wants to use dredged material to construct a new port facilty complete with offices and port facilities. We know that dredged material has been used around the world to provide building sites, harbor protection and more. We know that Dyke 14 is going to be converted to a park and wild life preserve.

What have we been told about the use of dredged material? That it is too toxic to be used to build anything off the coast of Lakewood. Color me skeptical.

What else to we know? That while "they" may talk about the importance of the central City "they" are spending money to develope the I-90 cooridor, the I-71 cooridor, the I-77 coordidor and the I-480 corridor. Since this region is losing population "they" seem to be betting on further dispersal of the population and not the increasing concentration of the population.

"They" are private developers and our regional institutions. How can Cuyahoga County Community College seriously say it is commited to the central core when it builds its new campus on the boarders of Lorain County in the middle of an industrial area far from its students?

And why are they all desperate to keep anything happening in Lakewood or along the Lakeshore?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon May 17, 2010 7:27 am

Bill Call wrote:
Donald Farris wrote:Hi,

What do we know?

We know that Burke Lakefront Airport was built with dredged material. We know that Dyke 14 was built with dredged material. We know that the Port Authority wants to use dredged material to construct a new port facilty complete with offices and port facilities. We know that dredged material has been used around the world to provide building sites, harbor protection and more. We know that Dyke 14 is going to be converted to a park and wild life preserve.

Bill

Before we get all outraged let's try to find the quote. Again as I remember it, it was not to stop Lakewood. The
comment was that it was to toxic for areas people would live in. Which would explain Burke Lakefront, as it
is a brown field anyway, and I am sure the same is for Dyke14.

Developers were salivating over the Peninsula project, at least the three that came and saw it in the office.

All it did was make it a little harder to get dreggings, not impossible.

Rethinking how we all do business

The loss of population has forced every local institution -- from arts organizations to major league sports teams to this newspaper -- to revisit how it delivers services to the public. Yet finding more relevant and sustainable roles is a good thing, forcing long overdue reforms in everything from Cuyahoga County governance to the Cleveland schools. Making local government more efficient and responsive is hard work in this politically ingrown town, yet worthwhile.

What I found interesting is that while Lakewood is pouring everthing into a "historic" DowntowN area,
Cleveland has rightfully understood and now decided, housing, housing, housing. That the best way to come
back and support a city is with enough residents. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Where have I read that before?

As Lakewood looks to the future, one might ask, "What do we have enough money to fix" and leave it at that.
Instead of throwing everything at everything, maybe a plan, and idea, something that could be change and
flexible. But the real question is, "Are the people that lead Lakewood here, the ones to lead us out?"

Are we going to have a "Tea Party" as in the child's make believe, not the adult version, or are we actually going
to get traction and do things?

FWIW

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Urban Dynamics”