Is Lakewood Ready For The Future?

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Dustin James

Re: Is Lakewood Ready For The Future?

Postby Dustin James » Mon May 17, 2010 8:33 am

The peninsula project would be awesome, but I thought there was no money? If there was, you might not need the added hassle of barging dredged material from downtown Cleveland. You might be able to go straight out into the lake and pump it directly to shore. This company does it all over the world = http://www.gldd.com/Default.aspx

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon May 17, 2010 8:44 am

Dustin James wrote:The peninsula project would be awesome, but I thought there was no money? If there was, you might not need the added hassle of barging dredged material from downtown Cleveland. You might be able to go straight out into the lake and pump it directly to shore. This company does it all over the world = http://www.gldd.com/Default.aspx

Dustin

Genius, but...

One of the things that came out of Savannah's report was using the Army Corp of Engineers which had to be included already could reduce the cost.

However this company would be very interesting to talk to.

The Peninsula was the most visionary project ever brought to Lakewood. The leaders were
no where near ready to understand it, or had the patience with who brought it. Very, very,
small thinking.

Hey Dustin, did you hear? No worry we have a taco place coming! If you know any other
food places please tell them about us!!! I know of about 6 built out locations that should
be on the market very soon.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dustin James

Postby Dustin James » Tue May 18, 2010 7:43 am

One of the things that came out of Savannah's report was using the Army Corp of Engineers which had to be included already could reduce the cost.

However this company would be very interesting to talk to.

The Peninsula was the most visionary project ever brought to Lakewood. The leaders were
no where near ready to understand it, or had the patience with who brought it. Very, very,
small thinking.

I agree, it was/is really visionary.
Well, Army Corp could probably do it too. We do the same thing (dredge-tubing) in Florida for reclaiming beaches from erosion. But on the peninsula "Wings" there would need to be a containment wall to pour the slurry into. This company cited above was involved with some huge human made islands. Some the size of the peninsula were completed in one year.

Hmm, on the fast food front, I think you must be being sarcastic :( Did the Quaker State thing fall through? It really looked like a quality match to the tone of that area of Detroit. Particularly caddy-corner to the Library revitalization.
Hey I like Tacos. Used to have to go out to North Olmstead or something back in the day to get good ones. I think there was a favorite Karen Carpenter song that always played there, which really added texture to the whole experience of taco eating.

We've only just begun..... to eat....
Shredded cheese and mystery meat....
A squirt of sauce and we're on our way.....

quakerstate-sml.jpg
quakerstate-sml.jpg (45.39 KiB) Viewed 36292 times

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed May 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Dustin

It would be nice, and I have to think we could use lake bed as well, as the rivers run to the
lake.

Yes a wall would have to be built. This is my Savannah chose the piece of property she did,
the least amount of depth. She had look at many different places but notice shallow water
there and also farther out where the wind farm was.

It will be interesting two different groups are looking into Lakewood's Future. One is the
same group that got us here. The other, well one might call them future wise, and
community smart.

Last I heard Quaker State and Lube is still coming. Seems Around the Corner and Screamin
Rooster were selling too many wings so we looked for a chain to take some of their business.
The good news is we have 5 restaurants coming to Lakewood. This will work out good as I
know of about 4 that are ready to close from downturn in business.

Not to sound like Shawn Juris but a pants store would look pretty good right now. Well
certainly to restaurant owners in Lakewood!

peace

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Donald Farris

Postby Donald Farris » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:48 am

Hi,
The President's new jobs plan to be fully revealed next week, could be another chance for Lakewood to get a big jobs project. He says he wants 'Innovative Infrastructure Ideas'. Building the Peninsula with a green energy tie-in would fit the bill for Lakewood. Could Lakewood get a big chunk of Federal funds to finance the Peninsula? I don't know. But one thing is certain, if they don't ask they definitely will not get it. While Texas hollers all the time about their independence, they also ask and receive a great deal of Federal funds. Those Federal funds being spent in Texas creates a lot of jobs. It is time Lakewood asks. Instead of giving Lakewood Park over to the State, ask for funds to build the Peninsula.

Mankind must put an end to war or
war will put an end to mankind.
--John F. Kennedy

Stability and peace in our land will not come from the barrel of a gun, because peace without justice is an impossibility.
--Desmond Tutu

Return to “Urban Dynamics”