What is Effect on Western Cleveland of Summers Snubbing "Those People"

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Brian Essi

What is Effect on Western Cleveland of Summers Snubbing "Those People"

Postby Brian Essi » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:49 am

On April 8, 2015, Mayor Summers told me "I am not concerned about those people who come across 117th Street" to get their health care in Lakewood.

He said words in response to my concern about the underserved when I pointed out that his plan of taking $120M in hospital assets and reducing them to less than a $30M foundation that people were already lining up to fight over for other causes. I told him that the loss of $7M in annual charity services provided by Lakewood Hospital could never be replaced by such a small foundation.
With his latest plan he got passed by Council December 21, 2015, the foundation is now only worth about $16.5M.

To be fair, Summers added "I'm only concerned about the citizens of Lakewood."

So what effect will this type of thinking by our Mayor have upon urban dynamics among Lakewood and surrounding cities and communities.

What will become of the needs of "those people" that previously were helped by Lakewood Hospital that Summers is indifferent to?

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
kate e parker

Re: What is Effect on Western Cleveland of Summers Snubbing "Those People"

Postby kate e parker » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:46 pm

ok. I'll bite.

if by "those people" you mean Clevelanders than I see no problem. summers is the mayor of Lakewood not the mayor of everywhere.

but I suspect you didn't mean "those people" in that way.

your racism is showing.

again.

kate e parker

Postby kate e parker » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:00 pm

so, essi, you see a section on the deck with the word "urban" in it and you decide to bring up "those people" here? you equate "urban" with "those people" do you? of course you do. most racists do.

just so you know, I refer to you and the super-white SLH crew as "those people".

Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:24 pm

Kate,

I said and meant nothing about race.

Lakewood is consider a suburb of Cleveland.

Cleveland is urban Lakewood suburban.

The underserved are under served. Their race is not the issue-their needs are.

The needs of some folks in Western Cleveland were previously met by the hospital, but no longer.

My question was what would be the effect on the dynamics?

Do you have an opinion on that?

It would seem from your response that you believe race is a factor as between those in need in Lakewood and those in nearby western Cleveland.

If so how does that change the dynamic?

kate e parker

Postby kate e parker » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:00 pm

well, since you used "those people" as your example then the burden is on you to explain what that means.

it wasn't me that posted in urban dynamics citing "those people". it was you.

some folks in western Cleveland were served by st. john's. so, when that hospital that you didn't save closed somehow that became Lakewood's problem? do you even know anyone from east of 117th? I doubt it.

please quit acting like geography and not health insurance dictates who goes where. and stop bringing "those people" into it.

this is gonna sound redundant, but your desperation shows almost as much as your racism.

what's next? gaycism?

I wouldn't be surprised.

Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:55 am

It was Summers who used the term "those people"

Geography is one factor, otherwise we would go to University Circle more than Fairview.

An actually, I do know folks in that area--and I lived there for 5 years myself.

Chill. No need to be so hostile.

james fitzgibbons

Postby james fitzgibbons » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:02 pm

kate e parker wrote:well, since you used "those people" as your example then the burden is on you to explain what that means.

it wasn't me that posted in urban dynamics citing "those people". it was you.

some folks in western Cleveland were served by st. john's. so, when that hospital that you didn't save closed somehow that became Lakewood's problem? do you even know anyone from east of 117th? I doubt it.

please quit acting like geography and not health insurance dictates who goes where. and stop bringing "those people" into it.

this is gonna sound redundant, but your desperation shows almost as much as your racism.

what's next? gaycism?

I wouldn't be surprised.

Wow Kate reading your post make me think you hold some kind of prejudice! You were reading way too much into Brian Essi's statement. He is obviously concerned about the under served people, why do you think we worked so hard to call a referendum.
Who does mayor summers care about?

Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:23 pm

Summers and all his friends, council, CCF, Budish, FitzGerald and the Ceveland Foundation appear to care about one thing:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Return to “Urban Dynamics”