LAKEWOOD as a retirement haven

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Alex Belisle

LAKEWOOD as a retirement haven

Postby Alex Belisle » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:44 am

As a recent emigre from NYC, I can attest that this is a great place to retire especially if one has lived in any of the major cities in the Northeast e.g. NYC, Boston, Washington DC et al. Not only is the cost of living nearly 50% lower but the amenities in lace here are hard to beat.

For example, I can walk a block to catch a bus and pay only $1! Back in NYC, it was in the range of $2.50 - $5.50. Downtown Cleveland is easy to get to, small enough to cover in a day and is a city with all kinds of growth potential.

Lakewood need better self publicity. When my NYC friends see and hear what I have to say about my new home, they are quite impressed (some are jealous in actuality, LOL) My Victorian house would sell for close to $3 million in NYC, here I was able to buy it for less than 1/10 of that price. Even the co-pays for drugs are ridiculous. Imagine paying $.68 as a copay! I thought they made a mistake and it was $6.80.

When a retiree takes Northeast money here, they can live in both comfort and safety. Lakewood needs to "rep" itself better.

"The desire to win is meaningless without the discipline to prepare."
Heidi Hilty

Re: LAKEWOOD as a retirement haven

Postby Heidi Hilty » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:09 am

If there was ever a reason for a "LIKE" button on the deck, this post is surely it!

"from the moment we open our eyes,
there is beauty to behold."
cameron karslake

Postby cameron karslake » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:10 am

Hey Alex,
I have felt very much the same when I moved here over 20 years ago from Chicago. It really was an exercise in heaven and hell.

This region has so much going for it, I feel that is why people tend to get so involved in city affairs and promote the town whenever they can. The more people talk about their experiences living in other towns, it reinforces how special Lakewood is in the scheme of things. It is getting harder and harder to keep Lakewood a unique and special town.

Thanks for your involvement in spreading the word!

james fitzgibbons

Postby james fitzgibbons » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:18 pm

cameron karslake wrote:Hey Alex,
I have felt very much the same when I moved here over 20 years ago from Chicago. It really was an exercise in heaven and hell.

This region has so much going for it, I feel that is why people tend to get so involved in city affairs and promote the town whenever they can. The more people talk about their experiences living in other towns, it reinforces how special Lakewood is in the scheme of things. It is getting harder and harder to keep Lakewood a unique and special town.

Thanks for your involvement in spreading the word!

Is Lakewood still a retirement haven now that our hospital is gone?

Return to “Urban Dynamics”