Shop Local, Lower Property Taxes

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Will Brown

Re: Shop Local, Lower Property Taxes

Postby Will Brown » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:47 am

I would like to see some numbers.

If I were to get a 20% credit on a $100 dollar purchase, the city would be out $20; I doubt the city makes $20 taxing the merchant on a $100 purchase, so it looks expensive to the city.

Also, only a small fraction of our property taxes goes to the city, so it seems I could only get credit up to the amount of tax income going to the city. i.e., the city could not give away tax revenue that goes to the schools, the county, etc.

So without some numbers showing otherwise, it seems like an expensive program of limited benefit. But then, that could be said of almost any government program.

Society in every state is a blessing, but the Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil...
Peter Grossetti

Re: Shop Local, Lower Property Taxes

Postby Peter Grossetti » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 am

Just wondering how a program that relies heavily on property owners participating would fare in a city like Lakewood with such a high numbers of renters ... not to mention all the absentee landlords who do not live (nor shop) in Our City.

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers

Return to “Urban Dynamics”