Fitzgerald in Violation of Election Laws

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Mary Breiner

Postby Mary Breiner » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:42 pm

Sorry, I just noticed it wasn't DL that posted the new link, it was Grace O'Malley. Anyway, it IS news this evening. (Sorry DL)

Mary

David Scott

Postby David Scott » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:45 pm

c'mon David don't be naive - it is clear by the tone of prior comments that if the results went the other way the LO City Hall reporter would of kept quiet. This isn't the first time he crossed the line and I am merely asking if this is a journalistic endeveour then is there an editorial board keeping columnists in check. I would not expect a PD or Sun News political reporter from coming out so far for a candidate - the opion writers yes - news gathers no

If he was trying to make a journalistic information posting, then he would of tried to get both sides of the story - by only quoting George and Seelie it is slanted, not something a real journalist would do.

I read, paper copies, of approx 10 newspapers a week. I am very aware of journalism vs. opinion. In my view, the LO has a large problem with mixing the line. Ken Warren did a large gushing piece on a member of the Lakewood Library Board (his employer) and never disclosed that fact - that wouldn't fly in regular news. Stan Austin has continued to cross the line on his "reporting" of the elction and I see nothing wrong with calling him out - the LO should have someone else cover the issues and he should give opinions, that's how the regular newspapers do it. And don't give me the volunteer story, if its volunteers then its not a real paper. I don't think you get it both ways

If the LO wants to be taken seriously then there has to be some journalistic integrity.

what happens to a dream deferred .......

maybe it just sags like a heavy load
or does it explode ?
- Langston Hughes
Mary Breiner

Postby Mary Breiner » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:47 pm

To answer Bill's question, I don't know what the repercussions are. Does anyone else know? I think there are some fines involved but I don't know if this can keep someone from being elected and taking office or not.

Bryan Schwegler

Re: Fitzgerald in Violation of Election Laws

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:48 pm

Mary Breiner wrote:To answer Bill's question, I don't know what the repercussions are. Does anyone else know? I think there are some fines involved but I don't know if this can keep someone from being elected and taking office or not.

Just fines, it won't change the election.

Mary Breiner

Postby Mary Breiner » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:50 pm

I guess we will find out tomorrow evening, won't we?
Don't forget to VOTE tomorrow everyone.

Mary Breiner

Bill Varkonyi

Re: Fitzgerald in Violation of Election Laws

Postby Bill Varkonyi » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:51 pm

Mary Breiner wrote:To answer Bill's question, I don't know what the repercussions are. Does anyone else know? I think there are some fines involved but I don't know if this can keep someone from being elected and taking office or not.

Thank you Mary, and Bryan

"This damned mold keeps destroying my cultures." ~ Louis Pasteur
Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:54 pm

How can it NOT change the election?

If a candidate LIED about his opponent, would not that be of concern?

If he could LIE about one thing, what's to stop him from lying about other, more important issues?

You know the old saying, Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me.

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:55 pm

Grace O'Malley wrote:How can it NOT change the election?

If a candidate LIED about his opponent, would not that be of concern?

If he could LIE about one thing, what's to stop him from lying about other, more important issues?

You know the old saying, Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me.

I still think the facts that Fitzgerald gave are accurate, irrelevant of what the OEC says. It all comes down to how you care to interpret the facts.

Remember also, Mayor George's violations haven't been ruled on yet. If he's found guilty, will you be as quick to condemn him? Will you post that press release 3 or 4 times on the Deck?

I still plan to vote for Fitz, I'm still predicting a landslide victory for Fitz. We'll find out tomorrow night I guess.

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:01 pm

Brian

I did not post the release more than one time on the deck.

You must think distorting the facts are OK as you do it yourself.

The OEC examined the facts and made a ruling.

You are making a choice to ignore the facts. Good luck to you. :roll:

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:02 pm

Grace O'Malley wrote:Brian

I did not post the release more than one time on the deck.

You must think distorting the facts are OK as you do it yourself.

The OEC examined the facts and made a ruling.

You are making a choice to ignore the facts. Good luck to you. :roll:

No, you are the third person to post this exact same thing. Hence, it's been posted 3 times on the Deck.

Sorry, I'm not going to play your childish games.

BTW, it's Bryan not Brian and you didn't answer my question...if George is also found guilty will you call him a LIAR and say what a horrible person he'd be to vote for?
Last edited by Bryan Schwegler on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:05 pm

Bryan-

I did not receive a press release from the FitzGerald campaign.

I also can't control how many people will post a press release. Since two other people posted the release, I took my post down - it's my post - no need for overkill.

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:07 pm

dl meckes wrote:Bryan-

I did not receive a press release from the FitzGerald campaign.

I also can't control how many people will post a press release. Since two other people posted the release, I took my post down - it's my post - no need for overkill.

No, but you can combine threads that are the exact same topic. I'm an admin at a forum for Macs with over 19,000 members. We do it all the time.

I see nothing wrong with posting it, it needs to be discussed. However I think it could be kept to one thread instead of multiple threads on the same exact thing. Just my opinion, I just think it keeps things a little easier to navigate and keeps the discussion in one place.

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:17 pm

I'm working on it...

Return to “2007 Lakewood Mayoral Election”