Fitzgerald in Violation of Election Laws

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Bryan Schwegler

Re: Fitzgerald in Violation of Election Laws

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:57 am

Mary Breiner wrote:Bryan quote
"Remember also, Mayor George's violations haven't been ruled on yet. If he's found guilty, will you be as quick to condemn him? " unquote

I believe there were never charges filed against Tom George. I also believe that Ed Fitzgerald TOLD the Sun Post that he had also filed charges, but he really had not. Is this an untruth?

Correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe there are charges against Tom George.

Actually yes, charges were filed. And yes, as Kevin Butler posted earlier yesterday, probable cause was found for forward the George violations to full hearing.
Last edited by Bryan Schwegler on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:02 am

Kate McCarthy wrote:I think Bryan was referring to this being posted more than once. I don't think he said it was posted by the same person several times.

And I don't recall an instance when Bryan has distorted facts. I disagree with Mr. Schwegler at times, but always feel he is very honest, and doesn't manipulate facts.

Thank you Kate. I know people may not always agree with me, heck, I don't even agree with myself all the time :), but one thing I will not do is make up facts or distort the truth purposely. Can I be wrong? Sure, everyone can make mistakes but my integrity is extremely important to me.

In the end to be honest, I just want what's best for Lakewood, I think we all do.

I will fully support whoever the next Mayor is after tonight. Sure I'm voting for Fitz, but if George wins, I view it as job #1 to wish him the best of luck and do what I can to help him succeed. This election has been horrible on all sides, the mudslinging and "questionable" facts from both candidates is worse than any other mayoral election I can remember. After the election, it's time for Lakewood to start healing.

Bring on the party!

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:09 am

Bryan Schwegler wrote:This election has been horrible on all sides, the mudslinging and "questionable" facts from both candidates is worse than any other mayoral election I can remember. After the election, it's time for Lakewood to start healing.

Bring on the party!

Agreed. It's party time!

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
Bill Call

g

Postby Bill Call » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:51 am

Brian Pedaci wrote:The Mayor's income tax increase was a lie? Then why did Moody's put this into their report in May 2007?

The findings make no sense to me and will have no affect on how I vote.

So now it is a crime to say the Mayor wants an income tax increase? The Mayor spent the better part of a year campaigning for a tax increase and now we are told that it never happened.

Now its a crime to say that crime is increasing? I guess under the novel theory that no crime has been committed until someone has been convicted that might be true. Does that mean there were no murders in Lakewood this year?

Rick Uldricks

Postby Rick Uldricks » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:03 am

deleted
Last edited by Rick Uldricks on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:21 am

Rick Uldricks wrote:
Bryan Schwegler wrote:Remember also, Mayor George's violations haven't been ruled on yet. If he's found guilty, will you be as quick to condemn him? Will you post that press release 3 or 4 times on the Deck?

Great question, Bryan.

What is the answer?

Rick/Bryan

I thought I saw the release earlier, posted by Kevin Butler. That Mayor Tom George was guilty of one count. I thought Tom's hearing was in the morning as Ed had filed first with the Election Board. Ed's was in the afternoon.

I could be wrong and did not see it just now. It was the response where I brought up Jose Ferre.

As for over posting, this is our city not a game. Last week four people posted about the new gym. Did not see the protests over Netiquette at that time. I went back and deleted my post which had been first.

I also believe we all have to be vigilant on the Deck and try to keep threads together.

Bill

I would expect no less.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 am

First, "guilty" is a word for criminal cases, not for campaign violations. You may be found to be in violation, but it is incorrect to assign the word "guilty".

Second, Kevin Butler did post to say that Tom George had a complaint filed against his campaign but if there has been a determination hearing, I haven't heard about it.

Here is a quote from Kevin Butler,

I haven't seen FitzGerald's complaint, but I think the remainder of it had to do with the mayor representing that Ed's campaign had been "convicted" of wrongdoing by the Elections Commission when, in fact, it hadn't. (I believe the commission found probable cause on that claim today too.)

As far as I know, the FitzGerald campaign has not sent out a press release about claims filed on their behalf. We can't post what we don't have.

Anyone from the FitzGerald campaign could have posted their press release.

There were multiple posts of the George press release because a number of people received it at the same time and thought it contained important information. The same thing could have happened had there been a press release sent to a number of people from the FitzGerald campaign.

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:26 am

I still would say, regardless of the thread topic, if I saw multiple threads started for the exact same topic in a short period of time, I would have asked to combine them.

If this happened with the gym posts, I didn't notice it or would have mentioned it. :)

Being a forum admin myself, it's just one of my anal qualities. :)

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:34 am

dl meckes wrote:Second, Kevin Butler did post to say that Tom George had a complaint filed against his campaign but if there has been a determination hearing, I haven't heard about it.

dl, allow me to also quote Kevin:

Today I received the news from Columbus that the Ohio Elections Commission found probable cause to pursue a complaint against Mayor George's campaign for disseminating the false claim that Councilman FitzGerald voted against the police department’s ammunition needs, among other alleged falsehoods.

My question was specifically to Grace on this, where if the George is found to have been in violation by the OEC will she also come here and call him a LIAR? I somehow doubt the vitriol will be equally given. ;)

Just to clarify to you dl and Jim and the rest of the Observers, I'm not claiming you are being partisan because of a lack of FitzGerald releases, etc. It's not your jobs, if someone has them, they can post them on the Deck themselves. These releases were shared by other members not officially by the LO. Unlike what some others have implied here, I think you're doing fine. :)

My questioning mainly is directed at Sharon and Grace.

My anal retentive organizational suggestions not withstanding. :)

Kevin Butler

Postby Kevin Butler » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:38 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:I thought I saw the release earlier, posted by Kevin Butler. That Mayor Tom George was guilty of one count.

I posted yesterday that the Elections Commission determined there was probable cause to support FitzGerald's claim that the mayor deliberately misled voters into believing Ed didn't support funding for ammunition.

This is not a determination of liability or "guilt." The hearing hasn't yet been set on that claim.

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:18 pm

Wow - Bryan - You drive a hard bargain.

Finding against Fitzgerald 6 out of 7.

Findings agains George - No hearing as of now.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:22 pm

sharon kinsella wrote:Wow - Bryan - You drive a hard bargain.

Finding against Fitzgerald 6 out of 7.

Findings agains George - No hearing as of now.

Doesn't answer my question Sharon. Read it again slowly. ;)
Allow me to quote it for you here to make it easy:

If George is found to have been in violation by the OEC will you also come here and call him a LIAR?

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:29 pm

If it's a lie maybe - or maybe I'll be like you and proclaim that I don't care (I did see your post about Ed).

And the last time I took orders from a man he was my father and I was five.

Got it?

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
Colleen Wing

Postby Colleen Wing » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:35 pm

Okay, let's get one thing straight...It isn't partisan because no matter how many mail pieces Ed FitzGerald sends out to Republicans pretending to be in anyway helpful, he is a Democrat, a "The Reason why we have living wage in Lakewood" Democrat" and the last time I checked the Mayor is a Democrat too.

This is a non-partisan election, if people want to support someone- Do It! But don't be a freaking LaBron James- Yankee Hat Wearing Sidelining Sitting Fan. This city deserves better, and I damn well hope we get it no matter what happens tonight.

I can't wait until tomorrow when we can resume our regular routine of bashing the President and belittling Republicans across the nation...Thanks JOB for sprinkling in a little of that all along so I would not go through withdrawl :lol:

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:35 pm

sharon kinsella wrote:If it's a lie maybe - or maybe I'll be like you and proclaim that I don't care (I did see your post about Ed).

And the last time I took orders from a man he was my father and I was five.

Got it?

I don't think Ed lied, I don't feel bad about saying that.

I know the Mayor asked for a tax increase several times. I know court filings for crime are up. To people that live in Ward 3, crime is up in their areas and they're worried. Even the incomplete FBI stats show increases in some areas.

If the OEC wants to say it's illegal for someone to say the Mayor asked for a tax increase , when I know it's fact, then so be it. If George wants to continue to belittle those who feel crime is a problem, that's his choice.

Doesn't change the truth nor the opinions of those who feel strongly about their issues.

And there was no order in anything I said Sharon, no need to be so defensive. I was simply pointing out that you did not answer the question I asked.

Return to “2007 Lakewood Mayoral Election”