Fitzgerald in Violation of Election Laws

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:27 pm

David Scott

Have you ever read the Mission Statement. Have you ever been to a meeting? I am dying to find out where the words "real newspaper" or "journalism" ever appears in our mission statement. But why let FACTS get in the way of your reporting.http://lakewoodobserver.com/about/mission

Other Facts, each member of council was promised as much space as they needed to get their information out. This was after they voiced an opinion on Stan. This was agreed to and fair. Maybe three times this was used. I would like to point out they have all been guaranteed as much space as needed for talking about their ward, news, achievements of reisdents, etc. Ward news, Each council member took part at least once, and it drifted back to only Stan's reporting.

As far as the Observer, I would like to point you to the Mission Statement, and then go and thank every member that has written, submitted, and taken the time to help inform the rest of us. Your work is not only appreciated by me, but many other cities that see the Observer as the Gold Standard for civic journalism.

David, check out the mission statement, call me let's do lunch, maybe we can speak again this year at the Lakewood Home Show.

Jim

Oh by the way we have better facts on news stories than any of the other media in town. Not that it matters, I mean read the Mission Statement.

Also thanks for taking part, your voice is just as important as mine.

peace

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
David Scott

Postby David Scott » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:27 pm

The press release begins 'paid for by friends of Tom George' That is not a press release, that is a campaing mailing - if Mr Austin wants to be taken seriously as a journalist then he should then write and article showing both sides of the issue and the potential repercussions - if he wants to show his opinion then post a press release from one camp. I just don't think he can be an objective reporter on city hall news when he has pushed so fare for one candidate. It is nothing personal - when Kevin O'Brian writes an article for the PD I know in advance where he is coming from. When I read Bob Novak or Maureen O'Dowd I know what to expect. They don't try to write news articles because everyone knows they can't be objective. Whatever the results of the election I know when I read anything by Mr Ausitn, he is not objective

what happens to a dream deferred .......

maybe it just sags like a heavy load
or does it explode ?
- Langston Hughes
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:33 pm

David Scott wrote:When I read Bob Novak or Maureen O'Dowd I know what to expect. They don't try to write news articles because everyone knows they can't be objective. Whatever the results of the election I know when I read anything by Mr Ausitn, he is not objective

Bob Novak, shill for the president!

Maureen Dowd, not O'Dowd, liberal shill for books!

Stan Austin, friend of the mayor!

They all have slants. Just like every reporter in the world. I prefer to see much of this paper like movie reviewers, and it seem to work for many. Learn their slant, and use it for a scale on what is written.

Again, please join the cast of reporters.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

David Scott

Postby David Scott » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:34 pm

Mr O'Bryan

my apologies. I though it was real journalism. When in the past I stated that it wasn't, but more of a blog where people post opinions - I was told no this was citizens journalism. If it is not journalism then why call it citizens journalism

My only comment is letting a supporter of one candidate be a a "reporter" You can say all you want about we opened it up to other candidates to comment on Mr Austin's reports, but that is shallow. It just opens them up to the charge of negativism. You can open it up all you want to other politicians, but don't you see that when you have the reporter covering city hall then post opinions his opinions count more then others ? He has the credibiity or the responsiblity of being independent as a reporter. And all I am saying is that he has violated this responsibility. Any journalism student can see this. If I were on the board I would relieve him or reporting on political matters. I would rather see nothing, then bias

When Connie Shultz's husband ran for US Senate, she didn't just open her column up to opposing views. She stopped writing - a column that was obviously opion. She did no inteviews, made no comments publically execpt her support at campaing rallys. All I am saying is that is journalistic integrity.

Now you are saying you don't need this because your mission statement doesn't mention it when all along ingretity has been one of the mantras. I just don't get it .

or does it explode ?

- Langston Hughes
Mary Breiner

Fitzgerald in Violation of Election Laws

Postby Mary Breiner » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:38 pm

Bryan quote
"Remember also, Mayor George's violations haven't been ruled on yet. If he's found guilty, will you be as quick to condemn him? " unquote

I believe there were never charges filed against Tom George. I also believe that Ed Fitzgerald TOLD the Sun Post that he had also filed charges, but he really had not. Is this an untruth?

Correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe there are charges against Tom George.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:46 pm

David

You might want to go read about Civic Journalism, as we coined the phrase 4 years ago in print. This would be different from bloggers (Read our published work on Jihad On The Other Guys) notes from our presentation to this year's DeFrag Conference for Software engineers, bloggers and web media folks.

You see we ask that residents join in using their real names, which brings with it real responsibility. To take ownership of their words, and to allows those ideas to be vetted. Lauren Rich, #1 Media analyst the last ten years for Merrill Lynch would refer to this as "self centering" and the lifeblood of the "new citizen journalism." The Lakewood Observer is ten years ahead of its time. You might have noticed she is now on our advisory board.

The art of civic collaboration, again LO one of the pioneers, is the same thing that powers Wikipedia, You Tube, and other new medias.

But it matters not as an easier example is if I sent a reporter to report on your Electrical Business. I'll bet he could talk to you for days, and not know what you know about it. I am willing to bet, than he would miss half the points you thought were important. Allow so much time and turn it in. Now if I can convince you to write with proper editors, we get a better story, a more passionate story, probably a better story. Except for one little trade-off, your perception and slant, as opposed the the writer that just got ripped off by another electrical guy and now hates electricians.

PLEASE

Let's be real. The REAL Journalist fed us lies on Iraq, Afghanistan, Oil, Bush, and a million other things. You always struck me as a smart person, not a naive person. But what do you think about Iraq :wink:

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Kate McCarthy

Postby Kate McCarthy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:46 pm

Grace O'Malley wrote:Brian

I did not post the release more than one time on the deck.

You must think distorting the facts are OK as you do it yourself.

The OEC examined the facts and made a ruling.

You are making a choice to ignore the facts. Good luck to you. :roll:

I think Bryan was referring to this being posted more than once. I don't think he said it was posted by the same person several times.

And I don't recall an instance when Bryan has distorted facts. I disagree with Mr. Schwegler at times, but always feel he is very honest, and doesn't manipulate facts.

David Scott

Postby David Scott » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:04 pm

Mr O'Bryan

missed the whole concept completely- when Bob Novak, Kevin O'Brien, Maureen O'Dowd or Connie Schult write, they write opinion columns. When Mr Austin writes he writes factual news stories. He has the responsibity to not mix the two. It is very simple

And no, you aren't journalists - Wikipedia is much bigger then you - stop the references of support to those who don't even know you exist. I can say Colin Powell supports my opinions, and it means nothing.

And my only question that has yet to be answered is -- is there an editorial board for this citizen jouralism that supports ethical standards and preludes a featured reporter from taking a partisian position from one candidate, or is this just a bunch of people writing their opinion in print and interntet. Your mission statement never speaks to citizen journalism, though countless times it has been brought up, so I am confused.

or does it explode ?

- Langston Hughes
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:19 pm

David Scott wrote:Mr O'Bryan

missed the whole concept completely- when Bob Novak, Kevin O'Brien, Maureen O'Dowd or Connie Schult write, they write opinion columns. When Mr Austin writes he writes factual news stories. He has the responsibity to not mix the two. It is very simple

And no, you aren't journalists - Wikipedia is much bigger then you - stop the references of support to those who don't even know you exist. I can say Colin Powell supports my opinions, and it means nothing.

And my only question that has yet to be answered is -- is there an editorial board for this citizen jouralism that supports ethical standards and preludes a featured reporter from taking a partisian position from one candidate, or is this just a bunch of people writing their opinion in print and interntet. Your mission statement never speaks to citizen journalism, though countless times it has been brought up, so I am confused.

David

I never said Wikipedia supports us, they use collaboration, and self centering journalism. Please read what I write.

The answer is yes, there is an editorial board. Again when have you been to a meeting or even inquired about this project? Oh 11/5/07 at 11:11. Stop by the office, stop by a meeting.

You brought up Citizen Journalism, not me, I responded. when we started using citizen journalism, the rest of the world was talking "open source journalism." the editorial board and advisory board found that term and form of journalism to be crap, and not worth pursuing. Blogging basically is a worthless effort. Again please read "Jihad on the other guy" We coined the term "civic journalism" to me that would mean "civic journalism" is exactly what the Observer is doing. Doesn't that make sense to you?

So you realize the media lied to you about Bush and Iraq? Didn't see your post calling out those guys.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

chris richards

Postby chris richards » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:20 pm

David Scott wrote:Mr O'Bryan

Ok, I too am going to hop on this again.

Jim O'bryan wrote:Have you ever read the Mission Statement. Have you ever been to a meeting? I am dying to find out where the words "real newspaper" or "journalism" ever appears in our mission statement.

Perception is everything. Just because it is not in the mission statement does not mean people will automatically think, "oh, this must certainly not be journalism..." Right there on the top of the front page you have pasted "Official Google News Source." To the common person, and one not familiar with Google news sources, does that not imply that this is a journalistic newspaper?

Unless you can verify otherwise, Google news is just an aggregator. Any blog or newspaper can submit their feed to Google for readers to find once Google approves it.

Ok, back to the topic at hand...

stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:24 pm

David Scott wrote:Is there a violation of journalistic standards with the reporter that covers City Hall makes such blatant partisian comments ?

It’s a press release.

David Scott wrote: I think all future coverage of the City by this reporter is now tainted…

Stan’s stuff has always been tainted. Why don’t you step up and cover council meetings, just to provide balance.

David Scott wrote: I would not expect a PD or Sun News political reporter from coming out so far for a candidate - the opion writers yes - news gathers no.

Those papers actually endorse candidates, and you have to pay for them

David Scott wrote: If he was trying to make a journalistic information posting, then he would of tried to get both sides of the story - by only quoting George and Seelie it is slanted, not something a real journalist would do.

Read it. IT’S A PRESS RELEASE FROM FRIENDS OF TOM GEORGE!

David Scott wrote:I read, paper copies, of approx 10 newspapers a week. I am very aware of journalism vs. opinion. In my view, the LO has a large problem with mixing the line.

Yes. The Observer even allows candidates to write their own stories. Can’t be more fair than that.

David Scott wrote: Stan Austin has continued to cross the line on his "reporting" of the elction and I see nothing wrong with calling him out - the LO should have someone else cover the issues and he should give opinions, that's how the regular newspapers do it.

The Lakewood Observer is many things to many people. It is certainly not a “regularâ€Â

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
Ivor Karabatkovic

Postby Ivor Karabatkovic » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:42 pm

as the dancing homeless guy on W.25th would say,

the Davis monster has been awakened!

dun dun dunnnnn.

Did Ed file charges against Tom or no? I've heard and read that yes, he has filed. It could be a rumor.

HEY! it's 20 minutes until November 6th.

why don't we all just tuck ourselves into bed, get some sleep, and wait and see who wins tomorrow. Before you know it, half of the children in Lakewood will have nightmares over Elections violations.

And yes, Bryan meant that the release was posted three times, when one gets the point across. ( :lol: )

I don't think anyone is going to change their vote at 11:45 on November 5th so I suggest we all focus on more important things like the LO party!

FIESTAAAAAAAAAA!

Brian Pedaci

Postby Brian Pedaci » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:32 am

Ya know, not one of the disputed statements made by FitzGerald were the ones that convinced me to vote for him in the first place, so these 12th-hour revelations will not change my vote.

Seriously, is this a campaign slogan- "Don't Vote For FitzGerald, He Didn't Put the Required Disclaimers On His Campaign Material?"

The Mayor's income tax increase was a lie? Then why did Moody's put this into their report in May 2007?
The city presently levies a 1.5% income tax, with a 0.5% credit for resident taxes paid to other Ohio communities. The city plans to seek voter approval to increase the tax rate to 2% while also increasing the resident credit to 1%, which would effectively increase the income tax rate upon non-resident workers and residents that work within the city, while keeping the rate flat for residents that work outside the city. The increase is expected to generate an additional $2.5 million in revenues annually, which will support the city's goal of rebuilding cash reserves to $3 million or more within the next five years.

I'm a resident who works in the city. If it's not the Mayor who's seeking voter approval to raise my local income taxes by 33%, then who? How did Moody's get the impression that a tax increase would be brought to ballot?

Sorry for the repeat of information that we've hashed over in these forums over and over again, but that one left me rather amazed.

I'd be curious to see a poll showing whether or not the Mayor's advertising helped or hurt his cause in the long run.

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:55 am

dl meckes wrote:I'm working on it...

Thanks dl... :)

Return to “2007 Lakewood Mayoral Election”