Vote Geiger, Beebe, and Markling for Lakewood School Board

Moderator: Jim DeVito

stephen davis

Vote Geiger, Beebe, and Markling for Lakewood School Board

Postby stephen davis » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:26 am

Just wanted to put a plug in for veteran Lakewood School Board members Chas Geiger and Linda Beebe, and for "new guy" Matt Markling.

There.

So much for my secret ballot.

Vote Tuesday!

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
Stephen Eisel

Postby Stephen Eisel » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:20 pm

Stephen, I am going to put my faith and you and vote for these fine people. I have to admit that I was completely clueless on this subject. I am very impressed with the Lakewood School system. I think that system is moving in the right direction (this is from an untrained eye). My wife has been a teacher for over 18 years in another school system. She and I have been really impressed with Hayes.

Bill Grulich

Postby Bill Grulich » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:52 pm

They have my vote too!

8)

David Scott

Postby David Scott » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:58 pm

I actually did not vote for Geiger or Beebee and only voted for two because I am tired of the status quo and want a change. The same ol' same ol' just doesn't seem to be working. I have nothing against those two - I just want some new blood

what happens to a dream deferred .......

maybe it just sags like a heavy load
or does it explode ?
- Langston Hughes
stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:03 pm

David Scott wrote:I actually did not vote for Geiger or Beebee and only voted for two because I am tired of the status quo and want a change.

Another educated voter.

Bobbie Hendrick

Postby Bobbie Hendrick » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:21 pm

David,

What's wrong with the status quo, and what kind of change do you want?

Granted, we always want to strive for improvement, but I think our schools have been doing that. Given the diversity in Lakewood and the challenges our district faces, our system has done an awesome job meeting those challenges and adapting to our changing realities. I was interested to hear on WCPN that in Cleveland Heights, a district that is comparable to ours in many respects, most families who can send their children to private schools. We have a school system that most respect and use. My two children got an excellent education here, and I am proud that they know people and have friends who are different from themselves.

stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:37 pm

Bobbie Hendrick wrote:...what kind of change do you want?

People get bored easily. They vote like they're flipping TV channels.

Dee Martinez

Postby Dee Martinez » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:04 pm

Remember that 4 years ago, Mrs Sweeney beat Mr Summers when he ran for a third term on BOE. Not only did Mrs Sweeney not reinvent the education wheel, she decided after one term that she didnt want the job. In the process the city and schools lost Mr Summers experience.

Not a criticism of Mrs Sweeney who am I told served capably. However it does point out the limited value of voting "change for change sake"

School boards are more like corporate boards than legislative bodies like city council. Individual members rarely introduce legislation if ever. They have to operate within state and federal paramteres that get more stringent every yr. Mostly the board hires a professional management team, approves budgets and other necessary items and decides when to put tax issues up for approval. Based on the nature of the job believe experience and an understanding of the issues count for more than an individual agenda.

Sometimes board members DO need to be replaced and turnover needs to occur but its not an environment where just changing the "status quo" will bring much in the way of results.

Bill Call

s

Postby Bill Call » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:32 am

Bobbie Hendrick wrote:I was interested to hear on WCPN that in Cleveland Heights, a district that is comparable to ours in many respects, most families who can send their children to private schools.

My guess would be that those who can afford to send their children to private schools are vehemently opposed to free choice when it comes to the others guys children.

Cleveland Heights spends $15,805 per pupil. Far more than Lakewood at $11,913 and Brunswick at $8,590. If money makes a difference why doesn't money make a difference?

Think about it. On per capita basis Cleveland Heights will spend $44 million dollars A YEAR more than Brunswick. And yet the Cleveland Heights district is now saying the reason the schools are failing is because they don't have enough money.

Imagine if Brunswick had an extra $176 million over the next 4 years and at the end of that period they announced that the miserable results were because they don't have enough money.

Don't feel too comfortable about Lakewood schools.

As the City becomes more like Cleveland Heights the schools will become more like Cleveland Heights schools. I can hear it now, yes we have an extra $44 million per year and yes the results have never been worse but it is all because we don't have enough money!

Dee Martinez

Re: s

Postby Dee Martinez » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:53 am

Bill Call wrote:If money makes a difference why doesn't money make a difference?

Think about it. On per capita basis Cleveland Heights will spend $44 million dollars A YEAR more than Brunswick. And yet the Cleveland Heights district is now saying the reason the schools are failing is because they don't have enough money.

Theres one element your missing though.
The voters APPROVED those taxes.
Obviously Cleve Hts voters dont see education as just another price-value proposition, like buying a toaster or vacum cleaner.

Charyn Compeau

Postby Charyn Compeau » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:15 am

What is the cost of transportation in that community? I think it is valuable to remember that Lakewood avoids a significant cost in that department so comparisons should be made using figures that do not include the cost of transportation for either community.

That would provide a more balanced view.

Charyn

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:17 am

Bill Call wrote:

As the City becomes more like Cleveland Heights the schools will become more like Cleveland Heights schools.

Bill,

Would you please explain what you mean by this? Specifically, what do you mean by "like Cleveland Heights?" How do you see Lakewood becoming "more like Cleveland Heights?"

Bret Callentine

Postby Bret Callentine » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:45 am

I can't speak for everyone, but we chose to pull our son out of private school so he could attend Lakewood City Schools.

I'm incredibly impressed with the renovation process that's taking place currently in this city. And I think that the full effect of our city's efforts won't be fully visible for another couple of years.

Will Brown

Lakewood school board

Postby Will Brown » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:34 pm

My wife and I, and each of our three children, graduated from Lakewood public schools, and I would have to say that the quality of education has, in many aspects, declined. I am not saying that it is an inferior school system, as indeed there are pockets of excellence, but I am saying that it is far from ideal, and I'm not convinced that Geiger and Beebe are as dedicated to excellence as one would hope. So while I appreciate their years of service, I think it may be time to add some new perspectives. Unfortunately, the races often don't seem to attract really good candidates, and most of us are in the dark about what the new candidates offer.

The only information I had about Markling was a press release published as an article in the Observer of October 30 under the byline of Michael Andreani. I don't know who Michael Andreani is, other that that she works at the Alumni Foundation in the high school, so I'm not willing to accept her judgment as to the candidate. I would hope that the Alumni Foundation is not in the business of making political endorsements, but in all honesty, the Alumni Foundation has appeared to be dormant for a couple of years, and could benefit from some executive talent which they apparently lack. I wonder what, if any, work Michael Andreani does at the Alumni Foundation office, beyond possibly writing political endorsements?

In any event, I hope Markling brings some revitalization to the school board, and I hope we can add to that in the future. As to the Alumni Foundation, I think I don't want to make further contributions without some assurance that they are benefiting the graduates, rather than a non-productive office staff. I'm not happy about not supporting the graduates, but there are plenty of other charities that can benefit from the money.

Return to “2007 Lakewood Mayoral Election”