ward 2

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Susan Hagan

ward 2

Postby Susan Hagan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:42 pm

I have to say that I am both amused and saddened by the campaign strategy of the new kid on the block, Bullock in the Ward 2 Council race. The sad part comes from his decision to adopt the fear-mongering tactics that is prevalent in the Republican party. Come on, who didn’t laugh when he suggested that we “Protect Lakewood borders?â€Â

Kenneth Warren

Postby Kenneth Warren » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:20 pm

Ms. Hagan:

You criticize Bullock for suggesting we “Protect Lakewood Borders,â€Â

Bill Call

Ward

Postby Bill Call » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:48 am

I want my councilman to have higher ambitions.

A man with ambition understands to achieve that ambition he will have to produce results, shake up the status quo, demand action. face reality, anger the bureaucracy, challenge the community and make a difference.

A man without higher ambition will just end up being some other politicians sock puppet.

Susan Hagan

Postby Susan Hagan » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:34 am

I agree. I am all for ambition. I didn't use the word ambition in my last post.

dl meckes

Re: Ward

Postby dl meckes » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:22 am

Bill Call wrote:I want my councilman to have higher ambitions.

A man with ambition understands to achieve that ambition he will have to produce results, shake up the status quo, demand action. face reality, anger the bureaucracy, challenge the community and make a difference.

A man without higher ambition will just end up being some other politicians sock puppet.

Sometimes ambition can lead to using a position as a stepping stone with no focus on the stone.

I don't think wanting to do a good job at a certain level at all equates with becoming a sock puppet.

Sometimes hunger for the next wonderful thing can lead to show-boating.

And I'm not referring to a particular candidate when I make these comments.

Shawn Juris

Postby Shawn Juris » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:35 am

This thread raises my interest in a couple of themes that seem to come and go here and anywhere I suppose. Certainly there is no right or wrong on this but I'm curious, what is the magic period of time that qualifies someone to run for city council or any elected position? I'm not putting words in your mouth Susan but if there is a shortage of qualified individuals willing to step forward and accept the responsibility of civic duty then what does it accomplish to discount someone because they are young, willing, and possess the characteristic of jumping in rather than waiting a lifetime to meet some arbitrary level of local seniority.
I don't pretend to know who is more qualified to do the job. It does seem very political (in the worse sense of the word) to indicate that he is not qualified for the reasons listed. Both of them seem to be spin and not address how Shields is more qualified than Bullock. I would assume that those that "asked for his healing" are those that indicated what his platform includes.
Either way I see these kinds of attacks on a candidate for stepping forward to be counterproductive. It doesn't appear that there is a surplus of willing and able leaders here or I'm sure in many other communities. Leave the smear for the national campaigns.

Susan Hagan

Postby Susan Hagan » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:46 am

Let me clarify my agreement on ambition. I was only agreeing that ambition is good-when used to put forth the greater good-not one's personal agenda.

But make no mistake-there is a difference between ambition and obsession.

ml did a great job at explaining it.

Susan Hagan

Postby Susan Hagan » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:16 am

Shawn,

Thanks for your words. You are correct that it would be difficult to determine when is the right time, or when is it enough time for one to step into the political arena. It is not so much about how long one is here, it is more about the motivation. Perhaps I should have been clearer in stressing that point.

Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:25 pm

This has arguably been the most civil of the campaigns this election season. The candidates have both been mature and professional. It's a shame someone has to start slinging mud.

"Ambition" is an ambiguous term with many connotations, and difficult to label outright as either a positive or a negative attribute. It's understandable that someone may aspire to go no further than, say, city council. Perhaps they feel they can do the most good there. The beauty of democracy is that they have to show results even to maintain a position, let alone climb to a new one.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

-Gandhi
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:45 pm

Brad Hutchison wrote:The beauty of democracy is that they have to show results even to maintain a position, let alone climb to a new one.

I wish that were true but have found that not to be so in every level of government.

Sometimes it's about name recognition or the slickness of the campaign. I do not believe Democracy equals a Meritocracy.

stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:09 pm

[quote="Kenneth Warren"] You criticize Bullock for suggesting we “Protect Lakewood Borders,â€Â

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
Shawn Juris

Postby Shawn Juris » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:35 pm

Stephen,
You're right after reading through the post again it was far more level headed than many that I've seen recently. I apologize for the implication Susan.

Ivor Karabatkovic

Postby Ivor Karabatkovic » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:43 pm

Steve,

see, you don't need my help with proof-reading your posts and letters to the editor.

I agree with everything you're saying about the council race.

Bullock represents a different point of view, a fresh new young face in Lakewood Politics. Shields is more traditional, knows the ropes in the city, and is arguably more experienced. There are people who want to vote for change, or something new, and there are those who still judge their candidates by experience, age, resume etc. Nothing wrong with either or.

The Mayor race: Whichever candidate looks best for you, vote for them. I, a 18 year old fresh out of LHS guy might love the city, and my neighbors who have two children might think it's time to buy three extra locks for the doors.

Speaking from a general perception of this year, people that are on the fence about their mayor cannot make up their minds if they want a young fresh face or a experienced candidate who has been there before. People generally do not vote for change, unless the candidate enters a bogus war like Bush and decides his/her fate themselves.

"Do I vote for change, maybe he's not ready, maybe he's not going to live up to his words."

"Do I vote for change because I do not like where my city is at and is going and the next four years will determine whether or not I live here or not"

"Do I vote for the experienced because he has done a good job and I like the way he leads our city"

"Do I vote for the experienced because if something works why change it."

I wish that more people were picky about who represents them and who they have to contact when they have a concern or idea. I find it reassuring that the fellow residents of Lakewood check up on all of our local candidates from the school board to council to the mayors office.

Different strokes for different folks..

Return to “2007 Lakewood Mayoral Election”