Another question - Fitzgerald - where are getting the money

Moderator: Jim DeVito

sharon kinsella

Another question - Fitzgerald - where are getting the money

Postby sharon kinsella » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:47 pm

I have looked at your financial statements and looked at your mailers.

Printing costs for a 10,000 piece four color, glossy mailer would be at least $10,000 if not more - those are very, very expensive pieces yet your financials have no indication of monies or in kind donation that would account for the costs of even one piece, let alone the postage.

In addition, four storefronts in the Hilliard theater building, most store fronts rent for at least $400.00 a month. As far as I have observed, you have had these storefronts for at least 4 months - 4 x 400 would be $1,600 not incuding utilities.

Who did you make promises to, why haven't you accounted for these expenses, even if they are in-kind donations?

What piece of Lakewood are you intending to sell out for these amenities?

Didn't you think anyone would notice?
Last edited by sharon kinsella on Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:19 pm

Have you noticed that he hasn't fallen all over himself to answer?

Ed being quiet? That's a first.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:57 pm

Ed -

One more unanswerable question - that little mailer that I received in the mail.

You know the one that is about 5" x 7" on card stock, glossy, four color with original artwork?

That would cost how much?

Not standard mailer amount I'm sure.

Anne Steiner

Postby Anne Steiner » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:18 pm

I just wanted to say that I find it really touching that you are so concerned about Ed's finances.

Ivor Karabatkovic

Postby Ivor Karabatkovic » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:27 pm

Sharon,

do numbers bounce around in your head when you're asleep?

I don't know if printing 10,000 flyers would cost $10,000. just my opinion.

Looks like we have a future finance director in the making. I'll keep you in mind when my friend graduates from college and takes city hall by storm as the next great thing.

I have to talk him out of becoming a parole officer and start aiming for something like mayor or council member first.

which will be in about.....4 years. :D

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:38 pm

Ivor -

Numbers do not bounce around in my head.

But I have a background as an organizer and I've had many things printed and participated in putting together things to print and getting price comparisons. Take one of those pieces to a printer. It would have to be a union printer because there is a bug on all the pieces. Get an estimate for typesetting, stock/glossy paper in four color, for 10,000 pieces and see how far off I am.

By the way, I am constantly in contact with numerous experienced people, so my guesstimates are checked with others before I put my name to them.

My round figures are a leavening of an estimated cost. There are over 10,000 registered voters in Lakewood. I know this beause I have worked with the records.

Actually Ivor, I have quite a varied background.

I have no need of another career. I am 57 years old.

Ivor Karabatkovic

Postby Ivor Karabatkovic » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:49 pm

it's always good to put pieces together.

the dumbest question to ask is one that you don't ask, and especially in an election year it's good to know who you're voting for or against.

I don't know if all 10,000 people received a pamphlet, I haven't received anything other than something from Mike Summers and Colleen Wing personally as they walked on my street to campaign.

Still, your "guesstimate" is pretty close, and good.

Have you met Bill Call? I heard he's pretty good with numbers too. :wink:

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:05 pm

Ivor -

Bill Call and I would be a hoot in the same room.

Two complete opposites. Too funny.

Ryan Salo

Postby Ryan Salo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:57 pm

FYI

I used www.jakprints.com when I ran and here is a link to an 11x17 folded in half brochure. The only other expense would be postage, which is discounted if it went through a mailing house.

http://www.jakprints.com/brochure-printing-one-fold/

Ryan Salo
sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:23 pm

Thanks Ryan -

I may be high balling - I could be wrong - but first of all.

This place is not a union printer. Secondly this size is off and would require non-standard settings or specialty cutting and I'm not sure which.

So let's low ball it -

Custom size w/union bug - $3,000
Printing 10,000 disparate addresses - 2,000
Printing first class postage certification - 800
Sort for post office - 1,200

Total - $7,000 Low ball - but still pretty pricey

Add in first class postage (don't remember what it is now)
so I'll say .38

.38 x 10,000 Total $3,800

Total for entire mailing would be about $10,800 - including postage.

Now - I'm not sure how many mailings he's done but it kind of boggles the mind at this point.

Let's say 10.

10 x $10,800 is $108,000

Hope he's showing some pretty hefty monetary or in kind donations on his financials.

Ivor Karabatkovic

Postby Ivor Karabatkovic » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:29 pm

maybe these were handed out into mailboxes around town?

regardless, you might be onto something!

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:23 pm

Ivor -

They came in the mail - I saw my mailman put it into my box. I live in an apartment building and you can't get into the mailbox without a special key. Each individual box has a unique lock.

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:36 pm

Sharon, where is your 10,000 figure coming from? Any way to substantiate it?

Maybe Mayor George loaned him some of the money that the developer interested in Kauffman park donated to the George campaign to help cover it? Or has he actually done the right thing and returned that money to avoid the appearance of impropriety? ;)

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:44 pm

Actually, that's the figure that Ed gave me in January when we were working together.

I sincerely think that people need to quit harping on the developer money. It's really not a big deal, developers always give money to incumbent candidates. It's not all that much in the scheme of things, heck Suzanne Metelko gave three times that amount to Ryan!

And don't miss the point of everything I'm saying, there are out and out lies on Ed's campaign materials so why should I believe his financials, especially when estimated out of pocket, even before the last financials were filed exceed what was reported? Why wouldn't I question it.

Not that it's doing a lot of good. I don't see him answering me even though I have seen him lurking on the board.

Bryan - Question what you hear - believe what you can find out on your own and question the differences.

Return to “2007 Lakewood Mayoral Election”