Markling for School Board

Moderator: Jim DeVito

marklingm

Markling for School Board

Postby marklingm » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:19 am

Dear Observers,

My recent involvement in examining student conduct policy in the Lakewood City Schools convinced my wife, Kathleen, and me that it is now time for me to offer my knowledge and talents as a prospective member of the Board of Education. I bring a fresh perspective, and a commitment to assuring a future of excellent education for all of Lakewood's children, even those not yet in school, including my sons, Declan and Nevan.

I am running for the School Board on a platform of academic excellence, school safety, and leadership.

I am proud and honored to have my campaign committee spearheaded by Teresa Coyne Andreani, Chuck Greanoff, Paula Reed, and Rick Wair.

My team has put together www.marklingforlakewood.com in an effort to share with you a summary of my personal background and platform.

As you peruse our website, we encourage you to contact us with any questions, comments or concerns you may have regarding my campaign and the School Board. I will be happy to meet with you and/or your organization to discuss my views and goals for the schools. 

Vote Markling for School Board on November 6, 2007!

Paid for by
Markling for Lakewood Schools
Richard A. Wair, Treasurer
1604 Robinwood Avenue
Lakewood, OH 44107
Last edited by marklingm on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:52 am

Meet Markling at Around the Corner!

Teresa Coyne Andreani, Paula Reed, Chuck Greanoff, and Rick Wair invite you to join them for an event to support Matthew John Markling for the Lakewood City School District Board of Education on September 5, 2007, between 5:00 and 7:00 p.m.

This fundraiser is hosted by Lakewood’s Around the Corner, which is located at 18616-20 Detroit Avenue.

Come meet Matt and enjoy drinks, food, and casual conversation on the patio compliments of Team Markling.

To download a fundraising flyer, visit www.marklingforlakewood.com or click here.
Last edited by marklingm on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:52 am

The Markling Platform Part I: Academic Excellence

"Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself." John Dewey

As our children journey through life, their academic progress is directly related to their eventual economic and social success. Our mission is to lay the foundation for happy, engaged, productive citizenship.

I propose a two-prong approach to ensure academic excellence throughout the Lakewood City Schools – (1) maintaining an excellent rating on state accountability standards and (2) highlighting the achievements of our students that go beyond that which can be measured by a pencil and paper test.

Mandate Excellent Rating

Sometimes, school leaders are tempted to make excuses for why their schools fail to meet one or more of the state accountability standards. These excuses can become self-fulfilling prophecies and serve no good purpose.

Admittedly, there are factors beyond the control of school districts that sometimes make it difficult to meet all state standards. However, these factors should not deter us from doing everything possible to meet the standards. They simply mean that the Lakewood City Schools has to continuously evaluate our practices and make changes whenever indicated.

As a school board member, I will expect academic excellence throughout the Lakewood City Schools and work to ensure that appropriate resources are provided to our educational professionals to ensure that success.

I will also work to ensure that the Lakewood City Schools meets state and federal accountability standards.

To access past and current report cards for the Lakewood City Schools, click here.

To access The Plain Dealer's August 17, 2007 editorial entitled, Public schools: You're accountable; get over it, click here.

To access The Plain Dealer's September 1, 2007 editorial entitled, Accountability measures should err on the side of students, click here.

Highlight Excellence

While state accountability standards are important, we should not judge our performance exclusively by any one set of tests. To do so would obscure the broader educational mission that is over a 100 year tradition in Lakewood. These traditions include: serving all students with a wide range of needs; emphasizing development of the whole person, including social and emotional aspects; and maintaining and emphasizing the importance of good citizenship.

To access Chuck Greanoff's article published in the August 21, 2007 edition of The Lakewood Observer and entitled, Absurdity Comes Home: The Latest Standardized Testing Distortion, click here.

My wife and I entrust our sons to the care of the Lakewood City Schools because they will receive an excellent education, both in terms of academics and in terms of social/emotional development. Lakewood is special in not only its dedication to public schools, but also in the underlying philosophy of sharing a common fate. We recognize that we all benefit from living in an educated, prosperous community.

As a school board member, I will work toward highlighting the academic excellence currently taking place in the Lakewood City Schools by (1) taking advantage of the media outlets we currently have (e.g., Channel 74, newsletters, website, etc.) and (2) recognizing both students and parents for their academic accomplishments on a classroom, building, and district-wide level.
Last edited by marklingm on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:57 am

The Markling Platform Part II: School Safety

"If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders." Abigail Van Buren

As an active leader in both the High School Student Conduct and School Climate Committee and the Middle School Student Conduct and School Climate Committee, I have worked toward ensuring that our students learn responsibility for civility and student safety.

As a school board member, I will work to ensure that all school safety recommendations of both committees continue to be implemented fully including, but not limited to, the following:

Total Enforcement of the Student Code of Conduct – including the current dress code

Unequivocal Required Display of Photo IDs

Smoke-Free and Drug-Free School Environment

Extensive Orientation for All Incoming Students – including the middle and high schools

Alternative Education for Students Suspended or Expelled

Increase Student Opportunities for Extra-Curricular Activities
Last edited by marklingm on Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:03 am

The Markling Platform Part III: Leadership

"The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men [and women] to do what [s]he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it." Theodore Roosevelt

The Lakewood City School District Board of Education sets educational goals and establishes policy for the school system based upon state laws and Lakewood values through hiring and evaluating a superintendent and treasurer, setting district policy, planning student services, goal-setting and long-range planning, developing curriculum, establishing budgets, and creating community relations programs.*

I believe that the most important responsibility of a school board is to employ a superintendent and treasurer and to hold them responsible for managing the schools in accordance with the school board’s policies.

As a school board member, I will not manage the day-to-day operations of the Lakewood City Schools; however, I will insist that the system is properly managed.

The Lakewood City Schools has a rich history of civic participation that can never be taken for granted.

As a school board member, I will help build public support and understanding of public education, and lead the public in demanding quality education.

* My views on school board leadership are similar to those articulated by the Ohio School Board Association in a recent article entitled, Board Candidate Information.
Last edited by marklingm on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

marklingm

Lakewood Early Childhood PTA School Board Candidates Forum

Postby marklingm » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:56 pm

Lakewood Early Childhood PTA School Board Candidates Forum

I just received my August 24, 2007 invitation - and confirmed my participation in - the Lakewood Early Childhood PTA School Board Candidates Forum scheduled for Monday, September 24, 2007, at Taft Elementary School's gymnasium. The forum will begin at 7:30 p.m. and will last for approximately one hour.

The stated goal of the program is to let the Lakewood Early Childhood PTA members and the public meet the candidates for the Lakewood City School District Board of Education and hear their views on issues facing the Lakewood City Schools. All candidates have been invited to participate.

I thank the Lakewood Early Childhood PTA for offering this forum and look forward to sharing my views and goals for the schools with you.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:23 am

Meet Markling at Around the Corner a Success!

Dear Observers,

Thank you for meeting me at Around the Corner last night in support of our campaign to improve academic excellence, school safety, and leadership throughout the Lakewood City Schools.

Teresa Coyne Andreani, Chuck Greanoff, Paula Reed, and Rick Wair were excellent hosts - thank you.

As the campaign continues, we invite all Observers to visit www.marklingforlakewood.com to learn more about my personal background and platform.

We also encourage you to contact us with any questions, comments or concerns you may have regarding my campaign and the School Board. I will be happy to meet with you and/or your organization to discuss my views and goals for the schools.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Why I Am Running For the Lakewood School Board

Dear Observers,

In the September 5, 2007 edition of The Lakewood Observer, you will find an article entitled, "Why I Am Running For the Lakewood School Board." You can also access that article by clicking here. The purpose of this article is to share more information about my family and platform. I hope you find the article informative.

As always, my team and I encourage you to contact us with any questions, comments or concerns you may have regarding my campaign and the School Board. I will be happy to meet with you and/or your organization to discuss my views and goals for the schools.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:53 am

Markling Clears Run for Board

Dear Observers,

In the August 7, 2007 edition of The Lakewood Observer, you will find an article written by Tim Kanak and entitled, "Markling Clears Run For Board." You can also access that article by clicking here.

As explained in the article, I was initially approached by Board President Linda Beebe to run for the school board. After consultation with my wife, I agreed to toss my hat into the ring.

Based upon my extensive background in the area of school law, my law firm and I have been providing legal services to the Lakewood City Schools for many years.

School administrators have expressed concern that the Lakewood City Schools will lose my legal experience if elected. That is both true and false.

I have already obtained an opinion from the Ohio Ethics Commission confirming that my law firm can continue to represent the Lakewood City Schools in all matters assigned to McGown & Markling Co., L.P.A. prior to my being elected (if I am so fortunate). Please feel free to contact Ohio Ethics Commission Advisory Attorney John Rawski directly at 1.614.466.7090 for specific questions.

While it is also true that my law firm and family will be financially impacted if I am elected because we cannot accept assignments after January 2008, I hope that this loss demonstrates the commitment my wife and I have to the Lakewood City Schools.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:10 am

The Markling Family

From Left to Right: Nevan, Kathleen, Matthew, and Declan

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:58 am

On a Lighter Note …

I recently received an invitation to attend the 2007 Homecoming Reunion at The Ohio State University. As a former member of the O.S.U. Homecoming Court, I was invited to participate in the parade and other festivities. I initially felt honored and filled with Buckeye Pride - until I took a closer look at the invitation.

The invitation was decorated with past homecoming photographs. Prominently displayed in the upper-left hand corner, was a picture containing me – thinner and with hair! That photo is set forth below for your entertainment.

That is me on the left in the front row.

GO BUCKS!

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:00 pm

Lakewood Teachers Association Interview

Dear Observers,

This evening I had the honor of being interviewed by the Lakewood Teachers Association. Prior to the interview, the LTA submitted an excellent questionnaire with two parts. The first part is general information. The second part contains 14 separate questions. My responses to those questions are set forth below in separate posts for your review. The LTA questions will be in purple, followed by my responses.
Last edited by marklingm on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:05 pm

LTA GENERAL INFORMATION QUESTIONS

Name:

Response: Matthew John Markling

Name and address of campaign committee:

Response: I am proud and honored to have my campaign committee spearheaded by Rick Wair, Chuck Greanoff, Teresa Coyne Andreani, and Paula Reed. The directory information of the campaign committee is as follows:

Markling for Lakewood Schools
1604 Robinwood Avenue
Lakewood, OH 44107

Name of campaign treasurer (and address if different):

Response: Richard A. Wair

Name of campaign website, if applicable:

Response: www.marklingforlakewood.com

Educational background:

Response: I am currently in the process of completing my doctoral degree in educational administration from The Ohio State University. I have also earned the following four degrees from The Ohio State University:

• B.A., political science, summa cum laude with Honors in Liberal Arts, 1994
• B.A., economics, summa cum laude with Distinction in Economics, 1994
• J.D., Public Service Fellow, 1997
• M.A., educational administration, John A. Ramseyer Fellow, 1998

Experience relevant to service as Lakewood City Schools Board Member:

Response: I have not served as a member of the Lakewood City School District Board of Education. However, I have served as legal counsel for the Board of Education, as well as a current Lakewood Teachers Association bargaining unit member and administrators. I have also served as legal counsel for other school boards and teachers throughout the State of Ohio.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:08 pm

LTA Question No. 1

Why have you become a candidate for the Lakewood Board of Education?

I am running for the Lakewood City School District Board of Education on a platform of academic excellence, school safety, and leadership. My recent involvement in both Student Conduct and School Climate Committees convinced my wife, Kathleen, and me that it is now time for me to offer my knowledge and talents as a prospective member of the Board of Education. I bring a fresh perspective, and a commitment to assuring a future of excellent education for all of Lakewood’s children, even those not yet in school, including my sons, Declan and Nevan.
Last edited by marklingm on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marklingm

Postby marklingm » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:10 pm

LTA Questions No. 2

Describe your personal experience and involvement with the Lakewood City Schools within the past five (5) years that would qualify you to be a school board member, including enrollment decisions involving your own children/family.

Over the past five years, I have been a regular fixture at school board meetings. This experience familiarized me with issues facing the district, as well as the operation of the Board of Education while in open session. My experience as a school attorney also makes me knowledgeable of Sunshine Law and public record mandates.

Over the past five years, I have taken an active leadership role in the High School Student Conduct and School Climate Committee and the Middle School Student Conduct and School Climate Committee, as well as the Heritage Committee, which were conducted as part of various ongoing district-wide initiatives. The Student Conduct and School Climate Committee experience familiarized me with various implementation issues facing teachers and administrators. The Heritage Committee experience exposed me to the importance history (short-term and long-term) plays in the Lakewood City Schools. My interest in the history of the schools was kindled to the point that I researched and decoded the names prominently displayed on Madison, some of which are now incorporated into Harding. Most importantly, the experience in all three committees highlighted the importance of vesting all stakeholders in district-wide initiatives.

I have represented the legal needs of the Lakewood City Schools over the past five years. My principle representation has been in the area of pupil services and special education; however, I am currently representing a Lakewood Teachers Association bargaining unit member, administrators, and the Board of Education in a civil lawsuit. My experience as a school attorney qualifies me to make informed decisions regarding legal matters facing the Lakewood City Schools.

I have a child who currently receives county educational and related services. Both my sons have actively participated in early childhood education opportunities offered through both the Lakewood City Schools and Lakewood Early Childhood PTA.

My wife and I entrust our sons to the care of the Lakewood City Schools because they will receive an excellent education, in terms of both academics and social/emotional development. Lakewood is special not only in its dedication to public schools, but also in the underlying philosophy of sharing a common fate. We recognize that we all benefit from living in an educated, prosperous community.
Last edited by marklingm on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2007 Lakewood Mayoral Election”