Letters To The Editor

Lakewood Hospital Is Not Dead Yet!

Like the good knight did for his servant Patsy shot with an arrow in the 1975 movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail, many people have assumed it’s all over for Lakewood Hospital. Despite what the Cleveland Clinic and Mayor Summers would have you believe, Lakewood Hospital is alive and well.

Volume 11, Issue 7, Posted 7:10 AM, 04.01.2015

Lakewood Hospital Closing???

Lakewood City Council Members,

I'm not one to normally pick up the pen and write about such matters, but I cannot let this go without saying something. I've lived and worked in Lakewood for most of my life. I live in the home that I grew up in, which will be 100 years old this year. It's been in my family for 50 years and only the second surname to own it. I run the administrative side of a 102-year-old manufacturing company here in Lakewood and have worked there for 38 years. I love this town for its diversity of people, convenience, offerings of restaurants, churches, city services, school system, parks, libraries, and yes, our hospital.

I know I do not have all of the facts before me about Lakewood Hospital's proposed closing. However, what I do know is that a lot of what I've heard so far just does not add up.

Volume 11, Issue 7, Posted 7:10 AM, 04.01.2015

Save Our Hospital: Degrading Our City

With all the money that Lakewood gets, with the pride that Lakewood claims to have in this city, with all the desired growth in our neighborhoods; and, of course, with all the higher taxes, the community should never lose its main touchstone of progress: its full-service hospital!

Volume 11, Issue 6, Posted 4:41 PM, 03.17.2015

Response To RTA's "Harshest Critics"

As one who usually admires Jim O’Bryan’s journalistic efforts, I was especially disappointed in his February 3 “RTA’s 55 Ridden By Two Of RTA’s Harshest Critics.” Would a publisher select as his restaurant critic someone who never patronizes eating establishments but knows they all are bad, or a theater critic who claims to hate plays and never attends them? This piece just plays into the prejudices of those snobs who regard riding a bus or a train as beneath their economic or social status. And why would anyone who wants to report on public transit or the state of Downtown Cleveland choose December 30, of all days, as if it were a typical day? Try riding the bus and walking on Euclid Avenue on a normal weekday when the temperature is above zero and the experience would be quite a bit different.

Volume 11, Issue 6, Posted 6:07 PM, 03.03.2015

State Testing For Students Is Not A Walk In The PARCC

On Sunday, February 22, with just two days notice, 20 people gathered in Lakewood to write letters to local, regional and state elected officials about their concerns with the new Common Core and PARCC (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Career) testing. Parents, teachers, and students participated in this event.

Volume 11, Issue 5, Posted 6:07 PM, 03.03.2015

Response To: "Citizens Ask: Has The Lakewood Hospital Association Failed Its Mandate?”

The letter that follows is in response to an article entitled, "Citizen's Ask: Has the Lakewood Hospital Association Failed Its Mandate?” written by Jared Denman that ran in Issue 11 Volume 4 of the Lakewood Observer.

Dear Mr. Denman:

I read your article in “The Lakewood Observer” dated February 17, 2015, and I do not believe that you have accurately reported either the impressions you have of the process or the “facts“  that you allege tell the true story.

By way of introduction, I was appointed to the Board of Trustees of Lakewood Hospital in 1981 by then Mayor Lawther. My father, Doug Gorton, served on the Board for over twenty years until his death in 1979. I have served on the Lakewood Hospital Board and its successor Board of Trustees of Lakewood Hospital Association (LHA) since then. I became Vice-Chair in 1989 and Chair in 1991 until 2001.

Volume 11, Issue 5, Posted 6:04 PM, 03.03.2015

Letter To The Editor: Who Wins The Lakewood Hospital Lottery?

Just had some experience with Lakewood Hospital that was top notch, involving someone with advanced cancer (we found), including ER care, emergency neurosurgery on a Sunday night, time in the Neuro Integrated Care Unit and then Acute Rehab. Some extremely impressive comprehensive care, with a very great team of doctors, nurses, therapists and aides. Almost 2 weeks were spent at Lakewood Hospital in their various departments. I was so grateful that it was close by, because I had to walk there and home several times because of the weather we've been having.

Now that she's at home and I've raised my head above water, I see on the Observation Deck that this great hospital, this great asset to Lakewood, may close?

That some of the same few financially interested people who were stopped from forcing people out of their homes on Lakewood's west end a few years ago, using City Hall and Eminent Domain as a tool, for the sake of some dubious "development" ideas, are now the same few people that have much to gain by pushing Cleveland Clinic out of Lakewood 12 years before their contract with the City is up, and giving the people of Lakewood something far inferior, equivalent to a "wellneww clinic" instead of a real ER and hospital?

Volume 11, Issue 4, Posted 4:42 PM, 02.17.2015

Lakewood Hospital Can And Should Be Saved

Lakewood mayor Mike Summers, who is a Lakewood Hospital trustee, announced with Cleveland Clinic CEO Dr. Toby Cosgove on January 15, that both men plan to close Lakewood Hospital and replace it with an emergency room and out-patient medical services. Lakewood owns the hospital, used to run it, then leased it to Cleveland Clinic from 1997 to 2026. A big mistake that gave selfish, conniving Cleveland Clinic power over Lakewood Hospital. Cleveland Clinic and Lakewood hospital trustees, including Summers and Lakewood Councilmen Tom Bullock and Mary Louise Madigan escaped accountability for the hospital losing money since 2005, about nine years after it was leased to Cleveland Clinic. Many Lakewood Hospital trustees don't live in Lakewood. Summers and City Council, which can oppose Summers' plan and stop the closing by refusing to vote to close it, should stop rushing to close it, and wait ten years to consider.

Volume 11, Issue 3, Posted 1:20 PM, 02.03.2015

Fan

Originating from a city that is known for its sports is something to brag about. Chicago is a sports city, having had the taste of a championship many times over, thanks to the world-famous Bulls. Anyone who is affiliated with me knows that I love my Chicago sports, no matter the season, no matter the record, I will always pledge allegiance to the Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks and beyond.

Volume 11, Issue 3, Posted 1:20 PM, 02.03.2015

Re: Lakewood Hospital

To the Editor:

Is the City of Lakewood at risk of becoming a medical desert? After more than 30 year of residency and medical practice in Lakewood, I was interested in the comments by the elected leaders of our city regarding the impending closure of the acute care hospital beds at Lakewood Hospital. This completes the process which began 15 years ago in which psychiatry, cardiac surgery, thoracic surgery, oncology, invasive cardiology, electrophysiology, vascular surgery, pediatrics and trauma were moved to other Cleveland Clinic (CCF) hospitals. The expansion of obstetric beds, neurologic services and the construction of rehab beds elsewhere this year means these services will also be leaving. It is no wonder that the census of our hospital has declined since we no longer offer the services our community needs. In addition, the decision by Dr. Loop more than 10 years ago to not assist the non CCF independent physicians in their attempts to find replacements has largely led to the collapse of the core medical staff.

Within 5 years, with Lakewood’s progressively aging physician population, there will be almost no specialty physicians based in the city. The primary care physicians will be almost totally controlled by the CCF and will be referring our neighbors to remote facilities which are particularly difficult for the most disadvantaged to reach. Our failure was predictable when we agreed to a lease which could by fulfilled by an “urgicenter” rather than a full service medical facility.

Volume 11, Issue 2, Posted 1:08 PM, 01.20.2015

H.R.37

I have to agree with Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur’s opposition on H.R.37. Kaptur states, “The American people, some who have lost their life savings, their jobs and dignity during the 2008 financial disaster deserves better than a rubber stamp for Wall Street.” Kaptur goes on to say, “Instead of joining House Democrats and supporting bills that lift up all Americans, House Republicans would rather go back to the days of sub-prime mortgages, risky Wall Street schemes and giveaways for their most loyal campaign contributors.” In addition, H.R. 37 would allow for a two year delay in implementation of the Volker Rule and also limit regulatory authority to police financial markets.

Volume 11, Issue 2, Posted 1:08 PM, 01.20.2015

Police Car Lights Too Bright

Now that we're through complaining about the traffic signs, as Jerry Seinfeld might say, "And how about those lights on top of the police cars!" Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that it is almost dangerous to pass a police car that has its top lights flashing? The new light system has a white light shining at eye level directly back into approaching drivers' eyes that is more intense than any car high-beam that I've seen. The flashing colored lights also seem to be a significant level higher intensity as well.

Volume 11, Issue 2, Posted 1:08 PM, 01.20.2015

Snow Way To Pay For Parking Space

I am all about the improvements made to the city. Who am I to complain about progress? I mean, as a lifelong resident I should rejoice at the single lanes of traffic backed up for blocks as you attempt to travel east and west down Detroit Avenue. I should applaud the broken up and missing bricks along the curbs instead of concrete. I should be happy that two lanes on Clifton Avenue have been taken away so that buses have a quicker and private route. And I suppose I should give in and embrace the sensory and scenic overload created by all of the new signs along our roadways that direct us and alert us to all of the progress occurring in our fair city.

Volume 10, Issue 24, Posted 11:45 AM, 11.25.2014

Holding Multiple Realities

As I reflect on people’s attitudes regarding the event in Ferguson I am struck by how challenging it is for people to see more than one side of a situation. This event reminded me of one of the most crucial concepts introduced in the CSU Masters in Diversity Program, the importance of being able to hold multiple realities. It’s the idea that conflicting realities can simultaneously exist and both can be valid. Very rarely in life can you synthesize events to simply one polarity or the other; in this case black or white when there is so much in the gray area. There is ALWAYS more to the story.

Volume 10, Issue 23, Posted 12:41 PM, 11.11.2014

How Thankful Are You?

We often overlook the greatest gift we have everyday... to be born in the United States of America in this time in history. We could have been born in the Depression, or during the Civil War, but we need to be thankful for being here now. I was guilty of taking so much for granted when, in March 2011, my good friend Angie sent me an email that changed my life. I don't know the author of the email, but the thoughts really put my life into perspective. I wish to share these facts with you:

Volume 10, Issue 23, Posted 12:41 PM, 11.11.2014

Lakewood: It's Time For The Talk About The War On Drugs

Although I don't garner much news or information from corporate controlled mainstream media sources, I am still acutely aware of the burgeoning heroin epidemic in Cuyahoga County, Northeast Ohio and elsewhere. It appears that heroin use, once relegated primarily to impoverished hapless dregs of inner city slums, has gotten a facelift, thanks in part to its cultural appeal and glamorization as being trendy and hip. Our favorite musicians, entertainers, celebrities and fashion models (Heroin chic) are using or have used smack, so it must somehow be cool and fashionable. Fanning the flames is a decrease in price, increase in purity and availability and apparent steady demand. Over 90% of non-pharmaceutical grade opiates originate from Afghanistan, where Afghan farmers cultivate and harvest poppies, from which opium is extracted and further refined into heroin. Under the watchful eyes and protection of U.S. military troops, opium production in Afghanistan has been on the rise since the U.S. occupation began in 2001. As a consequence, cultivation of poppies across the war-torn region has spiked 36% in 2013, and total opium production has ballooned to a staggering 5,500 tons, up by almost half since 2012. The U.S. military in Afghanistan, presumably under orders from our Supreme Commander Barry Soetoro, a.k.a. Barack Obama, has evidently allowed poppy cultivation to continue in efforts to assuage farmers and government officials involved in the illicit drug trade who might otherwise renounce the Karzai puppet regime in Kabul. Fueling both sides, the opium and heroin industry is both a product of the war and an essential source for ongoing conflict. Photographs, which are in the public domain, depict armed American and U.S.-trained Afghan soldiers patrolling poppy fields in Afghanistan.

Volume 10, Issue 22, Posted 5:40 PM, 10.28.2014

City of...

So, what will Lakewood's legacy be? We have Paris, the City of Lights. Philadelphia is the City of Brotherly Love. Could Lakewood be the City of Traffic Signs? Watching our new bus stops being built on Clifton Boulevard for the past two years, one may have thought that we were finally reaching the end of this project. But in the city which has a "No Turn on Red" sign on just about every corner (except around schools, where drivers can turn on red during non-school hours), we now have signs stacked three high to help us navigate our new bus stops. The right lane can now only be used to turn right before our bus stops. The new signs are stacked three high and drivers must now look up from the road in order to read them. Are the new signs telling us anything but common sense? Do other cities need to tell drivers that buses make stops and it is unwise to get in behind them as they approach a bus stop or do they presume a modicum of intelligence on the part of the average driver?

Volume 10, Issue 22, Posted 5:40 PM, 10.28.2014

A Sincere Thank You To Strangers

I am a 62 year old woman. I fell on Cook Avenue in Lakewood while walking north to my car on an uneven sidewalk on Friday, September 26th. Some young men and women came from "somewhere" as I screamed and lay bleeding profusely on the ground. My developmentally disabled son was with me and waiting to get into the car. These kind young people talked to him, offering reassurance and called 911. They stayed with me until the ambulance came, brought me warm soapy water to clean up with and cold towels for the bleeding. I don't know who they were, but I hope they see this and know how greatly appreciated their random acts of kindness were. Thank you so much.

Sincerely,
Carol Ratino
Fairview Park

Sincerely,
Carol Ratino
Fairview Park

Volume 10, Issue 22, Posted 5:40 PM, 10.28.2014

"Amy, the Mayor of Lakewood has lied to you"

"Amy the Mayor of Lakewood has lied to you."  (That was Jim O'Bryan's comment to Amy Martin under the post - "Rape Suspect Sought by Police").

Mr. O'Bryan, your sentence resonates on Grace Ave. Living on Grace we witnessed an administration that when pressed did not hesitate to mislead residents or play games with a process that should have been fair and transparent. When we asked Mr. Siley direct questions the Director of Development responded with misinformation. He consistently dumped  revised plans on us at the last minute and sat on a legal brief we explicitly asked to be passed on in advance to the Planning Commission. Although playing games with residents isn't the equivalent of lying or misleading them (Mr. Siley did mislead us), it is yet another form of dishonesty and in an honest political culture it would have been met with disapproval. Unfortunately the misleading statements, the gamesmanship, all of it, were offered up without even a hint of reproach. It's revealing about the culture at City Hall that Councilperson Madigan (who was used as a conduit for Mr. Siley's misinformation) never spoke out publicly. She never felt obliged to inform the Planning Commission that the person who guides them through their decision making process had misled her and her constituents. Evidently Mr.Siley's conduct fell within the established norm at City Hall.

In Mayor Summers' administration the notion of Inform or Misinform are not polar opposites but instead interchangeable approaches with the only consideration being which will gain the desired result. Whether it's Mayor Summers' excusing his silence surrounding a rape case or Mr. Siley shoving an over- sized development down neighbors' throats, City Hall's methodology is simple. We know what's best. We will do or say what it takes to achieve it. We will do or say what it takes to push aside any obstacles (residents). The arrogance of entrenched power is a defining characteristic of this administration and it's way past time calling it out.

Volume 10, Issue 21, Posted 2:02 PM, 10.14.2014

A New Candidate For Ohio's 9th Congressional District

In the spring of 2012 my wife and I moved to Lakewood after having lived downtown for the last several years. At the time we moved I was awaiting my bar exam results and I was unemployed. I felt like I had no purpose. I felt unwanted. Lucky for me, I got a community organizing job with the AFL-CIO after only a couple of months of being unemployed. But, on my rides down Detroit on the RTA I met many residents of Lakewood who weren’t quite so lucky. Some folks were young recent graduates like me. Others were in their early 60’s and had worked their whole lives and dreaded the prospect of their unemployment insurance ending. All they wanted was a job but nobody would give them a chance.

Volume 10, Issue 20, Posted 2:16 PM, 09.30.2014

A Response To "Birds In The City"

I would like to respond to the concerns raised by the Letter to the Editor piece in the Lakewood Observer's last edition titled "Birds in the City." Mr. Todd wrote a list of things he believes could be problems if residents are allowed to keep backyard hens. To start, I don't know what Mr. Todd saw or experienced with the method of hen keeping used by his neighbors in the small town he grew up in. Those of us who want backyard hens have done our own research into how urban and suburban backyard keeping (micro-flocks of 4 to 8 birds) is handled. We have visited yards in the Gordon Square neighborhood and Cleveland Heights to see first hand exactly how the age-old tradition of hen-keeping has updated itself into a new modern version. Here is what we know. Let me answer Mr. Todd's concerns as he has listed them in his letter.

Volume 10, Issue 18, Posted 4:26 PM, 09.02.2014

Birds In The City

As someone who grew up in a small town where many people kept chickens I think I know a little about the subject. The Norman Rockwellish little girl reaching into her bunched up pinafore for grain to scatter for the cute fuzzy chicks is a wonderfully warm  image but isn't quite what you normally get.

Volume 10, Issue 17, Posted 8:13 AM, 08.21.2014

Are We All GUYS ???

Are we all GUYS ???

I am not sure when it happened. When did it become socially acceptable to refer to both sexes as “guys”? Have you noticed it? Everybody is a guy. I see it on TV, in movies, used by store clerks, everywhere!

My guess is that corporate America decided to level their employees, male and female, to give the illusion of equality among sexes. And somehow this spread like wildfire into every aspect of life. I can see it being used with all male dominated teams, of course. And Webster’s Dictionary says it is appropriate language in groups of mixed sexes to call them “guys.” Okay, I accept that. But women are increasing in management of major corporations, politics, are the main earners in many families. Because of this, should we also be called “guys”? Heck NO !!!

Volume 10, Issue 14, Posted 3:34 PM, 07.08.2014

Common Core: Part 4

In my three part series on the Common Core for the Lakewood Observer, I hoped to get across the following points:  1) The Common Core is a business model, not an educational one, designed to monetize children and create scalable products for test prep/educational corporations; 2) failure is predicted and hoped for, so that more products can be sold and more schools privatized; 3) the standards themselves are not grounded in an understanding of child development on either a cognitive or social/emotional level.

Volume 10, Issue 14, Posted 3:24 PM, 07.08.2014

Another Birdbath In Birdtown?

Just what Birdtown needs, another watering hole for all the "birds" of Birdtown. On June 4th, the city's planning and building commission unanimously approved a new project to allow a Restaurant/Brewery to be constructed in the old St. Gregory Byzantine Catholic Church. It is scheduled to open sometime in summer of 2015. While at the meeting, there were voices for it and against it. There were 250 silent voices that went unheard although they signed a petition against the proposed bar being put so deep into a residential neighborhood. Of the 250 silent voices, 123 of them are directly from the Birdtown neighborhood which will feel the direct impact of this project. The most frequent comment we heard as we knocked every door in Birdtown, was, "Just what we need, another bar."

Volume 10, Issue 13, Posted 7:20 AM, 06.25.2014

Lakewood leads Suburbs with Heroin Deaths: A Call for Action

A few weeks ago, I was on my way to TV 3 to do an interview about the heroin epidemic, and I ran into my neighbor Jennifer Scott. Startled and saddened, she told me that, “Heroin had come into her house.”  Lindsay Allamon lost her boyfriend, Jake Michelich, to a heroin overdose. Both were family friends.

After my heroin interview (found at www.DrStephenSroka.com), Jennifer, Lindsay and I sat down and decided that we had to do something to help stop this heroin scourge.

As we were preparing, the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner released a report that revealed that Lakewood had been hit hard by heroin, leading Cleveland area suburbs in heroin deaths with 51 in 2013. In Cuyahoga County last year, heroin deaths exceeded deaths by homicides and exceeded deaths by motor vehicles.

Volume 10, Issue 13, Posted 4:09 PM, 06.18.2014

The Hippies Had It Right

In 1970, I moved from Parma to Cleveland Heights and experienced this amazing culture shock. I was 19, and immediately felt as if I had landed on another planet. Everyone I met was so peaceful, and helpful with anything you needed. I remember a young man, named #12, who was finding people places to stay for the night. Everyone of every color and race were in deep conversations of all kinds of about important issues over bowls of brown rice in a local restaurant. And what was more amazing was that we all felt related, brothers and sisters of the same Mother, Mother Earth.

Volume 10, Issue 12, Posted 6:28 PM, 06.10.2014

Combating The Rise Of Antimicrobial Resistance

In April, I visited University Hospitals in Cleveland to discuss antimicrobial resistance, a public health crisis that affects two million Americans each year. Harmful microbes like Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) have adapted to the antibiotic drugs that we have used to treat them and, as a result, infections caused by these microbes are difficult to treat. Antibiotic-resistant infections kill more than 23,000 Americans per year, and if we continue to ignore this problem, Lakewood citizens could find themselves unable to treat what are now common infections.

I was joined by Molly Brudnick, a retired Cuyahoga County medical social worker who contracted MRSA while in the hospital, recovering from back surgery. After spending six weeks in a nursing home for IV antibiotics and three months of additional rehabilitation, Molly’s back is permanently disfigured from the super bug attack and she still requires therapy.

To combat the rise of these deadly infections, I introduced the "Strategies to Address Antimicrobial Resistance (STAAR) Act." This legislation would increase the emphasis on federal antimicrobial resistance surveillance, prevention and control, and research efforts.

Volume 10, Issue 10, Posted 4:57 PM, 05.13.2014

Momentum Builds For "Move To Amend" Lakewood

The Lakewood initiative known as "Move To Amend" gained momentum on May 7 when the citizens' group filed petitions with City Council Clerk Mary Hagan. Move To Amend Lakewood seeks an amendment to the United States Constitution that would establish the following:

Volume 10, Issue 10, Posted 4:57 PM, 05.13.2014

National Service: Strengthening Northeast Ohio’s Communities

Five years ago this month – during the height of the economic downturn – Democrats and Republicans came together to invest in a bedrock of the American spirit: serving others. Five years later, Ohioans have truly exemplified what it means to serve. 10,000 Ohioans work to improve their local communities by serving at one of our state’s 1500 national service locations, made possible by the Corporation for National and Community Service.

Last year, I visited John Jay High School in Cleveland where I saw firsthand how national service is helping to expand education opportunity in Ohio. I sat in on a weekly program, led by an AmeriCorps VISTA member who helped more than twenty 11th graders apply and prepare for college. Many of those students were the first in their family to attend college and AmeriCorp provided them with much needed guidance to navigate the process.

Volume 10, Issue 8, Posted 2:32 PM, 04.15.2014

A Little Stop in Turkey

Would you believe me if I told you I once witnessed a stoning in a remote village in eastern Turkey? I doubt many of you would think that in this day and age stonings, that harsh age-old punishment meted out in Old Testament days, might still occur. I doubt if anyone could better document this particular instance than me…seeing as how I somehow regrettably managed to instigate it. I was the one being stoned.

Volume 10, Issue 6, Posted 5:07 PM, 03.18.2014

Livable Lakewood's Postcard Campaign Well-Intended But Ultimately Offensive

Dear Editor,

When I first read the article about Livable Lakewood's new postcard campaign in the February 5th issue of the Lakewood Observer, I thought it was a cute idea! I even picked up one of each of the three designs so I could send them to relatives who live out of state.

Once I got home and got a better look at the postcards, however, I was extremely disappointed. I continue to get more offended the more I think about the campaign. One of the three designs heralds Lakewood as, "Just far enough away from Cleveland to enjoy life!" That is a HORRIBLY UGLY and OFFENSIVE sentiment to use to advertise Lakewood.

Volume 10, Issue 4, Posted 2:17 PM, 02.18.2014

The Common Core: Part 3

The Common Core is an elitist, bi-partisan attack on public education posing as a cutting edge curriculum. The forces behind it have wealth and power and seek more of both, and are anxious to eliminate neighborhood schools and local control to achieve their ends. The assault is occurring simultaneously on many fronts—charter schools and vouchers, rigged school “rating” systems, evaluations tying teacher job ratings to test scores, etc.

The key to their shock and awe strategy is to cultivate a sense of inevitability, to make teachers and parents throw up their hands in frustration. The hope is that we will just give in, and perhaps fight for marginal changes in the curriculum while missing the bigger picture. It's a powerful spell, but it’s built on a house of cards tha

Volume 10, Issue 3, Posted 5:47 PM, 02.04.2014

Common Core Part 2

Dear Lakewood students: The problem with letting you write narrative fiction, or something you care about is that “people don’t really give a shi* about what you feel or what you think.” Sincerely, David Coleman, president, College Board, architect of Common Core Literacy Standards.

The myriad forces behind the federally imposed Common Core curriculum comprise a self-interested, interconnected group of business people and politicians. They are anxious to colonize local school districts for profit and power, and the latest and largest tool in this endeavor is the Common Core and its testing regimen. They have a plan and they know best—do what they say and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. That means don’t follow the money.

Like David Coleman, the “reformers” don’t give a shi* what “you” munchkin parents, student and teachers think. What they think about is marketing and sales, and they have an array of catchy terms in their arsenal, including “college and career ready” and “data driven.” They project the notion that their curriculum is grounded in extensive research and has broad support of child development professionals. The reality is the exact opposite of what their slick marketing would lead you to believe.

Volume 10, Issue 2, Posted 4:04 PM, 01.21.2014

Creating Jobs by Investing In Ohio’s Clean Energy Economy

Manufacturing helped make the middle class in Cuyahoga County which has the most manufacturing jobs in the state. In fact, manufacturing jobs have a larger multiplier effect than any other industry. For every $1.00 spent in manufacturing, another $1.48 is added to the economy.

Volume 10, Issue 1, Posted 1:48 AM, 01.08.2014

Ranger 360, Upstanders And Community Conversation

When my partner and I were deciding where our family would make our home, we were looking for a community in which two white moms with two brown boys could settle and find a supportive and embracing community. As I am from New Jersey, I was voting for a move east. She grew up in Lakewood and was certain that we could find a home here. So when we moved the fifty miles east from our home in Erie County to Lakewood in 2002, I felt a bit like she won that discussion. Now, in 2013, I can’t imagine any other community in which we would feel so at home.

Volume 10, Issue 1, Posted 1:48 AM, 01.08.2014

Be Prepared For Lakewood's Common Core Meeting on Dec 4: Read This

As the community meeting to discuss Common Core on Dec 5, 2013, 6:00 PM at Garfield Middle School approaches, I wanted to submit some testimony that I read that was given in New York by a friend of mine who is a school superintendent in Central New York. His Name is Dr. Robert Prichard.

Volume 9, Issue 24, Posted 5:47 PM, 11.28.2013

Honor Our Veterans By Securing A Stable Economic Future

November 11th marks 94 years since President Woodrow Wilson declared Armistice Day in 1919. Though the day of remembrance has been expanded to include all veterans, not just those who made the ultimate sacrifice, and has been celebrated for decades, this year feels different.

Volume 9, Issue 23, Posted 2:01 PM, 11.12.2013

We Must Vote Yes On Issue 84

To The Editor:

I am so PROUD to be voting YES on Issue 84! The special and unique way this community rallies together, I am encouraged that voters will agree. All of you probably have heard the facts. Completely rebuilding 3 schools and finish the high school, lower operating costs, improve technology, energy efficiency, better and safer learning environment and the best part, $50 million free from the state of Ohio. The facts are indisputable and undeniable.

Volume 9, Issue 22, Posted 4:09 PM, 10.29.2013

Lakewood's Big Bet Pays Big. Let's Do It Again!

Ten years ago the citizens of Lakewood made a huge vote of confidence in this city’s future. They made this vote by affirming a big, expensive plan to rebuild the schools to continue to serve this city for at least the next 50 years.

Volume 9, Issue 22, Posted 4:09 PM, 10.29.2013

Government Shutdown

The Republican politicians and talking heads have been so busy creating all their own narratives about reality for so long that they have gotten to the point of believing their own hype. There is a quote from a famous book that talks about this:

Volume 9, Issue 21, Posted 8:54 PM, 10.15.2013

Support Issue 84

To the Editor:

I am writing to urge residents to support Issue 84. Our excellent school district needs to provide all of its students the same high quality learning environments. We need to complete this project to accomplish that.

By replacing Grant, Lincoln, and Roosevelt Elementary Schools, and finishing the renovations at the high school, we will be able to provide all students the opportunity to learn in high quality facilities. Lakewood, as a community, has shown great pride in supporting and valuing education. Now we need to follow through on the long-term vision of updating our school buildings. When the project is complete, Lakewood will be an attractive choice for prospective home buyers.

Voting FOR Issue 84 and finishing the job of rebuilding schools is a necessary step for Lakewood. The move toward a completed school renovation project will have a tremendous, positive impact on the future of our city and community.

Emmie Hutchison

Volume 9, Issue 21, Posted 8:53 PM, 10.15.2013

Issue 84: Let's Finish The Job

My sons were toddlers when I first began attending meetings about Lakewood City Schools’ Master Facilities Plan. Now they attend Lakewood High School and Garfield Middle School. In the last 10 years, they have benefitted from the Schools’ excellent staff and learned in a variety of school facilities, from new buildings completed in building phases I and II to the open classroom model of Grant Elementary to the trailers at Grant and LHS.

Now is the time to complete the construction program and rebuild Grant, Lincoln, and Roosevelt Elementary Schools and complete Lakewood High School by rebuilding its east side. It is time to finish the job and vote “Yes” on Issue 84 this November 5.

Volume 9, Issue 21, Posted 7:53 PM, 10.03.2013

Citizens Take Stand Against BSL

The White House has issued an official statement denouncing Breed Specific Legislation (BSL), which has tails across the country wagging in response. Two petitions hosted at the White House's official site, www.petitions.whitehouse.gov, received official responses stating that the White House does not support this type of legislation and that they feel that BSL is inappropriate and a waste of public resources.

Volume 9, Issue 18, Posted 1:37 PM, 09.05.2013

Working To Reduce The Backlog And Serve Cuyahoga County Veterans

Recently, I had the honor of meeting with veterans at a roundtable I held at the Cuyahoga County Veterans Services Commission. These heroes who have made tremendous sacrifices for our country do not ask for much in return – just the benefits they have earned and deserve. But when 490,000 veterans have waited longer than 125 days to have their claims processed, it’s obvious we need to do more.

Volume 9, Issue 18, Posted 1:37 PM, 09.05.2013

Why I Walk To End Alzheimer's

On September 21, I will be joining with many others for a very special and personal cause, the Walk to End Alzheimer’s.

Volume 9, Issue 17, Posted 11:29 AM, 08.21.2013

Revitalizing Our Communities By Redeveloping Cuyahoga County's Brownfields

In Ohio, parcels of land known as brownfields are left behind after a commercial building or factory has been demolished or abandoned. These brownfields don’t belong in neighborhoods where children walk to school, and they don’t belong in Greater Cleveland where you are looking to attract new businesses and continue your renaissance.

Volume 9, Issue 17, Posted 11:29 AM, 08.21.2013

Letter To The Editor

To the Editor:

As Class of 1960 graduates from Lakewood High School, we continue to be grateful for the excellent education we received throughout our years in the Lakewood City Schools. As nearly lifelong Lakewood residents, we were proud to watch our two daughters graduate from the same Civic Auditorium stage more than 30 years later. The exceptional educational opportunities offered to all of us enabled pursuit of advanced degrees and successful professional careers.

Our decision to remain, and to retire in Lakewood, has been easy. Outstanding city services, business offerings, restaurants, churches, and our treasured schools provide daily confirmation of the strength and vitality of our community.

Lakewood City Schools Levy, Issue 14, provides us with a special opportunity to "Pay it forward " for those who follow us. We heartily endorse and support a vote FOR Issue 14.

Anne and Jack Palomaki

Volume 9, Issue 10, Posted 10:39 PM, 04.30.2013

Letter to the Editor: Cost To Light Arthur Would Be Reduced For All Residents

To the Editor:

The Opinion piece, "Lakewood Citizens Will Bear At Least 2% Of Cost For Arthur Avenue Decorative Light Project" (April 3, 2013), tells only part of the story. While installation of fourteen LED streetlights would make our block prettier and safer, the cost to light our street every night would be significantly reduced for ALL Lakewood residents.

Volume 9, Issue 8, Posted 9:37 PM, 04.16.2013

Lakewood City Schools

To the Editor:

On May 7, registered voters in Lakewood will have the opportunity to choose our children.

By voting yes on Issue 14, we will continue the Lakewood tradition of providing the means for Lakewood’s city schools to deliver a quality education to our community’s children. In Lakewood that’s not something we take for granted. Lakewood City Schools has historically provided the opportunity for every child in our community to have a high quality education and I’m very proud of that.

Volume 9, Issue 7, Posted 9:25 PM, 04.02.2013

Did you know that a provision in the Lakewood City Charter can make you, as a homeowner, liable for decorative street improvements regardless of need or desire? Here’s a scenario: You live on a street in Lakewood with perfectly serviceable street lights that are paid for and maintained by the city, using the taxes collected for this purpose. A handful of your well-meaning neighbors decide they want decorative street lights to beautify the tree lawns. They are able to petition the residents, write a resolution and present it to council, who then can approve the resolution as a special assessment that forces all residents on the street to pay for the decorative lighting—in this case, approximately $1831 per household for 13-15 lights. Of course, you can spread the cost over 10 years as a non-deductible tax assessment—while paying additional interest fees.

Volume 9, Issue 7, Posted 9:25 PM, 04.02.2013

A Plague Of Gun Violence

The shock of the shootings at Sandy Hood elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut is fading and we have just passed the first anniversary of the school killings in our own neighborhood of Chardon. Thankfully the subject of gun violence is at last continuing to be debated.

Gun enthusiasts proclaim without shame that guns save lives. If this is true our country should be the safest, most secure in the world since we are awash in guns. In truth, we lead "civilized" nations in the rate of homicides and it is getting worse all the time. We have a culture of gun violence which will soon disqualify us as being rated a civilized nation.

While mass killings shock us and demand our attention, the slaughter of our innocents goes on every hour and every day.  Young people who live in certain parts of our cities have never known a life without fear. All too many of them have witnessed killings of friends and family members. What are the consequences of living in an environment little better than a war zone?

Volume 9, Issue 6, Posted 9:44 PM, 03.05.2013

Lakewood School Levy Madness

The Lakewood Board of Education’s recent approval of a motion to place a new 3.9 mil operating levy on the May 2013 ballot is yet another example of a well-intended effort to treat the symptoms, not the problems we face in funding public education.

Funding the increased cost of education through property tax increases is becoming a short-sighted and reactionary solution to the problems of ever-increasing expenses coupled with declining tax collections and State of Ohio funding.  Nonetheless, justifications abound. Superintendent Patterson has proclaimed, “It is needed to maintain excellence.” Co-Chair of the levy campaign committee Christina McCallum has said she believes, "the levy is essential.” Who are we to believe? As recent as June 7, 2012, in a Sun Press cover article titled “Schools Revise Financial Forecasts,  Lakewood Treasurer Rick Berdine is quoted as saying, “for fiscal years 2012 through 2016, real estate taxes which had been predicted to increase to 8% will not change.”

Volume 9, Issue 4, Posted 9:31 PM, 02.19.2013

Letter to Editor: Thank You, Elves To Elders

Dear Editor,

We wish to thank Lakewood Hospital, Hospice of the Western Reserve in Lakewood, WalMart of North Olmsted, First Federal of Lakewood in Fairview Park, Keller Williams Realty in Westlake and all the volunteers and gift givers who helped make the holiday community service program, Elves for Elders, such a success.

Through the generous donations and efforts of our community, many seniors in need who might have been overlooked this holiday season received a gift and a little bit of companionship. We were able to provide over 400 gifts to Cleveland’s Westside seniors this season.

Thanks to ALL those who helped us brighten the holidays for seniors in our community.

Sincerely,

Joe Orlando, Caring Tree Senior Care, 440-386-4660

Volume 9, Issue 1, Posted 9:24 PM, 01.08.2013

Muddled Thinking Is Cause And Result Of Language-cide

Our mother tongue, the English language, is being murdered. And this language-cide seems to be constantly getting worse. It is perpetrated not only by preschoolers or other uneducated persons, but by language professionals, such as radio and television personalities, movie stars, college graduates, and even people with doctorates. What is going on? Is grammar no longer taught in school? Or is it deemed unimportant? The misuse of grammar, caused by muddled thinking, in turn causes more confused thinking.

Volume 9, Issue 1, Posted 9:24 PM, 01.08.2013