Easterseals Northern Ohio Offers Free Speech Screenings For Children
Summer has come to an end and a new school year is here! Easterseals is helping children start the year off right by offering free speech-language screenings during September. The screening is designed to provide a quick assessment of a child’s speech-language abilities and to help determine if a comprehensive evaluation is necessary.
“Parents should be attentive to their children’s ability to express themselves from birth,” said Susan Powers, Easterseals VP of Children’s Services. “Just as we know at what age a baby should roll over or sit up, we have documented communication milestones,” added Powers.
Speech milestones include:
By age three months, smiling when spoken to
- By age six months, babbling in speech-like sounds
- By age one year, saying simple words, like bye-bye
- By age two years, putting two words together to make simple sentences, like “More cookie.”
- By age three years, having a word for almost everything
- By age four years, using detailed sentences, like “I have two red balloons at home.”
- By age five years, saying almost all sounds correctly and using the same grammar as the rest of the family
- By school age, following instructions and paying attention in class
Easterseals speech pathologists provide a wide variety of speech and language services to help children with communication delays or disorders and work with families to help children experience success. Easterseals offers services for children birth through school-age which promote early identification, diagnosis and treatment of communication issues.
Easterseals Speech-language pathologists are experienced in pediatrics, licensed by the State of Ohio & certified by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association. Please call 1-888-325-8532, ext. 101 to schedule a free speech-language screening or to learn more about Easterseals speech therapy program.
ABOUT EASTERSEALS NORTHERN OHIO
Easterseals Northern Ohio is located at 14701 Detroit Ave. in Lakewood. Easterseals is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization serving children and adults with disabilities and their families for 100 years. Easterseals Northern Ohio provides high-quality services to ensure that all children and adults with disabilities or other special needs and their families have equal opportunities to live, learn, work and play in their communities. Learn more at www.easterseals.com/noh.