Mayor Summers Gains Two Key Endorsements
Both the Lakewood Democratic Club and Cleveland Building and Construction Trades Council have voted to support the re-election of Mayor Michael Summers. Both endorsements highlight Summers’ commitment to the ideals of service, growth, and safety in Lakewood.
“I’m honored to receive these endorsements for my re-election as Mayor of Lakewood. I’m running for re-election as mayor of Lakewood because I want to continue the exciting progress our community has made and I will continue to make that progress a priority in City Hall,” said Summers.
Lakewood Democratic Club voted to endorse the Mayor for re-election at its June 25th meeting by a wide margin. The decisive vote in favor of Summers was 59 to 39 percent, a margin of 20 percent. The club is one of the oldest and most active Democratic clubs in Northeast Ohio.
"To win such by such a resounding margin is a vote of confidence from one of the most progressive, active group of Democrats in Cuyahoga County,” said Mayor Summers. "It's a statement that highly engaged citizens trust my service and progressive values, and a validation that Lakewood is on the right track with Summers as mayor."
The 30 affiliated unions of Cleveland Building and Construction Trades Council represent over 10,000 highly skilled employees trained at some of the most state-of-the-art training facilities in the country.
Among the most important accomplishments of the last five years, Summers cited the following as important to winning the endorsements:
- Lakewood has become a desired destination for Millennials and empty-nesters — and everyone in between;
- private investment in Lakewood’s housing stock has been more than $10 million in each of the past two years alone;
- Lakewood has experience more than $100 million in commercial development investments since Summers took office in 2011 (a figure that would be larger if school construction were added);
- significant improvements to streets, sewers, parking, and parks, including this year’s transformational Solstice Steps at Lakewood Park;
- growing financial reserves for Lakewood that have made its fiscal strength the best in modern memory; and
- despite shrinking budgets, keeping Lakewood Police and Fire Departments at full force, maintaining the number of patrol officers at the highest levels they’ve been in Lakewood’s history, while modernizing emergency radios, adding police cameras, and continuing to provide our emergency responders with the best training.
“We’ve made progress on all of these priorities during my first term, and we can build upon these successes to achieve even more for Lakewood,” said Summers. “It’s crucial that we maintain our focus, stay disciplined, and continue working hard.”
“I promise to continue to deliver strong and thoughtful leadership on behalf of this great city for a second term, and with the help of my Lakewood neighbors, I know more great years lie ahead for our community,” said Summers.