Is Yeast Affecting Your Health?
Gas and bloating, foggy brain, fatigue, inability to lose weight, “sick-all-over” feeling, thrush, nail fungus, yeast infections, athlete’s foot, coated tongue, diarrhea and/or constipation, allergies, heartburn or GERD, frequent colds, rashes, anxiety, depression, headaches, dry, scaly skin, acne, joint pains and stiffness, stuffiness, congestion, runny nose…
These are just some of the signs and symptoms of a Candida overgrowth. Candida albicans is a microorganism that can be found in the digestive system. It is one of over 900 species of yeast. Candida is parasitic in the human body, consuming nutrients found in the digestive tract and creating toxic by-products.
Under normal circumstances, we live in harmony with the candida, as they are part of a delicate balance of intestinal bacteria. Things can go awry though when there is an overgrowth of candida, resulting in Candidiasis or Yeast Syndrome. All of the body systems can be affected by Candidiasis and the problem can go undetected for years, or a lifetime. Candidiasis is often unrecognized unless there is a visible indication, such as thrush, nail infection or yeast infection, and these symptoms are often treated as isolated problems, when in fact, they may be just part of a much larger picture.
A candida overgrowth can occur from overuse of antibiotics, highly acidic food & drinks (like those containing refined flours and sugars), pH imbalance, birth control pills, stress, mildew & mold at home or at work, excessive cheese consumption.
The good news is that Candidiasis can be reversed and health can be restored with these 7 steps:
1. Eat a diet containing lean proteins, healthy fats, and low glycemic carbohydrates. Avoid processed foods and foods containing yeast.
2. Balance the body’s pH by eating lots of veggies, supporting your digestion with enzymes, drinking alkaline water and reducing streass.
3. Use probiotics to rebuild the healthy bacteria in the gut.
4. Kill the yeast with natural yeast fighters such as Pau D’Arco, Colloidal Silver, Garlic, Oregano, Caprylic Acid, and Tea Tree Oil.
5. Support the immune system.
6. Clear out the yeast as it dies off with systemic enzymes.
7. Repair the gut with soluble fiber, proibiotics, and l-glutamine.
Rachel Anzalone is a Naturopath, Herbalist and Certified Natural Health Professional at Holistic Lakewood.