City Of Lakewood Moves To State-Of-The-Art-Facilities
In October of 1959, the City of Lakewood dedicated the modern $1,700,000 75,000 sq. ft. Municipal Administration building at Detroit and Alameda Avenues. During the many years of Lakewood’s existence prior to 1959, city services were housed in a variety of locations. City Hall had resided in the Rhodes mansion at Lakewood Park since 1918. The Police department, Council Chambers, and the Municipal Court were spread among several structures on Warren Road.
The new Municipal Administration building was touted by then-Mayor Frank P. Celeste as a place where all departments – police, court, council and administration - would be able to “efficiently, properly and economically operate the different functions of government all under one roof.” Mayor Celeste encouraged Lakewood residents to join in the celebration of the handsome new building, which contained an auditorium, stage, fully equipped kitchen, basement meeting room, and steel fireproof furniture throughout - plus a new police radio transmission station and pistol range – stating that "The community should rally round all efforts planned to properly dedicate this new symbol of faith and confidence in Lakewood."