"Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Meg Ostrowski
Posts: 449
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:42 am

"Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

Postby Meg Ostrowski » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:20 am

From viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22267


Brian Essi wrote:Image
Foran Accuses Patterson Favre of Falsehoods.pdf


Image
Favre Response to Foran 1.24.2015.pdf


Image
School Board Minute 2.18.2014.pdf



Attached are public records obtained just last week, which coupled with other public records expose what a 37 year law enforcement and elected official, Ed Favre referred to as the "Grandest of All" "City corruption scandals." The timeline below shows that Summers orchestrated a series of backroom dealing and likely bid rigging at LHA that may violate the Clayton Act and Ohio law in an effort to divert public charitable money from LHA to his secret plans.

2010. Long-time school board member Linda Beebe proposed that the Grant Elementary property might better serve the community as a recreation center while explaining her 2010 vote to remove it from the master facilities plan.

2013: Then President of City Council, Brian Powers attempted to work with the President (Ed Favre) and Vice President of the School Board (Linda Beebe) in hopes of putting together a jointly-managed and separately funded approach to recreation that would have been financed with tax increases proposed by Mayor Summers. Favre was against the tax increase--Beebe would not speak with me despite repeated requests back in July. What is she hiding? Is she protecting Summers?

2013 LHA Trustees’ on the Select Committee (including Summers, Madigan and Bullock) formulated plans for a new foundation and “Potential development of additional health and wellness facilities” i.e. recreation center as part of a plan to demolish the hospital.

August 29, 2013, Long-time friend of Mayor Summers, Jay Foran, meets with School Superintendent Jeff Patterson and Favre to propose a dome (like CSU’s) over athletic fields across from Lakewood High School. He mentions the Cleveland Clinic as one of several potential “underwriters” of the project, i.e. funding by foundation money. Note: Mr. Foran is a Lakewood Hospital Foundation (LHF) trustee and his wife, Lynn Foran is employed by the Lakewood City Schools and serves as Summers’ mayoral campaign chairperson.

October 9, 2013 Summers’ secret “Select Committee” narrowed “strategic options” down to only three options. Family Health Campus tops the list and includes “discontinuing inpatient services…taking down the current hospital” and “Potential development of additional health and wellness facilities” i.e. the Community Recreation Center and “other attractive economic development elements.”

December 13, 2013: Mayor Summers and President Madigan supported the Council President Powers’ proposal for “The Lakewood Recreation Task Force" to discuss “forming a new Recreation Department as a joint venture between the City and School District.” Again, tax increases would finance this expansion.

February 18, 2014: Mayor Summers and Dru Siley attended a Lakewood Board of Education meeting and requested their discussions to be held in executive session i.e. secretly--that request was denied. The Mayor then discussed the possibility of a recreation center being built on the Lakewood Hospital site, an additional park property, and a property tax increase. This meeting is documented in the minutes of the Board of Education. Here are the minutes:
School Board Minute 2.18.2014.pdf


April 21, 2014: The Cleveland Clinic in collaboration with Summers issued a secret written plan to demolish Lakewood Hospital. The plan also included a Community Center to be funded through “residual resources of LHA and LHF” i.e. new foundation money. Mayor Summers, Council President Madigan and Councilman Bullock were involved in forming “the City of Lakewood’s stated goals to improve the health status of the Lakewood community” by tearing down the hospital.

April 30, 2014: Mayor Summers appoints Jay Foran to Recreation Task Force.

May 15, 2014: The Clinic’s April 21st collaboration with City Leaders is further documented and contains the following details:
1. A drawing of Community Center with pool/gym/fitness.
2. Affiliate Partners contemplated in the recreation center include--Lakewood City Schools; and Lakewood City Recreation Department.

January 14, 2015. Summers announces the Letter of Intent that includes his plan to close Lakewood Hospital and creation a new foundation.

January 24, 2015 Foran accuses Superintendent Patterson and BOE member Ed Favre of “Propagating Falsehoods” about the new foundation money and Foran’s August 2013 idea for a dome over athletic fields. Foran is outraged that public officials would make hi dome idea public even though he presented his idea in a public building, with public officials, for a public project on public property.

January 25, 2015, Favre responds to Foran’s accusations by outlining much of the timeline above concerning Summers’ requests for tax increases associated with the proposed recreation center at the hospital site. Favre, a former Lakewood policeman and detective for 37 years refers to “something going on behind the scenes” that was confirmed by the hospital closure announcement and his having been witness to another “City corruption scandal” but the lack of transparency and corruption on hospital debacle was “the grandest of them all.”

February 3, 2015 Mayor Summers attends an Active Living and Recreation Task Force meeting and referred to the proposed new foundation money and said “we need to start thinking about the best way to using this funding” Summers showed the task force members a map of the Lakewood Hospital site with the proposed CCF Family Health Center and a big chunk of green space. So while the loss of the hospital is a pending calamity on City finances and a healthcare crisis for the underserved and many others in our community, Summers is eager to start spending hospital money on a "BIG DREAM" involving recreation. To top that off he wants to use the Jacobs money he has squirreled away in the "Land Acquisition Fund" on recreation. And this guy calls himself a Democrat?

June 1, 2015, Beebe, Einhouse and Shaughnessy all sign a letter to City Council signing on to the Summers plan to demolish the hospital

June, 2015. Build Lakewood is formed with Beebe as a founding member.

On June 15, 2015, Mr. Foran told City Council and the public in a recorded statement: “I know there is a rumor out there about a recreation center or something like that and I just would say to that we talked about that at the outset of our effort long before a mention of a Lakewood Hospital” Note: the proposal to demolish the hospital and build a Recreation Center predated the creation of the Recreation Task Force. Councilman Nowlin asked Foran about the City taking over recreation Mr. Foran answered: “Within our committee, at the outset there was some discussion about that, but it was only because there was a rumor again floating that was the intention from the formation our organization. Again, the Recreation Task Force was first proposed in December, 2013 and supported by Mayor Summers and Ms. Madigan to discuss “forming a new Recreation Department as a joint venture between the City and School District” and associated tax increase.
October 26, 2015 Einhouse authors an article about himself that is published in a fake newspaper designed to promote Summers, LHA Trustees, CCF and the closing of Lakewood Hospital.

Council and the public while attempting to obtain a decision from us to approve to tear down Lakewood Hospital using hospital money and create a new foundation with hospital money. Information concealed and suppressed relates how they planned to divert, control and use the It is now clear that Mayor Summers has intentionally concealed material information from City hospital money and land to build a Community Recreation Center and increase taxes.

Here are the legal definitions of Fraud and Fraudulent Inducement

Fraud: An intentional perversion of the truth for the purpose of inducing another in reliance upon it to part with some valuable thing belonging to him or surrender a legal right. A false representation of a material fact by concealment of that which should have been disclosed, which deceives and is intended to deceive another so that he shall act upon it to his legal injury. The employment of artifice planned to prevent inquiry or escape investigation and to mislead or hinder the acquisition of information. Black’s Law Dictionary.

Fraudulent Inducement: The hiding or suppression of a material fact or circumstance which the party is legally or morally bound to disclose. Black’s Law Dictionary.

Conspiracy: a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.

So now it seems clear that there has been a longstanding and ongoing fraudulent conspiracy with Summers as the ringleader perpetrated on various members of City Council and the citizens of Lakewood.

Can we afford four more years of this corruption and scandal destroying our City, the Hospital and other institutions?


This is potentially a VERY serious situation that needs to be sorted out. I will add to Brian’s timeline that then Mayor Ed FitzGerald encouraged me to advocate for a change regarding recreation back in 2009 during the Lakewood City Schools Phase III process. This was just months before pediatric and trauma services were transferred from Lakewood to Fairview in exchange for “Centers of Excellence” which were supposed to keep Lakewood Hospital strong. According to Mayor Summers recently, some of those didn’t work out.

Without a change of leadership we may never get to the bottom of all this. Please join me in voting for Michael J. Skindell for Lakewood Mayor and WITHHOLDING your votes from Board of Education Members, Linda Beebe, Tom Einhouse and Emma Petrie-Barcelona.


“There could be anywhere from 1 to over 50,000 Lakewoods at any time. I’m good with any of those numbers, as long as it’s just not 2 Lakewoods.” -Stephen Davis
Meg Ostrowski
Posts: 449
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:42 am

Re: "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

Postby Meg Ostrowski » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:11 pm

Sorry for the distraction.

I was attempting to make a point.

Carry on.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22267


“There could be anywhere from 1 to over 50,000 Lakewoods at any time. I’m good with any of those numbers, as long as it’s just not 2 Lakewoods.” -Stephen Davis
Bridget Conant
Posts: 2628
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Re: "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:40 pm

A cabal runs this city. It's time to sweep them out.

Let's finally rid ourselves of that nincompoop Fitzgerald and his hand-picked successor.


Brian Essi
Posts: 2404
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

Re: "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

Postby Brian Essi » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:06 pm

What this election is about is to expose and rid ourselves of the elitist good old boy insiders' club.

Accountability and justice must be reinstated by the electron and by legal action.


Pae is unfit for council. Pae made false statements to the Court and the public about city finances. City risks more lawsuits if Pae appointed.
Meg Ostrowski
Posts: 449
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:42 am

Re: "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

Postby Meg Ostrowski » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:16 pm

I am appalled at what I have learned since the Mayor’s announcement in January to close our hospital. I don’t doubt that many of those involved believe they have done nothing wrong and that their rationale and plans are sound. However, I and many others feel differently. Most of us are not able to determine if their actions were within the law. I am not a fan of legal action but there are times in which it is appropriate. Given the actions of the Cleveland Clinic, the lack of transparency from this administration in the years leading up to the announcement and the overlap of responsibility and involvement of the players, this is one of those times. I agree that it seems the only way to sort this mess out.

I can't imagine how we will move forward without answers and a change of leadership.

One of my favorite posts on this forum came from Steve Davis years ago. Now might be a good time to revisit it.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10626&p=79347&hilit=as+long+as+it%27s+two+lakewoods#p79347


“There could be anywhere from 1 to over 50,000 Lakewoods at any time. I’m good with any of those numbers, as long as it’s just not 2 Lakewoods.” -Stephen Davis
Bridget Conant
Posts: 2628
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Re: "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

Postby Bridget Conant » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:48 am

What I notice in the letter to Mr Favre and the Superintendent is an accusatory tone from someone who is not in any position to take that attitude. I am appalled at the arrogance of a supposed "volunteer" bragging about HIS self-proclaimed Big Idea that was 100% his idea and effort that was also supposedly SECRET that was spilled. WHY is anything a secret when it involves taxpayer supported, public institutions?

It's that attitude in this town that a certain few have that they are somehow "special," and are just so much more clever than the rest of us.

Do me and the city a favor. Get over yourself.

Unless the leadership changes, we are in for more of this. Not just a lack of transparency, but a contempt for the citizens of Lakewood.
This issue just highlights the attitudes toward, and the treatment of, anyone not in that little "group," and that includes virtually everyone in Lakewood.

We're good enough to keep paying our taxes and funding their schemes, but that's the extent of our usefulness to them.


Brian Essi
Posts: 2404
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

Re: "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

Postby Brian Essi » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:47 am

Summers and Foran are of the same ilk as life long buddies from the LHS Class of 1972.

Thou think Foran protested too much about his efforts being his own and the need to Keep it Secret.

Perhaps he can join in the discussion as to why he expected the public officials to keep the matter "secret""?


Pae is unfit for council. Pae made false statements to the Court and the public about city finances. City risks more lawsuits if Pae appointed.
Brian Essi
Posts: 2404
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

Re: "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

Postby Brian Essi » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:58 pm

Dear Lynn Foran,

I would think as the Summers campaign manager, you would want the voters fully informed on the facts of "Grandest" corruption scandal of all.

Can you ask Jay to clarify this?

Dear Jay Foran,

You read the Deck on January 24th and responded to the School District the same day.

The BOE says you did not leave the drawings of the dome behind---were the drawings done by Westlake Reed--CCF's architects who had the top secret "Decanting Plan" drawings done for them?

Like Ed Favre, I like "your" idea of a dome.

Can we see the plans "you" had done back in 2013 all on your own?

If you're feeling "threatened"?

Call Lakewood Police 216 521 6773

The PEOPLE of Lakewood deserve better than the same old insiders playing their insiders' game of "Hide The Ball"


Pae is unfit for council. Pae made false statements to the Court and the public about city finances. City risks more lawsuits if Pae appointed.
Brian Essi
Posts: 2404
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

Re: "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

Postby Brian Essi » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Still no response.


Pae is unfit for council. Pae made false statements to the Court and the public about city finances. City risks more lawsuits if Pae appointed.
Brian Essi
Posts: 2404
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

Re: "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

Postby Brian Essi » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:36 pm

And still no response.


Pae is unfit for council. Pae made false statements to the Court and the public about city finances. City risks more lawsuits if Pae appointed.
Brian Essi
Posts: 2404
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

Re: "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

Postby Brian Essi » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Meg Ostrowski wrote:From viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22267


Brian Essi wrote:Image
Foran Accuses Patterson Favre of Falsehoods.pdf


Image
Favre Response to Foran 1.24.2015.pdf


Image
School Board Minute 2.18.2014.pdf



Attached are public records obtained just last week, which coupled with other public records expose what a 37 year law enforcement and elected official, Ed Favre referred to as the "Grandest of All" "City corruption scandals." The timeline below shows that Summers orchestrated a series of backroom dealing and likely bid rigging at LHA that may violate the Clayton Act and Ohio law in an effort to divert public charitable money from LHA to his secret plans.

2010. Long-time school board member Linda Beebe proposed that the Grant Elementary property might better serve the community as a recreation center while explaining her 2010 vote to remove it from the master facilities plan.

2013: Then President of City Council, Brian Powers attempted to work with the President (Ed Favre) and Vice President of the School Board (Linda Beebe) in hopes of putting together a jointly-managed and separately funded approach to recreation that would have been financed with tax increases proposed by Mayor Summers. Favre was against the tax increase--Beebe would not speak with me despite repeated requests back in July. What is she hiding? Is she protecting Summers?

2013 LHA Trustees’ on the Select Committee (including Summers, Madigan and Bullock) formulated plans for a new foundation and “Potential development of additional health and wellness facilities” i.e. recreation center as part of a plan to demolish the hospital.

August 29, 2013, Long-time friend of Mayor Summers, Jay Foran, meets with School Superintendent Jeff Patterson and Favre to propose a dome (like CSU’s) over athletic fields across from Lakewood High School. He mentions the Cleveland Clinic as one of several potential “underwriters” of the project, i.e. funding by foundation money. Note: Mr. Foran is a Lakewood Hospital Foundation (LHF) trustee and his wife, Lynn Foran is employed by the Lakewood City Schools and serves as Summers’ mayoral campaign chairperson.

October 9, 2013 Summers’ secret “Select Committee” narrowed “strategic options” down to only three options. Family Health Campus tops the list and includes “discontinuing inpatient services…taking down the current hospital” and “Potential development of additional health and wellness facilities” i.e. the Community Recreation Center and “other attractive economic development elements.”

December 13, 2013: Mayor Summers and President Madigan supported the Council President Powers’ proposal for “The Lakewood Recreation Task Force" to discuss “forming a new Recreation Department as a joint venture between the City and School District.” Again, tax increases would finance this expansion.

February 18, 2014: Mayor Summers and Dru Siley attended a Lakewood Board of Education meeting and requested their discussions to be held in executive session i.e. secretly--that request was denied. The Mayor then discussed the possibility of a recreation center being built on the Lakewood Hospital site, an additional park property, and a property tax increase. This meeting is documented in the minutes of the Board of Education. Here are the minutes:
School Board Minute 2.18.2014.pdf


April 21, 2014: The Cleveland Clinic in collaboration with Summers issued a secret written plan to demolish Lakewood Hospital. The plan also included a Community Center to be funded through “residual resources of LHA and LHF” i.e. new foundation money. Mayor Summers, Council President Madigan and Councilman Bullock were involved in forming “the City of Lakewood’s stated goals to improve the health status of the Lakewood community” by tearing down the hospital.

April 30, 2014: Mayor Summers appoints Jay Foran to Recreation Task Force.

May 15, 2014: The Clinic’s April 21st collaboration with City Leaders is further documented and contains the following details:
1. A drawing of Community Center with pool/gym/fitness.
2. Affiliate Partners contemplated in the recreation center include--Lakewood City Schools; and Lakewood City Recreation Department.

January 14, 2015. Summers announces the Letter of Intent that includes his plan to close Lakewood Hospital and creation a new foundation.

January 24, 2015 Foran accuses Superintendent Patterson and BOE member Ed Favre of “Propagating Falsehoods” about the new foundation money and Foran’s August 2013 idea for a dome over athletic fields. Foran is outraged that public officials would make hi dome idea public even though he presented his idea in a public building, with public officials, for a public project on public property.

January 25, 2015, Favre responds to Foran’s accusations by outlining much of the timeline above concerning Summers’ requests for tax increases associated with the proposed recreation center at the hospital site. Favre, a former Lakewood policeman and detective for 37 years refers to “something going on behind the scenes” that was confirmed by the hospital closure announcement and his having been witness to another “City corruption scandal” but the lack of transparency and corruption on hospital debacle was “the grandest of them all.”

February 3, 2015 Mayor Summers attends an Active Living and Recreation Task Force meeting and referred to the proposed new foundation money and said “we need to start thinking about the best way to using this funding” Summers showed the task force members a map of the Lakewood Hospital site with the proposed CCF Family Health Center and a big chunk of green space. So while the loss of the hospital is a pending calamity on City finances and a healthcare crisis for the underserved and many others in our community, Summers is eager to start spending hospital money on a "BIG DREAM" involving recreation. To top that off he wants to use the Jacobs money he has squirreled away in the "Land Acquisition Fund" on recreation. And this guy calls himself a Democrat?

June 1, 2015, Beebe, Einhouse and Shaughnessy all sign a letter to City Council signing on to the Summers plan to demolish the hospital

June, 2015. Build Lakewood is formed with Beebe as a founding member.

On June 15, 2015, Mr. Foran told City Council and the public in a recorded statement: “I know there is a rumor out there about a recreation center or something like that and I just would say to that we talked about that at the outset of our effort long before a mention of a Lakewood Hospital” Note: the proposal to demolish the hospital and build a Recreation Center predated the creation of the Recreation Task Force. Councilman Nowlin asked Foran about the City taking over recreation Mr. Foran answered: “Within our committee, at the outset there was some discussion about that, but it was only because there was a rumor again floating that was the intention from the formation our organization. Again, the Recreation Task Force was first proposed in December, 2013 and supported by Mayor Summers and Ms. Madigan to discuss “forming a new Recreation Department as a joint venture between the City and School District” and associated tax increase.
October 26, 2015 Einhouse authors an article about himself that is published in a fake newspaper designed to promote Summers, LHA Trustees, CCF and the closing of Lakewood Hospital.

Council and the public while attempting to obtain a decision from us to approve to tear down Lakewood Hospital using hospital money and create a new foundation with hospital money. Information concealed and suppressed relates how they planned to divert, control and use the It is now clear that Mayor Summers has intentionally concealed material information from City hospital money and land to build a Community Recreation Center and increase taxes.

Here are the legal definitions of Fraud and Fraudulent Inducement

Fraud: An intentional perversion of the truth for the purpose of inducing another in reliance upon it to part with some valuable thing belonging to him or surrender a legal right. A false representation of a material fact by concealment of that which should have been disclosed, which deceives and is intended to deceive another so that he shall act upon it to his legal injury. The employment of artifice planned to prevent inquiry or escape investigation and to mislead or hinder the acquisition of information. Black’s Law Dictionary.

Fraudulent Inducement: The hiding or suppression of a material fact or circumstance which the party is legally or morally bound to disclose. Black’s Law Dictionary.

Conspiracy: a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.

So now it seems clear that there has been a longstanding and ongoing fraudulent conspiracy with Summers as the ringleader perpetrated on various members of City Council and the citizens of Lakewood.

Can we afford four more years of this corruption and scandal destroying our City, the Hospital and other institutions?


This is potentially a VERY serious situation that needs to be sorted out. I will add to Brian’s timeline that then Mayor Ed FitzGerald encouraged me to advocate for a change regarding recreation back in 2009 during the Lakewood City Schools Phase III process. This was just months before pediatric and trauma services were transferred from Lakewood to Fairview in exchange for “Centers of Excellence” which were supposed to keep Lakewood Hospital strong. According to Mayor Summers recently, some of those didn’t work out.

Without a change of leadership we may never get to the bottom of all this. Please join me in voting for Michael J. Skindell for Lakewood Mayor and WITHHOLDING your votes from Board of Education Members, Linda Beebe, Tom Einhouse and Emma Petrie-Barcelona.


Class of 72 pals, Jay Foran and Mike Summers are getting nervous.


Pae is unfit for council. Pae made false statements to the Court and the public about city finances. City risks more lawsuits if Pae appointed.
User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 12668
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

Re: "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed May 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Brian Essi wrote:
Class of 72 pals, Jay Foran and Mike Summers are getting nervous.


Over 286+ Documents, Thousands of pages, thousands of emails, hundreds of hours of computer usage, all deemed public records, still hidden from the public, from the courts, from the media, from the investigators.

Also read: New Records: Summers Ringleader in "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22267&p=161299&hilit=new+records#p161299


.


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
T Peppard
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:49 am

Re: "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever?

Postby T Peppard » Wed May 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Brian Essi wrote:
Class of 72 pals, Jay Foran and Mike Summers are getting nervous.


Over 286+ Documents, Thousands of pages, thousands of emails, hundreds of hours of computer usage, all deemed public records, still hidden from the public, from the courts, from the media, from the investigators.

Also read: New Records: Summers Ringleader in "Grandest" City Corruption Scandal Ever
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22267&p=161299&hilit=new+records#p161299


.
Informative thread, Jim. I had no idea it went back that far. Beebe and the others who supported the closure of our hospital must go. Ed Favre reveals himself as a great man with these public documents. Greed and ignorance pervade this issue. He could have quietly abided like the others on the BOE & City Council, but he didn't.



Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests