Gary Rice - Visionary

A store house of articles, facts and discussions related to the loss of Lakewood Hospital, LHA, LHF.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Bret Callentine

Gary Rice - Visionary

Postby Bret Callentine » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:56 am

Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning and went to shovel the car out of the driveway only to find that the City of Lakewood has apparently taken Gary Rice's challenge of "just one shovel wide" waaaaaaaaay too literally. so now, in addition to the driveway, sidewalk, and walkway, I had to shovel the extra ten feet from the edge of my driveway to the only side of the freakin' street that they bothered to plow.

Thanks a lot Gary!

"I met with Bret one on one and found him impossible to deal with." - S.K.
Gary Rice

Re: Gary Rice - Visionary

Postby Gary Rice » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:18 am

Good Morning Bret,

"One shovel wide" is a good thing, and I don't remember either my dear late father or I specifying the size of the shovel to be used. :shock:

I understand your point, because while my own driveway apron is presently nice and clear, our street needs a few more runs with the city plow, and we both know what that means.... :shock:

Just keep pushin' back that snow, one shovel wide, and all will be fine. :D

Oh yeah Lakewood. That song's not just about snow either. There's a whole lot of stuff that comes along in our lives that looms before us like a mountain. Sometimes it looks overwhelming, but still...

...all you have to do is pitch in....

...for yourself, your neighbors, your community...

...Life's troubles and trials can be addressed by just starting out one-shovel-wide, and before you know it?

...that mountain is not a mountain anymore. :D

By the way, over 400 hits now on the YouTube presentation of the last song "One Shovel Wide" that Dad and I did together. Looks like we've started a Lakewood-origin movement... :D

Here's the link again, and remember that the real hero of that tune was not Dad or Gary, but rather, that wonderful lady who taught us all about pushing back that snow, one shovel wide. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cwwxvkzasY

All Dad and I did, was Observe, and record our observations... :D

Thanks too, to Rick and Cindy Benjamin, my wonderful friends who do so much for others with their music. :D

Back to the Banjo... :D

Gary Rice

Re: Gary Rice - Visionary

Postby Gary Rice » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:08 pm

I might add here that this snowy morning, there was yet ANOTHER Lakewood neighbor of mine out there going up the sidewalk with her snowblower!

One shovel wide? Good!

One snowblower wide? Awesome!

Back to the banjo... :D

Return to “Hospital Archives 2014-2015”