A letter from Toby Cosgrove

A store house of articles, facts and discussions related to the loss of Lakewood Hospital, LHA, LHF.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Bill Call

A letter from Toby Cosgrove

Postby Bill Call » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:27 am

Dear Caregivers,

As healthcare continues to experience unprecedented change, hospitals nationwide must transform the way care is delivered to meet the future needs of the communities they serve.

I am pleased to announce that Cleveland Clinic has signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) with the Lakewood Hospital Association (LHA) and the Lakewood Hospital Foundation that supports the City of Lakewood’s goal to become the healthiest city in America. The plan includes a $120 million investment in Lakewood to transition from the old model of care to one which will modernize healthcare and deliver a more sustainable way to meet the long-term needs of the Lakewood community.

Under the proposed plan, which will require approval by Lakewood City Council, a health and wellness campus will be created. As part of this, Cleveland Clinic will construct, own and operate an estimated $34 million, 62,000-square-foot family health center and a full-service emergency department that will replace Lakewood Hospital’s current facilities.

The new family health center will include primary and specialty care, radiology and lab services. Additional services will be determined based on the needs of the community.

We intend to keep Lakewood Hospital open until Avon Hospital opens in September 2016. Caregivers at Lakewood Hospital will continue to be needed and hiring will be ongoing.

Our goal is to provide every Lakewood Hospital caregiver who wants a job with an opportunity in our health system or with one of our partner organizations. At the appropriate time, our HR team will work closely with our caregivers to help them transition into new opportunities.

Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be a partner in this exciting venture with the City of Lakewood, the Lakewood Hospital Association and the Lakewood Hospital Foundation.

Thank you for supporting one another every day in putting patients first. Your hard work, dedication to our patients and the communities we serve are responsible for our ongoing success.

Sincerely,

The person that forwarded this letter to me said they were all quit amused and annoyed by the letter. One just said, more lies.

Amy Martin

Re: A letter from Toby Cosgrove

Postby Amy Martin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:23 am

"THE HEALTHIEST CITY IN AMERICA"

with more bars per square mile than any other city in America.

What an effen joke.

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:51 am

Could Toby explain precisely what the "old model of care" is? Because the Clinic sure seams to be investing a lot of money in that "old" model at their main campus, in Avon, and in other suburbs.

Is "the old model of care" code for "you're an inner ring suburb and we don't want to be there?"

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:05 am

Grace O'Malley wrote:Could Toby explain precisely what the "old model of care" is? Because the Clinic sure seams to be investing a lot of money in that "old" model at their main campus, in Avon, and in other suburbs.

Is "the old model of care" code for "you're an inner ring suburb and we don't want to be there?"

That's the oddest part of this whole issue. Lakewood Hospital must be closed because hospitals are no longer needed. However, the Cleveland Clinic will invest $250 million on a new hospital and health care campus in Avon because.....

Why?

If the new hospital was needed because of increased demand then why must they transfer all of Lakewood Hospitals business to Avon?

Another oddity:

As recently as two weeks ago Mayor Summers was telling people that Lakewood Hospital might have to be reduced to 100 beds.

When he made that statement did he know that Clinic intended to demolish Lakewood Hospital?

Nadhal Eadeh

Postby Nadhal Eadeh » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi Bill,

I know you probably posted the figures in another post. I wanted to find out the following:

-How many jobs will the city lose?
-What is the expected loss in tax revenue?

Nadhal

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:51 pm

Nadhal Eadeh wrote:Hi Bill,

I know you probably posted the figures in another post. I wanted to find out the following:

-How many jobs will the city lose?
-What is the expected loss in tax revenue?

Nadhal

Nadhal

You are looking at this from the wrong angle, totally. So much spin out there, hard to see
the smoke for the trees.

Your answers 1,108
Between 800,000 and 1.5 million

BUT...

This deal in its entirety, is pretty damn close to the best case scenario over 13 years.

Value of Hospital over that time in its' current form, $100 - $150 million.

University Hospital, no interest, Metro no interest, Summa, Kaiser, etc. no interest. So
because of the weak contract, Avon opens, Lakewood becomes a place to store stuff.
Everything falls below value, and we get as little as $13 mill over 13 years.

This is the deal, the Clinic put on the table, what are the other offers?

There are none.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Hospital Archives 2014-2015”