“Unacceptable behavior,” by Councilman Shawn Juris

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

stephen davis

“Unacceptable behavior,” by Councilman Shawn Juris

Postby stephen davis » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:06 am

Last week, I received an e-mail from Lakewood’s Ward 3 Council Representative, Shawn Juris. I wish that I hadn’t. The subject line is “Unacceptable behavior.”

Shawn recently started a thread on this Lakewood Observer Observation Deck forum, titled “Next Board Meeting” (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11026), asking to “stop in” on the next LO Board meeting.

Shawn Juris wrote:When is the next LO Board meeting. I would like to stop in and address the group.

If you have followed the Observation Deck through its many years, you would know that discussions sometimes get quite heated. Participants, using their real names, often disagree in this public forum.

Over the course of time, Shawn Juris and Lakewood Observer publisher, Jim O’Bryan, have managed to have conflict over many issues, especially in this forum.

Here is a screen shot of the Shawn Juris’ e-mail to me, minus part of my e-mail address.

In case you have trouble reading that, here is the full text of the letter.

Shawn Juris wrote:Steve, I am sick and tired of the Lakewood Observer's bullying and shenanigans. Jim O'Bryan has got to go. I will use the full force and power of my position to make this clear. I look forward to our meeting.

Obviously, he still wants a meeting.

Shawn Juris wrote:I look forward to our meeting.

It seems that the message he wants to present to the LO Board is that “Jim O’Bryan has got to go.” By that, he may mean that Jim should stop being the publisher, give up ownership, leave town, or something else.

Shawn Juris wrote:Jim O'Bryan has got to go.

Remember, Jim is a private businessman in Lakewood. He has products here in Lakewood, and his media products are licensed throughout the county to the Heights Observer, Parma Observer, Westlake/Bay Village Observer, Great Lakes Courier, Campus District Observer, Collinwood Observer, Euclid Observer, Lakewood Observer, and others.

Ironically, as Lakewood officials talk about “economic development” ad nauseam, Councilman Juris attacks this private business owner. Agree with Jim O’Bryan, or not, his products are a community asset that have served our city, library, schools, and nearly every non-profit organization in town.

What I have written so far is an aside to the real issue with the communication from Shawn Juris. This line is the most telling and disturbing.

Shawn Juris wrote:I will use the full force and power of my position to make this clear.

This aggressive language can be interpreted as threatening to use the power of office to end a private business, or to separate the owner from his business. This is a Lakewood City Council member who is threatening to use the “full force and power” of his position against a Lakewood business because of “bullying and shenanigans.” Shenanigans? Shawn sounds like the bully, and his threat to use his position on Council against a citizen is “unacceptable behavior.”

Shawn Juris wrote:Jim O'Bryan has got to go. I will use the full force and power of my position to make this clear.

So, what does this statement imply? Hubris? Conspiracy? A threat? Abuse of power? Restraint of 1st Amendment rights? Is it ethical? Is it even legal? What are the limits of force and power? The message is not "clear."

This e-mail should be an embarrassment to Shawn Juris. Unfortunately, it will probably embarrass his colleagues on City Council, and other officials at City Hall. This statement by Shawn should be denounced by all parties.

Lakewood residents should be treated evenly under the law and practices of the city. They should be confident that each is treated fairly, and without retribution. Shawn’s communication indicates that this is not the case. It is up to the entire body of city officials to make it clear that Lakewood will not follow this path.

Steve

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
Grace O'Malley

Re: “Unacceptable behavior,” by Councilman Shawn Juris

Postby Grace O'Malley » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:11 am

Someone has definitely "got to go" and it's not Jim O'Bryan.

What hubris!

Need I remind Shawn that "The full force and power" of his position derives not from himself, but from me and every other Lakewood citizen.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:54 am

This communication from Councilman Juris is outrageous. I have been a participant and observer of Lakewood government and politics for over forty years. During that time I have interacted with quite a wide variety of individuals. While many could be described as competitive or aggressive, never have I witnessed or heard about such a low life, thuggish attitude.
Although it has never been done before, I would suggest to the other six council members that this demands a public rebuke or reprimand on the part of Lakewood City Council.
The reputation and integrity of that body demands no less.

Stan Austin

Ivor Karabatkovic

Postby Ivor Karabatkovic » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:58 am

Is there a way that a councilman "goes" before his term is up? This has to violate rules, let alone First Amendment rights related to freedom of the press.

My parents are Ward 3 residents, that's where I reside when I'm home to visit, and this is unacceptable behavior on behalf of an elected official. This is not how I want Ward 3 to be represented, and I hope this type of behavior reflects only on the rogue councilman currently representing Ward 3, not the fine people of Lakewood who call Ward 3 their home.

"Hey Kiddo....this topic is much more important than your football photos, so deal with it." - Mike Deneen
Scott Meeson

Postby Scott Meeson » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 am

Very sad and stupid!

Scott Meeson :(

If you would understand anything, observe its beginning and its development.
- Aristotle
Terry Tekushan

Postby Terry Tekushan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:39 pm

A perfect illustration of pathological authoritarianism, complete with the revelation of eliminationist desires.

Peoples throughout history have paid dearly for the deeds of those with this outlook.

Shawn Juris

Postby Shawn Juris » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Steve,
I stopped reading after the part where it says I sent an email. I had not sent you anything through email and I'm incredibly concerned about whoever is manipulating my business account in such a way. I trust that you and the rest of the Observer staff will correct this false information and do what is necessary to correct this error.

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:20 pm

Well Shawn, if you are claiming that you did not send that email and someone is "manipulating" your account, that is YOUR responsibility to investigate if there is an alleged breach of YOUR email security. Have you contacted the police? Has a report been made?

But, if you did send it and you think you can pass it off as a fake email, rest assured that tracing the IP back is fairly easy to do.

Stephen Eisel

Postby Stephen Eisel » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Grace O'Malley wrote:Well Shawn, if you are claiming that you did not send that email and someone is "manipulating" your account, that is YOUR responsibility to investigate if there is an alleged breach of YOUR email security. Have you contacted the police? Has a report been made?

But, if you did send it and you think you can pass it off as a fake email, rest assured that tracing the IP back is fairly easy to do.

Dick Tracy is on the case :)

Mike Zannoni

Postby Mike Zannoni » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:59 pm

Shawn Juris wrote:Steve, I stopped reading after the part where it says I sent an email. I had not sent you anything through email and I'm incredibly concerned about whoever is manipulating my business account in such a way. I trust that you and the rest of the Observer staff will correct this false information and do what is necessary to correct this error.

If you read, Mr. Juris, Mr. Davis' post does not say that you "sent an email". Mr. Davis says that he "received an email", which presumably means it was forwarded to his email from the Observation Deck message system on which you sent him this message. Here is no presumption of privacy between a public official and a member of the board of a media establishment, no matter how the message was sent.

Are you denying that you sent him a message of any kind? If not, your objection is just an evasion of the actual problem: a public official has threatened to use the power of his office against an individual of the community. Unless you deny sending the content of this message in any form, or stand up for the ethical correctness of this threat, there is nothing left for you but a mea culpa. This may well be prosecutable under federal law.

Mike Zannoni
Lakewoodite
Shawn Juris

Postby Shawn Juris » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Mark,
I have absolutely not sent an email to Mr. Davis. That message that was posted did not come from me.

Grace,
Given that I just found out about it now. I have not yet had the opportunity to begin, beyond posting a message to correct the issue.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:51 pm

Shawn Juris said--

have absolutely not sent an email to Mr. Davis. That message that was posted did not come from me.

The desktop copy as presented by Mr. Davis CLEARLY, UNEQUIVOCALLY, shows the sender to be your agency.

Stan Austin

J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Happens all the time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing

Just putting that out there. I also find it is usually helpful to verify sources before posting private communication items on a public forum, more FYI, but that is just me.

... it's not like facts are needed on the Deck anyhow.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”