10 American Cities That Are Dead Forever

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Bryan Schwegler

Re: 10 American Cities That Are Dead Forever

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:53 am

That's a pretty weak story. It's reasoning for the "dead" cities is very superficial and they certainly don't support the assertion that those cities are permanently "dead". It's a nice catchy title though.

Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:35 pm

Bryan Schwegler wrote:That's a pretty weak story. It's reasoning for the "dead" cities is very superficial and they certainly don't support the assertion that those cities are permanently "dead".

That depends on the meaning of the phrase "dead city".

There are a lot of people living in Detroit,. They live in small enclaves seperated by thousands of acres of vacant lots subisting on welfare checks, government make work programs, hand outs, prostitution, drug dealing and a dwindling number of private sector jobs.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article ... 96,00.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/fina ... rvive.html

Detroit isn't exactly dead. A better phrase might be Zombie Cities. Maybe a more accurate title would be "10 American Cities That Are Undead Forever".

So far Cleveland has escaped the fate of Detroit.

According to the Scene, many civic "leaders" knew the Cleveland Port Authorty's plans were, at best, a foolish waste of money but they were to "afraid" to say so publically.

If our "leadership" is afraid of the Port Authority who aren't they afraid of? And if they live in that much fear what makes you think they have what it takes to reverse course?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:39 am

Bill Call wrote:There are a lot of people living in Detroit,. They live in small enclaves seperated by thousands of acres of vacant lots subisting on welfare checks, government make work programs, hand outs, prostitution, drug dealing and a dwindling number of private sector jobs.

Bill

I have read this a number of times. Are you trying to say that prostitution and drug dealing
are not private sector jobs? Or that these are dwindling with other private sector jobs?

Bill Call wrote:According to the Scene, many civic "leaders" knew the Cleveland Port Authorty's plans were, at best, a foolish waste of money but they were to "afraid" to say so publically.

If our "leadership" is afraid of the Port Authority who aren't they afraid of? And if they live in that much fear what makes you think they have what it takes to reverse course?

There are those pesky "civic leaders" that have a great talent for turning a blind eye to
the people they are serving, just like that bad server when you need a clean spoon, or
hot sauce. You know the ability to never see you the customer waving, dancing, clearing,
your throat, etc.

Which take me back to this misconception that the band that played "Near My God To Thee" were heroes. No the people helping people helping others into lifeboats were heroes.
The band mas merely dazed and confused so just kept on playing and billing for the
music they played as the ship sunk.

Oh those pesky civic leaders.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:40 pm

even recently Detroit produced The White Stripes.

The White Stripes are the greatest contemporary band.

most of the sunbelt built in the last 30 years is doomed...
once gasoline hits 5 bucks a gallon.

The feint of indignant congressmen is that China's currency is artificially undervalued.
Our constitution gives our Congress the power to regulate U.S. currency, not chinese currency. America's currency is at least 40 percent overvalued against the world's factory. that means our gasoline is 40 or 60 percent undervalued. I don't quite remember the arithmetic.

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:56 am

ryan costa wrote:even recently Detroit produced The White Stripes.

The White Stripes are the greatest contemporary band.

Ryan

Nothing more than a modern Cowsills, or Jackson Family!

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
ryan costa

Postby ryan costa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:35 pm

Detroit is the most modern city in America.

There is no escaping modernity.

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Ellen Cormier

Postby Ellen Cormier » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:50 pm

Land and housing has become so cheap here in Cleveland. This will make the region extremely ripe for reinvestment. We have water and we still have excellent amenities.

I think we need to become a telecommuting hub and lure people from high priced locations like Toronto and the entirety of the west coast and desert regions. second, we need to go full on investment into alternative energy manufacturing and also become a hub again for immigrants like Toronto is now. All three of those elements can feed on each other in conjunction with our thriving medical, arts and higher education industries. We need to quit waiting for the next big thing and just be the next big thing. The stars are all in alignment. The death card is just a dramatic symbolization of change in a tarot reading.

Return to “Urban Dynamics”