Restaurant Reviews

Cooking secrets, tips, recipes and discussions featuring The Lakewood Observer's head chef, Chef Geoff (Jeff Endress), conversations about food, and restaurants.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jill Jusko

Restaurant Reviews

Postby Jill Jusko » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:19 am

I have a question about the Restaurant Reviews section of the Observer web site that I've been mulling over. Why are reviews allowed to be posted anonymously when everywhere else on the site real names are required? That seems to go against everything the site is about.

Jim O'Bryan

Re: Restaurant Reviews

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:38 am

Jill Jusko wrote:I have a question about the Restaurant Reviews section of the Observer web site that I've been mulling over. Why are reviews allowed to be posted anonymously when everywhere else on the site real names are required? That seems to go against everything the site is about.

Jill

Actually there are a couple areas you do not have to leave names on the website. You also
do not need to register to read or use the website. From day one the site was created to get
information out to all. WE also believed you have to allow some interaction for all.

With that said, we have just partnered with a top web design group for some major updates,
and massive upgrade. Do you think that should be changed? How would you change it? Do
you have any other ideas for the front page?

As always thank you for your input.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Jill Jusko

Postby Jill Jusko » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:46 am

I understand not using names to read the text; readers aren't leaving any comments. But leaving the restaurant reviews open to anonymous postings also leaves it open to the same sorts of abuses you are trying to avoid by requiring real names elsewhere. At least in my opinion.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:51 am

Jill Jusko wrote:I understand not using names to read the text; readers aren't leaving any comments. But leaving the restaurant reviews open to anonymous postings also leaves it open to the same sorts of abuses you are trying to avoid by requiring real names elsewhere. At least in my opinion.

Jill

As always you bring some very valid points to the table.

All answers are screened through the editorial process on the front of the site. Answers
to questions, reviews, links, photos, classifieds, and the other 2 groups being added. So
I suppose at the time, we looked at it as another part of the paper. I believe we can turn
those features on, we also have a contest feature where if you leave your name, and we
run your review, we will pay for that dinner when you turn in your receipt.

I guess we should review that and fire it up.

Again, thank you for the time and the input.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Heather Ramsey

Postby Heather Ramsey » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:we also have a contest feature where if you leave your name, and we
run your review, we will pay for that dinner when you turn in your receipt.

We do?!? I need to start writing some things up!

Return to “Lakewood Food / Restaurants”