Need Kitchen Cupboard Doors Dipped

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Natalie Schrimpf

Need Kitchen Cupboard Doors Dipped

Postby Natalie Schrimpf » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi everyone,

We're trying to remove layers of paint from our 103-year-old kitchen cupboard doors. We tried to do it ourselves but realized we need them professionally dipped to remove the multiple paint layers properly.

We used to go to Near West Woodworks on W. 25th Street, but can't seem to contact them. Are they out of business?

Can anyone recommend a company/person to call?

Thanks.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:36 pm

Natalie--- The best I can do at the moment is give you a general location. I used a company on Scranton Road, down in the Flats. I think it was in the near Tremont area. I don't see it listed in the Yellow Pages. So, maybe if you get down there and ask where it might be.
Nevertheless, they would dip doors. railings, etc and the paint would be removed at a time and dollar affordable price.
Tell us if you're successful in finding the business and in the meantime I'll try to get a more specific address.
Stan

Charlie Page

Postby Charlie Page » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:20 pm

Good timing on the topic...I need a few doors dipped as part of our kitchen remodel :)

I was going to sue her for defamation of character but then I realized I had no character – Charles Barkley
Will Brown

Postby Will Brown » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:00 pm

A few years ago I was talking to a paint guru, and he said he had discontinued his paint stripping business as EPA compliance was so expensive he could not afford it. Most of the places I see now advertising as paint strippers are actually blasters and, while that may be suited for metals, I wouldn't risk it on wood.

Its strange, but if the process is so unenvironmental, I wonder why every hardware or paint store sells the chemicals for doing it yourself. I guess the EPA only goes after businesses, not individuals.

I did a lot of paint removal in my house; nine paint coatings in one room that I counted. For doors, windows, and moldings, I removed them to do the stripping and that made it a lot easier, but it still took multiple applications, and careful attention to avoid raising the grain (I ended up just sanding once the wood was stripped) and warpage. I didn't worry a lot about lead, as I wasn't sanding the paint, nor eating the chips. But apparently at one time milk based paint was popular, and that is the toughest paint I have ever come across; it took multiple coats of stripper and a lot of heavy scraping to get it off, but the results were worth it. I still can't believe people painted over the lovely wood that was used in many of these homes.

You might ask at some of the real hardware stores around, as many of them have a list of tradesmen and may be able to give you a lead. Rocklers, too, may have some suggestions.

Joe Ott

Postby Joe Ott » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:21 pm

Natalie,

Being an avid woodworker, furniture and cabinet builder, there is only one person who I would trust to do this.

His name is Jeff Jewitt. He is an author of many finishing books, a contributing editor to FineWoodworking magazine, and one of the most highly regarded experts in the field.

Best of all, he is here in Cleveland, off Madison not far from West Blvd.

I believe he has the equipment for dipping large items. At least I know he used to.

Check:
http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/

Or call 216-631-5309 Monday thru Thursday 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
No affiliation what soever.

Good luck.

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”