The Plain Dealer Discovers an Unusual Deal

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Bill Call

The Plain Dealer Discovers an Unusual Deal

Postby Bill Call » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:30 am

It seems the PD has discovered that there is something unusual in having the County pay $1 billion for a facility that will be given to a private developer:

http://www.cleveland.com/

We never learn.

If the medical center/convention center is such an economic gold mine then MMPI wouldn't mind a slight change to the agreement.

The City of Cleveland should lease the land to MMPI for 20 years. At the end of the 20 year period the land would revert back to the City. Since the convention center cannot be moved the City would then own the convention center.

Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:39 am

The whole thing is a sham and we will be screwed sooner or later.

Charlie Page

Postby Charlie Page » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:58 am

I agree...what a taxpayer shakedown deal

This whole thing should be put on a shelf until the County corruption probe is complete

Might be put on a shelf anyway...good luck getting a billion in this credit market

I was going to sue her for defamation of character but then I realized I had no character – Charles Barkley
Valerie Molinski

Postby Valerie Molinski » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:26 am

Charlie Page wrote:
This whole thing should be put on a shelf until the County corruption probe is complete

I agree. I am consistently stunned that these people are still out there making decisions affecting our city as they are under federal investigation. They need to be placed on leave. It's disgusting to me.

Bill Call

g

Postby Bill Call » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:44 pm

Valerie Molinski wrote:I agree. I am consistently stunned that these people are still out there making decisions affecting our city as they are under federal investigation. They need to be placed on leave. It's disgusting to me.

Don't pay any attention to the fancy explanations. Here is the deal in a nut shell:

Cuyahoga County will spend $1 billion to build a convention center.
Cuyahoga County will give the convention center to a private company.
The private company will run the convention center and keep any profits.
Cuyahoga County will pay the private company $8 million per year to run the convention center.

We are also set to spend $1 billion to relocate the port of Cleveland without first asking two key questions:

1. Why relocate the port? and more importantly
2. Do we need a port? (We really don't but that's a battle for a different day).

Return to “Urban Dynamics”