Time For An Empty Store Front Tax?

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:52 am

I don't think that would go over too well. It would just be one more burden on property owners. I would think that the have every incentive in the economy to keep the store fronts filled.

Unless of course you could prove that they are a slum lord living out of state then tax the hell out of them ;-)

Bill Call

g

Postby Bill Call » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:15 pm

Jim DeVito wrote: I would think that the have every incentive in the economy to keep the store fronts filled.

Two years ago I looked at Detroit Avenue commercial building. For some reason I thought it might be a good investment. The building was a disgrace both inside and out. The apartments and store fronts were 50% vacant. The owner had the building for 40 years. Over that 40 year period he hadn't spent $100 on improvements . His excuse was he was still making money and anyway some day the City might want to develop that area and he could insist on a high price. Far higher than he would get on the open market.

Translation: Since I don't live in Lakewood I don't care if my building is an eyesore. When Lakewood wants to make some improvements they pay my price or nothing happens.

Jim DeVito wrote:Unless of course you could prove that they are a slum lord living out of state then tax the hell out of them ;-)

Lakewood is the colony of outside investors who take but do not give back. Its time we declared our independence.

We now have a situation where apartment owners turn their buildings into halfway houses and then sue the City when the City wants building codes enforced and laws obeyed. It's time the City started charging more for those who use the City as their cash cow.

The Four Four Oh for rent free ride should end.

ryan costa

bars and cars

Postby ryan costa » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:24 pm

The Colonial Arcade seems to have lost a few inside shops recently. It keeps up some nice facades in the windows though.

If the urban storefronts are commercially obsolete, it might do to brick up the front windows and turn the ground floors into apartments. or tear the building down and build a three story garage and storage rental building

"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
Bill Call

Postby Bill Call » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:25 am

Jim DeVito wrote:I don't think that would go over too well. It would just be one more burden on property owners. I would think that the have every incentive in the economy to keep the store fronts filled.

Unless of course you could prove that they are a slum lord living out of state then tax the hell out of them ;-)

A auto repair shop (owned by a guy from Westlake) uses City streets to store cars under repair. In summer months he uses City streets as repair bays.

He owns the property across the street. The building is an eyesore and 90% vacant. From the looks of it he hasn't put 10 cents in maintenance or improvements. If the City wanted the land for parking or development I'm sure he would insist on 5 times the appraised value.

To this owner (and others) who have owned property for years the value is not in income generated but the potential ransom to be paid by the City or developer.

A vacant store front tax would at least provide a financial incentive to improve the property.

Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:17 am

I will agree on this one but is that not why we have building codes? Do we have some kind of law requiring buildings to not look like crap? Perhaps we should...

Return to “Urban Dynamics”